Indoor pool - adults only?

annbarker23

We were on the Solstice last year and seem to remember the indoor pool being for adults only (not that it mattered on that occasion as there were only a couple of toddlers on board). We are on the Millennium over Easter this year so guess there may be more children on board which we don't mind at all though it would be nice to have somewhere quiet to retreat to if necessary. Just wondered if there was the same policy on the M class ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess it depends on the ship. I sailed REFLECTION last month and was in the Solarium pool when I saw what I thought was a Father and Son (the boy looked to be 10-11) and both were using the pool. From where I was sitting I could see a LARGE SIGN on the wall, stating 16 and above only. So I guess it just depends if passengers follow the rules or if the staff enforces them.

Edited by Lois R

I was on the Reflection two weeks ago. Signs stating the minimum age of 18 (though it could have been 16) were visible in several places. We spent quite a bit of time in the solarium and never saw a child. This is probably dependent on the cruise. I expect we may see children in the solarium in June while cruising Alaska.

I expect we may see children in the solarium in June while cruising Alaska.

As I recall, the rules are indeed relaxed on Alaska itineraries. On Equinox a few years ago I believe there were stated hours each day in which children were allowed.

It's worth noting that the pool in the solarium is a thelasotherapy pool and not merely another pool indoors. This means that the sides have metal bars that produce bubbles and that the water is kept nearly as hot as a hot tub, in addition to being extremely salty (added salts ad minerals). Unless they lower the temp for family swimming, it is not advisable for children to be in such water. Even for adults the maximum recommended duration is 15-20 minutes.

I love it because it does wonders for my psoriatic arthritis.

It's worth noting that the pool in the solarium is a thelasotherapy pool and not merely another pool indoors. This means that the sides have metal bars that produce bubbles and that the water is kept nearly as hot as a hot tub, in addition to being extremely salty (added salts ad minerals). Unless they lower the temp for family swimming, it is not advisable for children to be in such water. Even for adults the maximum recommended duration is 15-20 minutes.

I love it because it does wonders for my psoriatic arthritis.

Sorry but this pool does not exist on the S-Class ships.

And for what I have seen "Adult" is 16 and over.

And if it's an off hour and nobody is bothering anybody why should anyone make a fuss? There are "Rules are Rules" people but come on you have to use common sense.

The rule is there to keep kids from jumping into the pool, getting in hot tubs and making a nuisance of themselves.

I had this on another thread. The dad was going to bring his 15 year old quiet daughter who was traveling alone with him into the Solarium at off-hours.

By the reaction of some people that was going to corrupt the values and stunt development of young people everywhere.

Sorry but this pool does not exist on the S-Class ships.

And for what I have seen "Adult" is 16 and over.

And if it's an off hour and nobody is bothering anybody why should anyone make a fuss? There are "Rules are Rules" people but come on you have to use common sense.

The rule is there to keep kids from jumping into the pool, getting in hot tubs and making a nuisance of themselves.

I had this on another thread. The dad was going to bring his 15 year old quiet daughter who was traveling alone with him into the Solarium at off-hours.

By the reaction of some people that was going to corrupt the values and stunt development of young people everywhere.

Yes, for ships with those pool, there is a sign that says one must be 16 or older. It also states "adults" only. You're simply wrong if you think the reason is just to keep kids from jumping in . It's a safety and health issue. And as another poster wrote, they sometimes set a hour aside if the weather outside is inclement and make adjustments accordingly

Rules are not as you suggest and merely guidelines. How do you explain to your child that it's okay to use your own judgment and ignore the rules when you choose to or when it's convenient? Do you drive through red lights at 2am, when no one is around? Do you allow your child to drink at home when they are underage? Rules generally exist for a reason and your "judgment" is worthless at best and dangerous at worst.

Rules are not as you suggest and merely guidelines. How do you explain to your child that it's okay to use your own judgment and ignore the rules when you choose to or when it's convenient? Do you drive through red lights at 2am, when no one is around? Do you allow your child to drink at home when they are underage? Rules generally exist for a reason and your "judgment" is worthless at best and dangerous at worst.

It's a brave person who can honestly say they never break rules on purpose, not all rules but perhaps some. As you says, rules "generally" exist for a reason and therefore logically some rules exist for no reason.

Sometimes rules must be broken because it is the right thing to do, or the safest thing to do. - Step on the grass against the rules or walk under the ladder that's blocking the path. Judgement is not worthless at best, it is a form of risk assessment, a valuable skill.

Not sure What you mean by drinking at home underage? In a lot of countries, most of Europe for example, there is no minimum age for drinking at home. In the U.K. It is 5. When i was a child I don't recall our home having any rules, i either did things with my parents permission or didn't. If I didn't I understood there might be consequences.

Edited by DYKWIA

This is our experience as well. Most of the children I've seen were simply passing through. The few that were there to use the pool were politely reminded of the rules. This is a wonderful area, though I must admit I wish the S class had T-pools like the M class.

We were on the Millennium in January 2016. The Solarium was restricted to ages 18 & up except for an hour or so each day, which was family time. There are lots of quiet spaces to retreat, most of which are quite beautiful! Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Thanks. I am a retired teacher so have worked with children all my life. We also have grandchildren whom we love dearly. It's still nice to know that there will be peaceful areas to escape to if the need arises. Thanks also to everyone else for the useful comments. I'm looking forward to trying the T pool.

We sailed the Silhouette in March 2015 and there were 3 kids ages 10-15 in the solarium, eating ice cream cones while sitting in the hot tub. The staff said nothing! Apparently anything goes during spring break, or maybe anything goes on the Silhouette? We've never experienced anything like this before nor since. The ship had quite a few younger kids, especially in The Cove area throughout the day and evening. Coffee machine was unapproachable. We will take longer cruises only during spring break time frame.

Last year we had daily hours for family use on our Alaska cruise. The hours were clearly stated in the daily schedule, though I don't recall if the staff removed signs regarding age restriction during the stated permissible hours..

Not sure What you mean by drinking at home underage? In a lot of countries, most of Europe for example, there is no minimum age for drinking at home.

That is also true for some parts of the US. I live in SC and it is actually legal to allow your minor child to consume alcohol in your own home. Just FYI

Yes, for ships with those pool, there is a sign that says one must be 16 or older. It also states "adults" only. You're simply wrong if you think the reason is just to keep kids from jumping in . It's a safety and health issue. And as another poster wrote, they sometimes set a hour aside if the weather outside is inclement and make adjustments accordingly

No one said ignore the rules about children. They are there for many reasons. The rules clearly state 16 and older are allowed. Now are you going to question if a girl with her father is 16? I hope not.

I hope you enjoy a cruise sooner rather later.

Edited by NordicPrince

I read the thread and never saw the father say that. What was said is he asked if there would be a good time in the AM for them to swim (possibly laps?), and he was asking about 7 am...

That was followed up by, well there's no one in the solarium pool at 7 am, so go there after which the discussion ensued about the age limits.

Simply put, they can swim in any pool at 7 am, that's an off hour for pools everywhere. No, if an older teen is behaving in a mature manner, especially in the company of a parent, and the policy is 16 and older... no one will think twice about it.

But it's a slippery slope starting there, then what about this 15 year old and her 14-16 year old friends from the teen club hanging out in there. Especially if they become loud or behaving poorly.

The point being is that it sets a poor example and it's in the nature of some people to push the envelope until it's ripped in half. If the family pool is empty at 7 am and they want to swim, is there a reason to use the solarium pool if she's technically not old enough?

No one said ignore the rules about children. They are there for many reasons. The rules clearly state 16 and older are allowed. Now are you going to question if a girl with her father is 16? I hope not.

I hope you enjoy a cruise sooner rather later.

I read the other thread. Yes, you did suggest that 15 was "close enough" and that one should always use your own judgment. Rules are not there for you to accept or disregard at your own discretion.