Edge Sky Suites - What's the Scoop?

vtcruising

On 12/30/2018 at 10:12 AM, jsea said:

We visited a friend’s “corner” S3 which was adjacent to an IV. You are correct. It is a common hallway with a door and then within that hallway are two separate doors to each cabin. 

Was it on Deck 12?  The layout there is different from all the other S3s because there are no connecting cabins.

Currently in a deck 12 S3. It seems that the magic carpet is positioned at deck 14 when pulling in to port, so our view is obstructed. Maybe that will change later in the cruise, but for now I would consider it an obstructed view.

We have also had noise from the pool above. You can hear the pool music on the balcony, which we don’t mind. I think it’s moving deck chairs which is the most noise. A lot of banging around 10:30 last night. Maybe stacking the chairs? We weren’t in bed yet, so it didn’t matter that much but it might if you go to sleep early. I was also woken up around 1:30 am by some banging from above. Just an FYI.

Retreat and Luminae staff have been great.

3 minutes ago, Traveller94 said:

Currently in a deck 12 S3. It seems that the magic carpet is positioned at deck 14 when pulling in to port, so our view is obstructed. Maybe that will change later in the cruise, but for now I would consider it an obstructed view.

We have also had noise from the pool above. You can hear the pool music on the balcony, which we don’t mind. I think it’s moving deck chairs which is the most noise. A lot of banging around 10:30 last night. Maybe stacking the chairs? We weren’t in bed yet, so it didn’t matter that much but it might if you go to sleep early. I was also woken up around 1:30 am by some banging from above. Just an FYI.

Retreat and Luminae staff have been great.

Thanks for the info! I hope you can do a  cabin review for the Edge cabin stick when you return. Those are the kind of things people want to know. 🙂

Sorry about the noise above. I'm usually reluctant to book deck 12 because of the chance of noise above (pool chair or OVC chair movement), though some areas are quieter than others.

Is the platform above your balcony (with the spikes hanging down in front of you) or is part of the platform in front of your balcony? If you can get some pictures it would be great!

How do you like the suite otherwise? How do you like the Edge? Are you having nice weather?

Enjoy your cruise!!🙂

Well, tonight it was 2:20, and I can’t get back to sleep. I talked to a deck attendant this evening and he said they don’t move deck chairs at night, so I listened more closely tonight. I think it might be a storage closet. It sounds like a door slamming and boxes or something being dropped. I’m going to explore tomorrow. If I can find it, maybe I can ask them to change their schedule a bit.

vt cruising, I will do a review in the edge sticky when I get back. Right now I think this cabin is an avoid, but maybe that will change.

I attempted to upload photos so you can see how our view is upstructed when pulling in to port. I hope it works.

Also, does anyone know if the Nake Burkas tote bags were just for the early special cruises? All we have gotten is that papery one that was in the cabin when we arrived. I was hoping for a canvas bag. Thanks!

F4A7B49A-88D0-40C9-A2AB-3BEBC43984D7.jpeg

0A344C88-D245-47E6-8636-7272C971E370.jpeg

Edited by Traveller94

Hello fellow cruisers .... I haven't had a chance to read through the entirety of this thread but firstly want to thank vtcruising for the photos of the S1 aft suite 11268.  We are booked in S1 aft suite 9306 for the September 9 sailing of the mediterranean.  Our cruising buddies are booked in 10274 (directly above us) and 10267 (above and opposite corner).  I imagine the photos are a good representation of what we can expect in our suite.  I love the idea of switching that cube seat inside to become a footrest outside and it looks like the balcony will be large enough to put the rocking chair outside (will it?? does it fit through the sliding door??).  There doesnt seem to be much closet hanging space.  How is the lighting in the bathroom for makeup application etc??  Nice and bright?

We are looking forward to this trip - having booked it waaaaay back in October 2017 (en route Hawaii to Sydney on Celebrity Solstice!) and having just disembarked Solstice on 4 January (sky suite of course) and onboard her again for 4 January 2020.

Edge will be our first Celebrity cruise not onboard Solstice.

4 hours ago, YvonneM1967 said:

I love the idea of switching that cube seat inside to become a footrest outside and it looks like the balcony will be large enough to put the rocking chair outside (will it?? does it fit through the sliding door??).  

I read a post from a future Edge cruiser who was on another ship docked next to the Edge recently. She said that she counted 50 rocking chairs on balconies!

We will also be in 10274 in February b2b. 

The rocking chair will be going out!😊

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Traveller94 said:

Well, tonight it was 2:20, and I can’t get back to sleep. I talked to a deck attendant this evening and he said they don’t move deck chairs at night, so I listened more closely tonight. I think it might be a storage closet. It sounds like a door slamming and boxes or something being dropped. I’m going to explore tomorrow. If I can find it, maybe I can ask them to change their schedule a bit.

vt cruising, I will do a review in the edge sticky when I get back. Right now I think this cabin is an avoid, but maybe that will change.

I attempted to upload photos so you can see how our view is upstructed when pulling in to port. I hope it works.

Also, does anyone know if the Nake Burkas tote bags were just for the early special cruises? All we have gotten is that papery one that was in the cabin when we arrived. I was hoping for a canvas bag. Thanks!

F4A7B49A-88D0-40C9-A2AB-3BEBC43984D7.jpeg

0A344C88-D245-47E6-8636-7272C971E370.jpeg

Sorry that you are still having noise at night. It looks like that cabana walkway is above you. I don't remember seeing anything there that would be a closet-type thing and I can't see anything on the deck plans. Was the MC up there during the night? I wonder if they work on that or if not there, then the mechanism? Or does the MC frame creak and groan in the wind? Anyway, if it were me I would record the noise and bring it to GS. They can hopefully figure it out and fix it. Good luck! I feel sorry that you have to deal with this on a long-awaited vacation. 😔

The view is about what I expected as far as the platform, except those spikes were added later in the game. There are some pictures above (post #369) of the balcony view with an S3 below you (11168) with the MC at 14 and it seems quite close, but the view is better. I was on that balcony when the MC was on 14 and the spikes did surprise me (had forgotten about them), but the view straight out was still good.

I would ask your butler for the Nate Berkus. Yes, you should get one.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise in peace! Keep us updated, if you have time! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

4 hours ago, YvonneM1967 said:

Hello fellow cruisers .... I haven't had a chance to read through the entirety of this thread but firstly want to thank vtcruising for the photos of the S1 aft suite 11268.  We are booked in S1 aft suite 9306 for the September 9 sailing of the mediterranean.  Our cruising buddies are booked in 10274 (directly above us) and 10267 (above and opposite corner).  I imagine the photos are a good representation of what we can expect in our suite.  I love the idea of switching that cube seat inside to become a footrest outside and it looks like the balcony will be large enough to put the rocking chair outside (will it?? does it fit through the sliding door??).  There doesnt seem to be much closet hanging space.  How is the lighting in the bathroom for makeup application etc??  Nice and bright?

We are looking forward to this trip - having booked it waaaaay back in October 2017 (en route Hawaii to Sydney on Celebrity Solstice!) and having just disembarked Solstice on 4 January (sky suite of course) and onboard her again for 4 January 2020.

Edge will be our first Celebrity cruise not onboard Solstice.

Yes, the rocker fits through the slider and is soooo comfortable. We will be putting ours out on Jan 20th, with the vanity hassock as a footrest.

The closet is bigger than it looks. It goes from the bathroom door to the wall, though the closet door opens closer to the bathroom. The space is there, but deeper in, if that makes sense.

There was good lighting at the vanity. In fact my DH sat there to shave because the lighting was better and he liked the mirror. It looked pretty funny. 🙂

I would bet that you will have a wonderful time with all your aft buddies!!

4 hours ago, emairs said:

I read a post from a future Edge cruiser who was on another ship docked next to the Edge recently. She said that she counted 50 rocking chairs on balconies!

We will also be in 10274 in February b2b. 

The rocking chair will be going out!😊

CELEBRITY TAKE NOTICE. Sky suite passengers feel slighted on the furniture! Renditions of this cabin showed MUCH nicer furniture and while the final choices can vary, there's a HUGE difference in what was advertised vs what is in place. Even regular veranda cabins on S-class have better chairs. The smaller furniture is obviously needed for the IVs but there is NO EXCUSE for the lack of adequate deck furniture for the more spacious suite balconies. Rockers are being moved out to balconies because of this poor decision. 

Honestly, if they don't fix this, it will be a constant complaint. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

CELEBRITY TAKE NOTICE. Sky suite passengers feel slighted on the furniture! Renditions of this cabin showed MUCH nicer furniture and while the final choices can vary, there's a HUGE difference in what was advertised vs what is in place. Even regular veranda cabins on S-class have better chairs. The smaller furniture is obviously needed for the IVs but there is NO EXCUSE for the lack of adequate deck furniture for the more spacious suite balconies. Rockers are being moved out to balconies because of this poor decision. 

* Honestly, if they don't fix this, it will be a constant complaint. *

I second that sentiment. 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Honestly, if they don't fix this, it will be a constant complaint. 

Agree with what you've said. Was hoping to have breakfast or may a dinner on the balcony but with the current furniture that's impossible. A taller, larger table would be nice.....and not hard to supply.

FB_IMG_1545171834947.jpg

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, villauk said:

Oh my goodness, what are all those spikes sticking out? And where’s the rest of the balcony furniture - it looks lost! 

The balcony furniture is just awful. It is reminiscent of an 18 year old's first apartment - 2 folding chairs and a crate for a table. Trying not to dwell on it for our upcoming cruise in an S3 (in this same location) - I can't believe TPTB looked at these SS Balconies and thought "YES! This IS modern luxury!!" :classic_dry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Agree with what you've said. Was hoping to have breakfast or may a dinner on the balcony but with the current furniture that's impossible. A taller, larger table would be nice.....and not hard to supply.

FB_IMG_1545171834947.jpg

I fondly remember those days..! 😊

First X replaced the tablecloths with placemats, but at least there was a real table..!

Now all we get is a tiny stand with a tiny tray on top...

Wonder what’s next? ☹️

Edited by C-Dragons

8 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Sorry that you are still having noise at night. It looks like that cabana walkway is above you. I don't remember seeing anything there that would be a closet-type thing and I can't see anything on the deck plans. Was the MC up there during the night? I wonder if they work on that or if not there, then the mechanism? Or does the MC frame creak and groan in the wind? Anyway, if it were me I would record the noise and bring it to GS. They can hopefully figure it out and fix it. Good luck! I feel sorry that you have to deal with this on a long-awaited vacation. 😔

The view is about what I expected as far as the platform, except those spikes were added later in the game. There are some pictures above (post #369) of the balcony view with an S3 below you (11168) with the MC at 14 and it seems quite close, but the view is better. I was on that balcony when the MC was on 14 and the spikes did surprise me (had forgotten about them), but the view straight out was still good.

I would ask your butler for the Nate Berkus. Yes, you should get one.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your cruise in peace! Keep us updated, if you have time! 🙂

Several people researched what could be causing the problem. They can’t figure it out but have offered to move us to an empty S2. Unfortunately, it’s very aft and I chose a mid ship cabin because of motion sickness problems. I decided noise was better than seasickness, so I declined. They have been very nice and even offered to remove one of my onboard charges for my trouble. Hopefully whatever it is won’t happen again tonight, but whatever happens, the staff have been very nice and understanding.

By the way, we are having a good cruise. The ship is so unusual! It’s exciting to explore!

17 minutes ago, Traveller94 said:

Several people researched what could be causing the problem. They can’t figure it out but have offered to move us to an empty S2. Unfortunately, it’s very aft and I chose a mid ship cabin because of motion sickness problems. I decided noise was better than seasickness, so I declined. They have been very nice and even offered to remove one of my onboard charges for my trouble. Hopefully whatever it is won’t happen again tonight, but whatever happens, the staff have been very nice and understanding.

By the way, we are having a good cruise. The ship is so unusual! It’s exciting to explore!

I'm glad you are still having a good cruise and that at least they are trying to fix the issue. FYI, I've been in 2 cabins a bit aft of midship and one in the actual aft and I didn't find any difference in the motion, but we had calm seas (and you may be more sensitive about small changes).

Good luck! Keep us posted. :classic_smile:

Travel94, just wanted to applaud your positive attitude while you deal with a less than perfect situation. In today's world, many are quick to bellyache and paint the world black over much more minor issues. Happy to hear you are making the best out of your issue and still enjoying your cruise. We all hope they can get it resolved quickly!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2019 at 9:30 PM, Travelfor2 said:

Travel94, just wanted to applaud your positive attitude while you deal with a less than perfect situation. In today's world, many are quick to bellyache and paint the world black over much more minor issues. Happy to hear you are making the best out of your issue and still enjoying your cruise. We all hope they can get it resolved quickly!

Thanks! Some vacations have a few extra bumps, but we still love them!

They haven’t been able to figure out where the sound has been coming from, but we’re sort of used to it now. Celebrity has been great about it. I really applaud how they handle issues. They have exceeded my expectations.

The food and service have been great. We’re enjoying our trip on the Edge and the sky suite. I’m glad we booked on opening day. 

1 minute ago, Traveller94 said:

Thanks! Some vacations have a few extra bumps, but we still love them!

They haven’t been able to figure out where the sound has been coming from, but we’re sort of used to it now. Celebrity has been great about it. I really applaud how they handle issues. They have exceeded my expectations.

The food and service have been great. We’re enjoying our trip on the Edge and the sky suite. I’m glad we booked on opening day. 

So glad you are having fun! We will be across the hall and slightly forward from you in 9 days! We can't wait - we need more Edge! 🙂

When you sail on a brand-new ship (especially new class) – or buy a brand-new car model – you go in hoping that the 'new-car smell' will make up for the 'first-year blues.'  I have always sworn I wouldn't buy a brand-new car model – have have done so over and over because the new designs are just so appealing!  Same thing with Edge [although I have to say we ALL bought a pig-in-a-poke on this one because of Celebrity's slow-strip-tease reveals :classic_wink:]  Glad to see that you are focusing on the new-car smell vs. the creaks and groans!

• Like 1

The retreat looks a lovely area and the adjacent lounge looks great for a snack and drink. Just one thing, are there lockers and showers in the retreat area. 

We would want to shower and change before a nice luminae lunch, but couldn't identify if there were any facilities.  Can anyone help?

49 minutes ago, TonyUK said:

The retreat looks a lovely area and the adjacent lounge looks great for a snack and drink. Just one thing, are there lockers and showers in the retreat area. 

We would want to shower and change before a nice luminae lunch, but couldn't identify if there were any facilities.  Can anyone help?

Sorry, no changing facilities in the Retreat pool area. There are men's and ladies restrooms. The Retreat Lounge is not adjacent, it is actually located one deck down, accessible by stairs or elevator. The entire area is very nice.

Edited by C-Dragons