No food for trip home?

skrapngal

you guys need to reread my original post. The bus will make several stops, but I'm trying to cut costs a little.

Ummmm.....cutting costs is one thing but stopping for a very inexpensive meal is another. What will it cost you at most.....$10.00????

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should try to cut a deal at Guest Services. Tell them you were planning on taking food from the ship to save money for the ride home but instead of doing this ask them if they will give you an equivalent amount of cash instead. :D:D:D

i did not phrase the question correctly

why is it safe to bring in a factory sealed sandwich/bag of chips etc. when its not safe for 'other stuff' you have on the ship. the food i literally have been eating for a week.

because the 'other stuff' contains items that may not be introduced locally all willy nilly.

biggest perpetrator obviously is fruit, which can contain insects or other icky things. but even a sandwich you made yourself from the buffet is prohibited because they say so. just ask California why they are so anal about it( entire crops were decimated when something snuck in that wasn't native)

be grateful you aren't pulling into OZ or New Zealand. they are even MORE anal about stuff.. some prepackage items WILL NOT be allowed in. (voice of experience)

Pre-packaged foods have removed these things and are safe to travel with just about anywhere. .

this is something i did not know. so if i buy prepackaged stuff in china, bermuda, etc etc, its specially prepared so that un/intentionally is OK to pass customs regs? for instance a bag of chips or some candy that i know was not made in bermuda is something i brought back because i love to try new things. so the countries that made those things do things to the food to make it comply with all the foreign laws

this is silly but i always wondered about bubble wrap. when i order something from china and i pop the bubbles, am i getting in an diseases etc?

its factory sealed.

I would only consider the shelf stable lunchables, not the ones that require refrigeration.

I love the little mini tuna salad kits.. everything is included, even the spoon.[/quote

No one should be subjected to tuna smell in close quarters such as a bus. Just buy lunch or snacks at the stops - compared to the price of a cruise - it really is "small potatoes".

No one should be subjected to tuna smell in close quarters such as a bus. Just buy lunch or snacks at the stops - compared to the price of a cruise - it really is "small potatoes".

Nothing wrong with the smell of tuna in my books! :cool:

be grateful you aren't pulling into OZ or New Zealand. they are even MORE anal about stuff.. some prepackage items WILL NOT be allowed in. (voice of experience)

So very true - remember the post from a couple of years ago, little girl slipped a leftover apple from lunch on the plane into her mom's tote bag without her knowledge. Mom stepped off the plane into a $300 fine. Some granola bars, for example, may contain seeds that they don't want introduced into their ecosystem, thus making a prepackaged item forbidden.

I don't think anyone has pointed out that if you are caught having lied on your Custom's Declaration, you will be permanently flagged in their database and will likely have special attention at every future border crossing. You can also kiss goodbye getting approved for Nexus or Global Entry. Not worth it to save $10 IMO.

OP, here's what you do. Your last night in the MDR for dinner, ask for the 'to go' box menu from your wait staff. It will offer you a selection of items to check/mark. These items will be placed in a thermatically sealed, wrapped box and then delivered to customs the morning you depart. When you approach the customs, give them your name and cabin number. It will be retrieved and handed to you.

Enjoy your cruise.

I fully agree with that, but this bus will certainly have a stop or two. Very likely at a restaurant. So they'll be able to get out and eat their food that they brought.

Or they'll realize that eating at Denny's is a better idea than eating some food they snuck off and thought sounded good 8 hours earlier. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will be getting off Anthem on March 12 and boarding a bus for a 12 hour ride back to Atlantic Canada. I've packed some ziploc bags and stretch wrap thinking of picking up a wrap or a sandwich at Cafe Two270 on the eve of disembarkation to cut some costs on the way home.

Just read in one thread that it wouldn't be allowed? I know that dogs at Customs/Border patrol in Bayonne smell luggage, but do they smell your backpack?

Incredible! You do not have the right temperature to store sandwhiches overnight so I bet those dogs will go wild with the smell in your backpack or wherever you are planning to hide this food. I would be more concerned with bacterial build up causing gastrointestinal issues due to lack of proper storage. Add lack of the right storage temps to several hours on a bus and you may have more trips to the bus facilities for waste disposal than issues with Customs. I would not want to lie in writing to Customs/Border patrol over saving a few dollars. If you have ever cruised, you have seen the signs on any ship stating NO food is to be taken off the ship. Ports upon arrival state NO food is allowed to be taken from the ships.

How much is a fresh sandwhich? Less than $5.00?

Yes US and Canadian prisons are full of sandwich smuggling felons...........:rolleyes:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I was thinking the same thing.

I love how these type of topics always bring out all the staunch rule followers. OP, my advice to you is NEVER bring up topics like this on here. 99.9% of the folks that respond do NOT break rules in their daily lives and most certainly not when it comes to saving money while cruising. I suspect some won't even purchase the duty free items, because they're afraid of being jammed up on an IRS audit, somehow.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I was thinking the same thing.

I love how these type of topics always bring out all the staunch rule followers. OP, my advice to you is NEVER bring up topics like this on here. 99.9% of the folks that respond do NOT break rules in their daily lives and most certainly not when it comes to saving money while cruising. I suspect some won't even purchase the duty free items, because they're afraid of being jammed up on an IRS audit, somehow.

Some of us actually work in and around these industries and recognize the economic impact of a foreign animal disease or fruit pest. While you're laughing at us, consider that estimates are that ONE case of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (so called mad cow disease) in 2003 cost the US meat industries as much as $16B. Foot and mouth disease in the UK was astronomically higher. BSE wasn't introduced by a traveler, but FMD probably was. This is not a trivial rule like speeding on the interstate.

Some of us actually work in and around these industries and recognize the economic impact of a foreign animal disease or fruit pest. While you're laughing at us, consider that estimates are that ONE case of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (so called mad cow disease) in 2003 cost the US meat industries as much as $16B. Foot and mouth disease in the UK was astronomically higher. BSE wasn't introduced by a traveler, but FMD probably was. This is not a trivial rule like speeding on the interstate.

Yeah, and someone bringing a sandwich off the ship could potentially wipe out the entire region, right? Humans, themselves, are the biggest spreaders of disease...not things. But, since you can't feasibly prevent folks from traveling, you have to pick on the lowest hanging fruit. (pun intended)

I always got a kick out of the agricultural inspection stations in California, miraculously preventing fruit flies from entering their state. Problem is, the stations are positioned well inside the state. Maybe the Dept. Of Ag. figures the flies are like illegal aliens and will respect the borders and laws of the state, and not just fly around the station.

you guys need to reread my original post. The bus will make several stops, but I'm trying to cut costs a little.

I am the same way but normally drive from Portland Maine back to New Brunswick Canada. I would never chance brining a sandwich off the ship, my luck the tomato would be considered a vegetable. go to wendys or subway a $5-$6 meal isn't really going to make or break anyone. Just have one less drink on the cruise ship ;)

plan accordingly and you will be fine

PS. I seen that trip on a website. Looks like it will be fun. Enjoy

Read a post for critiquing? That's not the way things are done here!

OP, here's what you do. Your last night in the MDR for dinner, ask for the 'to go' box menu from your wait staff. It will offer you a selection of items to check/mark. These items will be placed in a thermatically sealed, wrapped box and then delivered to customs the morning you depart. When you approach the customs, give them your name and cabin number. It will be retrieved and handed to you.

Enjoy your cruise.

they already do this for NCL Haven guests

I just saw the dog sit down near one of the departing passengers waiting at customs. This person denied having any food, but was found with a sandwich. They removed the family from the line. No idea what happened after that.

Personally I want departure to go smoothly. I would not risk it. Buy something that is already wrapped as you are getting ready for deprture and hope your bus stops somewhere along the way.

Yeah, and someone bringing a sandwich off the ship could potentially wipe out the entire region, right? Humans, themselves, are the biggest spreaders of disease...not things. But, since you can't feasibly prevent folks from traveling, you have to pick on the lowest hanging fruit. (pun intended)

I always got a kick out of the agricultural inspection stations in California, miraculously preventing fruit flies from entering their state. Problem is, the stations are positioned well inside the state. Maybe the Dept. Of Ag. figures the flies are like illegal aliens and will respect the borders and laws of the state, and not just fly around the station.

It doesn't matter whether you agree or not with the rules about bringing sandwiches or with agricultural inspection. Getting caught breaking those rules or other rules at customs is going to be an unpleasant experience. Probably most who get caught were unaware it is not allowed. Only fools would break the rules if they are aware of them.

Wow! I am blown away by the all of the rude, and just plain mean responses on this thread! To the OP, I apologize for that. The simple answer is that you can ONLY take pre-packaged food like potato chips, boxed cereal or yogurt. You may want to bring some protein bars from home. Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

As others have stated, introduction of pests and disease can decimate agriculture, a huge and obviously important industry. I know from experience the heartbreak of leaving salamis and cheeses in France and Italy, but my personal pleasure counts for nothing in comparison with the harm that could result from selfish rule-breaking.

My advice is always: Bring back all you want, but eat it first.

No, your (hypothetical) sandwich probably doesn't have anything wrong with it. But it could. Why take the chance? If you saw all the trenches full of burning animal corpses on the news some years ago with the Foot and Mouth problems in the UK, you might not be so cavalier about it. Things like that actually CAN be caused by just one sandwich in the wrong place at the wrong time.

People who obey the rules are not always sheeple. I don't like rules for the sake of rules, but this one has good reasons behind it, and is very easy to obey. I'll go along happily.

Edited by lisiamc

I left a river boat in Basel at 3:30am for a 6am flight to FRA with a breakfast box (packaged by the boat for us to take - not smuggled) in my backpack. I ate the boxed food at FRA before boarding the flight to Washington, DC. 7 hours later in luggage at IAD this cute little beagle came over and sat down at my feet, followed by a USDA officer, and I got to visit the infamous little room. Officers were polite when I explained about the long eaten sandwiches, but were still very thorough in their search (which indeed found nothing). Truly poor advice. The two main things USDA looks for are fruits and meat (such as beef sandwiches). The worst that can happen to you is far more than having to turn over your food. The US Customs Declaration Form 6059B that every disembarking passengers has to fill out, sign and turn in specifically asks if you bring in fruits, vegetables, meats, etc. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties. Buying lunch on the way home is a lot cheaper.

There is a good reason most countries ha ve such laws. The WORst , than can happen is you won't be caught with what you smuggle i could cause infestastion that does efvironmental damge or qgriculture diseases etc

Edited by sail7seas