$7.95 Room Service Charge

And that shame tracks back to our nation's neglecting to extend full protections of the ADA to cruise ships operating in US waters to the extent physically practicable.

But everyone doesn't get the same treatment with regard to those matters raised by griffy116 and merlindog22. Why are you working so hard to rationalize treating disabled people in a lesser manner? And why are you so reluctant to engage directly with people who are telling you that the experience is a hardship in the context of a disability?

Yay! Finally found a quote, actually two, that I can agree with you.

The case that we were talking about is Spector v. NCL (03-1388). You can use the following link to see the case and read the plaintiffs specific concerns: http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/545/119.html My desire is for Congress to make clear that the ADA applies in full, thereby ensuring that as the protections evolve cruise ships would be required to keep pace with the changes, as hotels are, today. Beyond that, griffy116 and merlindog22 mentioned earlier in this thread how the introduction of this new room service charge represents a hardship for the disabled. Extension of the ADA in full to cruise ships would make such hardships actionable, when there is a practicable remediation (i.e., waiving the room service fee for the disabled).

Either that or they have good reasons for what they post. One or the other. Perhaps it is best to let people speak for themselves rather than second-guessing what others post, when you don't know.

Except as I pointed out in another thread this morning, all it would take to impose the ADA on cruise ships is a vote in Congress and the President's signature.

It will become more of a problem as more Pax will try to get disabled recognition. Take for instance Union City, NJ where my mother lives. It's an urban city and I've never seen so many disabled parking spots in my life. These are not generic, but assigned to as specific vehicle. When I visit her, sometimes it may take me 12-20 minutes going around to find a parking spot. Disabled stickers or plates in many places are easily received.

I have no issue with anything that they have had to say so no particular reason to "engage" with them. And please point out where I have anywhere said that it is acceptable to treat disabled people in a lesser manner.
griffy116 and merlindog22 raised concerns about the room service charge being a hardship for those with disabilities. You posted "But one could easily make the argument that RCI is avoiding creating a hardship for those with disabilities by continuing to keep room service available." This comment is a direct marginalization of the concerns that griffy116 and merlindog22 raised. So again, I call on you to engage with the concerns that griffy116 and merlindog22 raised, rather than seeking to post a rationalization for ignoring their concerns.

............and with so many disabled passengers why don't they have handicapped pier parking for the ship when it comes into port. You know the pier closest to the shoreline. All that would be required is a four deck high placard hanging from the perch of the ship.

I've been thinking and thinking this over. My feeling at this moment is that if you're not well enough to leave the stateroom, and no one with you is well enough to leave the stateroom to get food for you, then you're essentially treating the cruise line as a floating medical/assisted living facility and expecting someone else to see to your basic life requirements like food and beverage. (And I understand that some people do just that.)

So no, I guess I don't believe the cruise line is obligated to provide that level of care. If you made it to the port, through the terminal and into your stateroom, you can make it to a food venue.

But ... my opinion doesn't matter, and I'm not sure to what extent the law matters. I don't remember this aspect coming up when NCL implemented their room service charge, possibly a slightly younger or different demographic on NCL. But it might be worth posting in the NCL subforums to see if any disabled pax over there have succeeded in having the room service charge waived. It would probably give some clue as to which way this issue will land.

I've been thinking and thinking this over. My feeling at this moment is that if you're not well enough to leave the stateroom, and no one with you is well enough to leave the stateroom to get food for you, then you're essentially treating the cruise line as a floating medical/assisted living facility and expecting someone else to see to your basic life requirements like food and beverage. (And I understand that some people do just that.)

So no, I guess I don't believe the cruise line is obligated to provide that level of care. If you made it to the port, through the terminal and into your stateroom, you can make it to a food venue.

But ... my opinion doesn't matter, and I'm not sure to what extent the law matters. I don't remember this aspect coming up when NCL implemented their room service charge, possibly a slightly younger or different demographic on NCL. But it might be worth posting in the NCL subforums to see if any disabled pax over there have succeeded in having the room service charge waived. It would probably give some clue as to which way this issue will land.

I don't know why cruising would be an attractive vacation option if one was unable to leave the cabin, since they are so tiny.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this here or not, but even though it has a charge, I was able to appreciate the MSC system. Now, not having been a long term MSC cruiser I would not be surprised if long term guests were to say it was "better in the past" perhaps. But I find it somehow more easy to swallow than RCI's charge.

At MSC there are levels of "experiences" from bare bones Bella, mid grade Fantastica, fitness oriented Wellness, and all inclusive Aurea. These can basically be had with any cabin on the ship; though the higher levels do open up more select cabins than say Bella or Fantastica.

Anyways, different levels of included amenities, such as room service, come with each package.

Base line Bella does not include anything "free" with room service, you can order a la carte.

Fantastica includes free room service and a host of other amenities and minor priority choices.

You pay a different fare and get a different experience. I see the appeal, though my wallet doesn't necessarily agree. But so many people love to "prepay" this and that so they "don't have to worry about a bill". That mental gymnastics does nothing for me, but okay, but I understand it. So if you prepay for room service, among other things in a bundle of perks, you have access to those without facing any MORE charges, or a choice about a charge. You have the luxury of using those packaged perks without another care or thought about it.

There's just something about $$$ signs popping up seemingly everywhere on a cruise that itches me a bit. Part of the luxury I feel on a cruise is:

Freedom from being tied to electronics (choice available for those who choose to)

Freedom from spending choices and upsells; yes, shops were always there, art auctions, flyers in state room for merchandise, that is one thing. But they are getting a bit greedy with money charges for what I call 'Experiences and Flavors'. You can't walk along any deck any more and think hey I'll grab an ice cream or stop to do an activity without wondering "wait, does that cost more?" Not relaxing for me.

The extras - I may not use RS much, but I like it for certain times of day; cheese and fruit before dinner. I like coming back to a clean cabin. I like the formerly unchaotic service in the MDR. As these things diminish and evaporate, replaced by new normals, cruising loses its differentiation and edge to me versus other forms of vacation.

I didn't say travel, I have much traveling to do, I'd like to do a lot of it by ship. But I am talking about vacation, floating resort stuff here.

Watch, customers will just LOVE the new menu SO MUCH, that demand remains TOO STRONG, and the prices have to go UP soon, because that is what customers have ASKED FOR. And one of the easiest ways to know RCI is better than NCL is that stuff costs more on RCI;p

Well. it's cheaper than a nursing home.

Well. it's cheaper than a nursing home.

Not for long apparently. 😱

There's really nowhere to eat in a non balcony cabin anyway, and if the weather is bad, that option is out.

Plus, those that can afford the balcony are always paying more now.

I'm not saying this isn't disappointing, but it's not discriminating against disabled folks or shows that Royal doesn't appreciate elderly passengers because the are building exciting new ships.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Not for long apparently. 😱
As far as cruises are increasing in price, nursing care and healthcare for the elderly put it to shame. While cruise fares didn't go up in price as fast during the recession at they are increasing now, nursing care and healthcare for the elderly has been going up in price consistently all the way through.

As far as cruises are increasing in price, nursing care and healthcare for the elderly put it to shame. While cruise fares didn't go up in price as fast during the recession at they are increasing now, nursing care and healthcare for the elderly has been going up in price consistently all the way through.

I don't think Medicare will cover cruise costs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Ah, but in a few years TODAY will be the good ol' days!

As in, "Remember when all it cost was $7.95 to get anything you want delivered to your room?!"

Believe me, I'm glad I only started this hobby in 2015. And if I wasn't a compulsive info sponge, I wouldn't even know about all the stuff I've already missed out on. Some of it I could take or leave (I don't need a midnight buffet or ice sculptures), some of it I'm sad to have missed out on (lobster).

(Sad story, on my very first cruise, on NCL in 2015, I discovered a great free dining venue that was all Cuban food, which I LOVE. So during my first meal on my first cruise ship, I was wolfing down freshly grilled chicken, black beans and rice and fried plantains, and thinking "well, this is way too good, no way they'll keep giving it away for free". Less than two years later, that venue is now an upcharge chain restaurant ("Margaritaville").)

But I do try to appreciate the things I still get to have, such as a week of someone else doing all the cooking and cleaning.

(Even if I suspect they're all going to try to reduce that cleaning to once a day ...)

I think remodeling a cruise ship to keep pace with ADA and remodeling a hotel are very different issues. As for the room service charge being a hardship for those with disabilities, what would your thoughts be if room service was simply eliminated all together?

I would not book this line or anywhere that was unable to offer me what I need.