Anyone else prefer mid sized or smaller ships to the larger ones.

We agree that Freedom class is plenty big enough for us. We are also more of the "cruise to be at sea" mindset and are not big fans of the newer, more inward focused ships. I think some of that depends upon when you started cruising. If you started during the Voyager class era you are probably more likely to consider that a "small" ship. We started during the Sovereign class era and those ships were enormous to us, and the Majesty still seems big enough for us. We do miss the plentiful balcony cabins on those size ships though. We do prefer smaller, more intimate ships. We do not need to be entertained 24/7 while on the ship and prefer relaxation and enjoying the sea. That said, the new ships are hugely popular so there must be a demand there. We will sail the smaller and middle sized ships as long as they are out there though.

I cruise to "see" the "sea" from almost anywhere on the ship and you can't do that on most of the bigger ships. I love to be able to sit in the Centrum and view the ocean from where I am sitting, or sit on the Promenade deck outside and watch the world go by.

That's just me, but that is what I like and that is what I do. You can have your bigger ships and when the smaller ships leave the fleet, then I'll decide what I want to do after that. For now, give me the smaller ships.....

It's definitely not just you!! The larger ships seem to be more 'inward facing', rather than focused on the sea and the sailing experience. If I had a family to entertain, I might consider the larger ships, but for now, I love the small ships and will see you on the Promenade!

Jan

I can not agree stronger with the op. The larger ships lose the romance of cruising. The DOWNTON ABBYish appeal.

Now the larger ships would be great for the longer cruises say trans Atlantic with no or very few ports.

We booked Anthem for a 12 day cruise for this reason. Unfortunately there was norovirus on the ship and all was shut down for most of the cruise and we had to come back 2 days early for bad weather.

Anyway I prefer no larger than Freedom.

I'm with you. Oasis class is to big for my taste. I felt like I was in a shopping mall not a cruise ship. I could not feel the motion of the ocean at all. I will always be loyal to Royal but will only book Freedom class or smaller.

I look at the number of levels that have verandas. Four levels to me is the limit. When you see added on levels there really Is not a proportional increase in length or beam of the ship.. Ships with 8 decks of verandas are no way twice as large as those with 4.

We have been on most every size from the days of the Zenith to the large open back megas on Royal Caribbean and prefer the mid size to the larger.

OMO

bosco

Any ship with more than 4 (FOUR) levels of veranda cabins is too big. When the ships have 5-6-7-8 levels of verandas there is no way they have increased the ships actual size to the same proportional passenger increase.

An 8 veranda (apartment house) is not twice as large at a more aesthetic 4 level (cruise ship).

OMO

bosco.

We enjoy the entertainment options on the big ships but otherwise prefer something smaller. We cruise to see the ocean and go to new islands. Not possible with the behemoth ships. We didn't feel that Oasis was super crowded and could find quiet areas but it seemed like a resort and not a ship. Not saying we won't try one again but I did have to make a spreadsheet the week we were on board so we could see all the shows and eat in most of the restaurants. We prefer to get on board a smaller ship and go with the flow.

New and young cruisers will enjoy them.

I totally agree with you . I really love the Voyager class- Big enough to have a promenade but not Oasis type size.

All I see is RCI rushing to build larger and larger ships. Anyone else prefer the smaller or mid sized ships to the bigger ones. I think once they hit Freedom class it was large enough.. To me it just means less ports they can sail too and more crowded. You have to make reservations for the shows. Longer board and unload times. Harder to find your way around. I realise there can be more things to do. honestly I do not go on a cruise to shop on the ship. To me it feels like the larger ships are adding more cabins making things more crowded like the pools. it feels more personal on a smaller ship. I mean it is all just opinion.

I will take any cruise I get, I love cruising either way I just prefer the smaller or mid sized ships to bigger ones.

I also love the smaller ships.....Radiance class probably my favorite, followed closely by the Vision class. I was so sad to see that Legend was being sold--we sailed on her shortly after her debut, and was one of my favorite cruises ever (got to sail on her again more recently). Love the Radiance class because of their views out to the sea--my favorite part of sailing. I have sailed on FOS several times and it is a beautiful ship with lots to do. I really enjoy their Promenade cabins (love the extra view over a regular inside room).

We did the Allure after years saying no way.

Ship is state of the ship building art.

Momma Mia was great.

But once was enough....not our kind

of ship.

Probably if sailing with multi generations

would be better.

Crowded, too much walking from one end

to the other. Never could figure out why the

New York style in a Caribbean ship.

Many people like it...just not for me.

Best ships are Freedom class followed

by Voyager class.....we even prefer Empress

to the monstrosity class or the new erection class, hehe.

I honestly can't compare as I haven't been on one of the larger ships. I can say that I enjoy the travel aspect of cruises and taking in various cultures that ports offer. There are many ports the big girls can't get into. Til I get bored with this, I'm sticking w/ the smaller ships.

While I have only been on 2 cruises so far (with 2 more booked in the next 2 years), they have both been on smaller ships. I saw someone post the other day a sentiment that I agreed with. They said that the larger ships were like floating malls, and that they wanted to be on a cruise not perpetually stuck in a mall. Maybe one day I might try the larger ships, but honestly they kind of scare me.

The ships are getting too big. I prefer the size of Adventure. Radiance class is underwhelming but I'd do it again.

Anything more is unnecessary. Really they are just adding more cabins and raising prices to pay for these ships.

I like small (by today's standards) ships. Vision class is my favorite. Once the Radiance class are phased out I'll find another type of vacation. I've done voyager class and wanted to come home after 2 days. For me it was to big and to few views of the ocean.

I have not yet been on one of the Mega ships. Its on my bucket list, but just not important enough to pay the premium. I do like the ships that I would consider "larger" ships (like Carnival Conquest class) rather than some of the smaller ships. I guess those are now "medium ships" but they are plenty big to me. I do want to try Oasis or one of those to see what it is like and I am really intrigued by the indoor balcony rooms. One of these days. But right now the prices are too high and I would have to fly to Florida on top of that. For less $ we can sail from NOLA or Galveston (where we can drive)