How can HAL improve their port information booklets?

OlsSalt

On another thread there is a discussion about the port information booklet that HAL provides passengers in cabin - the basics with maps, locations of a few key points of interest and critical port agent numbers.

This actually is huge improvement from over a few years ago when much of the information was inaccurate, almost dangerously bad, and equally irrelevant - like naming great places not to miss after dark -after the ship had already left.

So the port info booklets today are better, but still leave a lot to be desired. We try to do a lot of homework ahead of time but many ports are obscure or the travel books concentrate on those arriving by train or car, not cruise ships so they don't orient their maps to a dock or port location.

It would be nice if HAL linked with something like "Whatsinport" (https://www.whatsinport.com/index.htm) which is where I start simply to get their maps and basic overviews. Using that websites that show who else might be in port on the same day is helpful to know what sort of crowds to expect at the same time.

I have also found WIKITravel links good, particularly for the more off the beaten path ports, but this is still hit and miss because many do not have reports, but when they do they offer some pretty practical information.

What would a really good, improved HAL booklet look like - plus what smaller tear away page of critical information needs to be also included? At least the booklet is organized by separate pages, so you can take the large pages with you.

My biggest annoyance is when the maps don't link to the dock, and recommended places are not even found on the maps. There seems again to be a growing disconnect between the HAL information booklets, and the actual experience on the ground.

JMO but do we really need tro be 'spoon fed? in this 'information age If they are heerw on CC to discuss such questions, they have a computer, a tablet, a phone with wi-fi etc., most of us c an choose what interests us and find plenty of information on our own.

JMO but do we really need tro be 'spoon fed? in this 'information age If they are heerw on CC to discuss such questions, they have a computer, a tablet, a phone with wi-fi etc., most of us c an choose what interests us and find plenty of information on our own.

In a word, yes, some of this information does need to be "spoon fed", mainly because some still do not rely on electronics when traveling and for security reasons would leave them in the cabin anyway.

Main issue, is if HAL offers it at all, it should be relevant and helpful. And some ports simply do not have that much specific information available on the internet anyway. We learned that just on our last cruise to the A-B-C islands. We tried to get info ahead of time, but we could never get the full picture ahead of time linking ship dock to activities.

In spirit I agree with you however, we are the travelers and hopefully we are curious enough up front before we arrive to have done some sort of research about where we have chosen to go.

Our experience across several lines is exactly what you have mentioned. Same when you approach the excursion desk for info.

Let's face it, the cruise lines want to sell excursions. I assume that they want to provide as little information as possible so that you will spring for a tour.

We recently took the bus from Peurto Montt to Puerto Varas in Chile. The ship tour was something like $58. We walked 10 minutes to the local bus depot and were there in 20 minutes. We paid $6. round trip. Scads of tour buses when we arrived. Clearly, the cruise line does not want everyone doing this since it would be a revenue hit. Same for the Tigre and Iguaza Falls excursions. Very easy to DIY if you have the data.

Accurate current maps, in a foreign port where US/Canadian dollars are not accepted-- as accurate as possible currency exchange rate table is needed, less emphasis on "recommended" stores and more emphasis on local market places, and I support a previous poster's comments about a few common local phrases that could be used when speaking with the local citizens. (Being able to do so makes a whole lot of difference at times in how we as Americans/Canadians--and other English language speakers--perceive those with whom we meet.)

The most useful thing in the Explorer maps is the port agent info.

I can remember when ship's maps had useful info about tourist stuff--museums, sights to see. Why can't the maps include post office, churches, architecturally interesting buildings? Maybe it is because they want us to look at the map and think there's nothing to see without taking a tour.

Exchange rate would be nice, but difficult to print so far in advance. But it would be something that could go in the daily program or on one of the TV info pages. And the suggestion that the ship offerr local maps isn't that difficult. They could be delivered to the ship by the local tourist authority day of arrival. I do find that in most ports the info booth will have reliable help and offer a map.

As for being spoon fed? Oh yeah, it's amazing how many people go someplace "cold." CC members are here because have a "need to know." But some people give no thought to planning in advance. We've all seen them at the tour office, "What tours are offerered in Aruba/Curacao/St Maarten?etc? Which one should I take?" "My friend likes nature and I like shopping, so which tour would make both of us happy?" They probably think those maps are the best thing since sliced bread.

We always take the Location guide ashore with us, as it has the contact info for the ship's agent in the port - and other than that, it is a waste of space. I would love a map like one from Whatsinport (I usually take a screen shot and print the map out), so that makes two pieces of paper, and possibly some hints for a walking tour for a third piece of paper. I think other cruise lines do better than HAL.

In a word, yes, some of this information does need to be "spoon fed", mainly because some still do not rely on electronics when traveling and for security reasons would leave them in the cabin anyway.

Main issue, is if HAL offers it at all, it should be relevant and helpful. And some ports simply do not have that much specific information available on the internet anyway. We learned that just on our last cruise to the A-B-C islands. We tried to get info ahead of time, but we could never get the full picture ahead of time linking ship dock to activities.

In spirit I agree with you however, we are the travelers and hopefully we are curious enough up front before we arrive to have done some sort of research about where we have chosen to go.[/quote ] It is great that traditional travel books are still published and most cities/towns have libraries. We managed 'swimmingly' in Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire long beforre we ever had a computer. Acually, we love those Dtutch islands.... plenty of info available about them. :

I used to fume about that kind of thing, but now I have learned to depend totally on my own research. I have not had any problem tracking down info on even the most obscure ports. But then, I'm an information junkie who actually 1) created a document with >50 pages of notes on Pompeii, including floor plans for each house; 2) translated large portions of a book on Delos from French into English in order to have the most accurate information about the ruins; and 3) bought online and read two books on the Roman ruins at Butrint before I ever got there.

Just a few examples of my OCD information gathering!

By the way, the Voyages to Antiquity organization (which includes most shore excursions for free) has no problem giving out maps, local information and DIY suggestions to passengers who are not interested in taking a shore excursion. Presumably because it's not a profit center -- it's already included.

...... We managed 'swimmingly' in Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire long beforre we ever had a computer. Acually, we love those Dtutch islands.... plenty of info available about them. :

The difference is getting information in general, and getting specifics relative the actual port location.

That was the hang up we found on our trip to the A-B-C's. We are good online researchers and carry travel books and do a lot of homework up front too. Half the fun is immersing in the history and feeling for the place before we arrive.

It is good there are now lots of informal traveler reviews online, because they can often offer the missing details if you can sift through them all. Though more likely they are also maddeningly general -- go down the street a little ways and you will find it ---

There is now a new dock for Curacao and it is quite a walk now to the main sights, though they tried to make this as pleasant as possible. So that left a lot of the older information out-dated about that port. So this is another case where specific walking distances for the docks that will be used would help. Same for Aruba and Bonaire - plus transport info that was available for Aruba online was not operational on the day we arrived.

At least Aruba had very good bus service and each end of the island was a study of contrasts by local bus - rustic and homey on one end and high rise tourist on the other.

So again it is the lack of specifics as to dock location and access to town, transit or activities that I would find a helpful addition. Some times the HAL maps offer disjointed locations showing down town, and the dock, but not what is in-between, nor distances if one sets out on their own.

Ended up in quite a trek to get to the ferry to Klein Bonnaire from the ship, The tourist office kiosk just barely knew the name of the ferry location, but did not know that the name of the hotel had changed so we had to stumble with that one too. Agree, this is all part of the travel adventure - it is fun to figure these things out and often the stumbles end up with delightful discoveries.

But with time so short in port and drop dead schedules to met, mistakes take on a little more gravity so it is nice have some pre-planned efficiencies built into the port information. I hate to see that much paper and good intentions offer so little that is practical in return.

However, we have a running joke based on some excellent travel advice I once got: "There is no uninteresting street in India". So when we flounder, we just remind ourselves .... There is no uninteresting street in .......XYZ.

The difference is getting information in general, and getting specifics relative the actual port location.

That was the hang up we found on our trip to the A-B-C's. We are good online researchers and carry travel books and do a lot of homework up front too. Half the fun is immersing in the history and feeling for the place before we arrive.

It is good there are now lots of informal traveler reviews online, because they can often offer the missing details if you can sift through them all. Though more likely they are also maddeningly general -- go down the street a little ways and you will find it ---

There is now a new dock for Curacao and it is quite a walk now to the main sights, though they tried to make this as pleasant as possible. So that left a lot of the older information out-dated about that port. So this is another case where specific walking distances for the docks that will be used would help. Same for Aruba and Bonaire - plus transport info that was available for Aruba online was not operational on the day we arrived.

Do you used Google maps? I find them quite useful. Generally you can locate the port and map a route into town (either walking or by car or sometimes there is even public transportation info mapped in).

Not only that but many times you can virtually "walk" the recommended route, stopping to look at actual images of what you'll see along the way, just so you can familiarize yourself with the route.

I've used this quite successfully many times to map a walking tour or figure out how to get from, say, a train station to the site I want to visit.

Thank you, OlsSalt, for bringing up this subject.

Doing our own research is paramount, but since HAL is providing port information, it should be useful.

A long wish list for HAL could be useful for them to consider and sift through.

The old maps were so nice, because they had enough contrast to be easily readable. Unfortunately, they were not always accurate. The new maps are too faint to even read sometimes.

Barbara

Do you used Google maps? I find them quite useful. Generally you can locate the port and map a route into town (either walking or by car or sometimes there is even public transportation info mapped in).

Not only that but many times you can virtually "walk" the recommended route, stopping to look at actual images of what you'll see along the way, just so you can familiarize yourself with the route.

I've used this quite successfully many times to map a walking tour or figure out how to get from, say, a train station to the site I want to visit.

Absolutely right on! I use Google Maps for every trip I take. I love the "walking" feature. I like that I can pinpoint places I want to go and see distances between, map out my day.

I'm an independent solo traveler and I do not need to be "spoon fed" information on a port. Honestly, the only thing I ever look at in those port guides is the ICE information; the rest is throwaway. I am also a rabid researcher of where I'm going. Like now - I'm looking for the distance from the Springhill Suites Bayfront to the nearest Trader Joe's in San Diego. Got to have all the important data ;)

Here was a wrinkle on our last cruise and what threw all our own prior research off - we researched snorkeling extensively and found spots in each port, along with attempts to find ways to get to them on our own. We were actually blocked from using HAL shore snorkel excursions due to our ages (over 70) so we had to find this information on our own. And we did.

Then both the weather and the water temperature turned out to be colder than we wanted, so at the last minute we were stuck with finding new port alternatives. Best laid plans and prior research can go awry. Yes, google maps are excellent and very revealing about destination routes. And because we are "old" we are not tethered to personal electronics when we travel, so that option was not available once we left port. Lesson learned?

But the issue when plans change or for those who do no do the prior research (no reason to slur them as "spoon feeders"), is the port information booklet remains deficient for critical information and could use a few tweaks to make it a more valuable and relevant information resource.

The point of this thread was to explore what small changes could make this a better document.

HAL should give basic shuttle and public transport info and a walking map of the environs. Having spent the last few days planning a trip I can tell you not all ports have adequate display on google maps. Being fairly independent onshore my only question much of the time is: is there a shuttle or public transport at the pier? It would be nice if they informed about public wifi locations too. The poor crew must feel harassed by the pied piper affect from all of the cruise advice columns saying "follow the crew to the nearest wifi"

The point of this thread was to explore what small changes could make this a better document.

Challenge accepted. :D

I would think at a minimum there should be a good, to-scale map of the area adjacent to the port (e.g., the town environs) with points of interest labeled -- not just shops. A brief 2-3 sentence description of these sites, keyed to the map, would also be valuable (at a minimum the opening hours and cost, if any, should be included).

Information on public transportation and, if applicable, shuttles to/from this area.

Additionally, if one is in a port with multiple potential destinations, these should also be included with similar info. (For example, docking in Naples the info should include a map of Naples, information on how to get to Capri from the dock, information on how to get to Pompeii, etc.)

For me, these items along with the port agent info would probably be sufficient. I have apps for looking up language if needed, and I don't think it should be HAL's responsibility to provide a significant overview or history of the area -- the passenger should either attend any talks/lectures or should do that preparation before sailing.

HAL could spend a bit of money to purchase copyrighted maps and materials, and pay professionals to put together a great, useful shore guide to their ports. This would make frugal passengers who do not want to pay for shore excursions very happy, and keep them coming back. Of course HAL would lose an absolute fortune from all the passengers who used that great guide to avoid purchasing shore tours.

Can you think of any alternate universe or reality where that would make good sense for a business that is trying to increase profits?

If you were a HAL Executive who wanted to keep his job and get those fat performance bonuses every year, would you push this proposal to lose big money for the company and make low-spending passengers very happy?

In an alternate universe, I can see losing a familiar service and hospitality orientation, in exchange for a bottomline obsession along with passenger sensibility abuse would affect profits. But that polarizes this discussion into two extremes. Something is starting to feel very alien about the new direction HAL is currently taking.

]

At least Aruba had very good bus service and each end of the island was a study of contrasts by local bus - rustic and homey on one end and high rise tourist on the other.

So again it is the lack of specifics as to dock location and access to town, transit or activities that I would find a helpful addition. Some times the HAL maps offer disjointed locations showing down town, and the dock, but not what is in-between, nor distances if one sets out on their own.

Ended up in quite a trek to get to the ferry to Klein Bonnaire from the ship, The tourist office kiosk just barely knew the name of the ferry location, but did not know that the name of the hotel had changed so we had to stumble with that one too. Agree, this is all part of the travel adventure - it is fun to figure these things out and often the stumbles end up with delightful discoveries.

But with time so short in port and drop dead schedules to met, mistakes take on a little more gravity so it is nice have some pre-planned efficiencies built into the port information. I hate to see that much paper and good intentions offer so little that is practical in return.

However, we have a running joke based on some excellent travel advice I once got: "There is no uninteresting street in India". So when we flounder, we just remind ourselves .... There is no uninteresting street in .......XYZ.

i think the 'new dock' in Curfacao is fvbulous. you ca nnot really mean it isn't easy to find the way to the floating bridge from the 'new' dock?

i think the 'nedw dock' in Curfacao is fabulous. you ca nnot really mean it isn't easy to find the way to the floating bridge from the 'new' dock?

(bold is mine) That sums it up. They hand out something that has very little use. They're kidding themselves into believing they're being helpful. I suppose it is helpful to passengers whose main interest is shopping. It seems that is not the case for most people posting here.

I would like to have dock information, too. But the problem with that is the uncertainty about where a ship will dock. The port authorities can change that on short notice, and then the ship would have handed out something that is dead wrong. I expected to be at the "mega pier" in Curacao because that's where we've always docked. We arrived early, and when I woke and looked outside, I discovered we were in the "old" harbor, which was fantastic. Much closer to everything and DH loved that we wouldn't have to walk through the shopping mall.

i think the 'nedw dock' in Curfacao is fabulous. you ca nnot really mean it isn't easy to find the way to the floating bridge from the 'new' dock?

In fact I said just the opposite - the port does nice job getting you from the new dock to the downtown area. However it is a much longer walk than some might expect, and many of travel books have not caught up with this new location change for those who pre-planned ahead of the cruise.

Good example for the destination booklet offering times and distances to get from the dock to special points of interest.

Challenge accepted. :D

I would think at a minimum there should be a good, to-scale map of the area adjacent to the port (e.g., the town environs) with points of interest labeled -- not just shops. A brief 2-3 sentence description of these sites, keyed to the map, would also be valuable (at a minimum the opening hours and cost, if any, should be included).

Information on public transportation and, if applicable, shuttles to/from this area.

Additionally, if one is in a port with multiple potential destinations, these should also be included with similar info. (For example, docking in Naples the info should include a map of Naples, information on how to get to Capri from the dock, information on how to get to Pompeii, etc.)

For me, these items along with the port agent info would probably be sufficient. I have apps for looking up language if needed, and I don't think it should be HAL's responsibility to provide a significant overview or history of the area -- the passenger should either attend any talks/lectures or should do that preparation before sailing.

As usual, my "sister" is spot on ;) IF substantial information were to go into a better version of the pamphlet.

Oh - because some people do not invest in ship or private excursions does not make them "frugal". Some people like to travel without a group (regardless of size) and do the research to independently visit a port. Sometimes the money not used for an excursion gets used to buy a special piece found along the way or a memorable lunch at a great restaurant (rather than the one you must stop at on your excursion). We all spend our vacation money in different ways.