Princess Cruise Secrets 2017

barbpretz

How about the reverse, where a married couple owns 100 shares, but books 2 separate cabins on the same cruise? (one cabin in each of their names) (teenagers.....)

That's a good question. If they each had 100 shares in their own name, then both cabins should be eligible for the OBC. If they only own 100 shares in a joint account, I'm not sure the OBC would be given to both cabins. Anyone know for sure?

My second favorite Princess "secret" is the cheese and fruit tray at the International Cafe. My husband and I each brought our allowed bottle of wine on board and kept a cheese and fruit tray in our refrigerator throughout our cruise. Sitting on the balcony watching glorious scenery with wine, cheese, and fruit - heaven!

Oh yum! So just go up to the counter and ask for a cheese and fruit tray to go?Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Would someone please talk food!, not money - what are some of the "don't miss" menu items. I am first time Princess cruiser and I know there will always be choices on the menu - would love to know what old timers look forward to when back on board.

The Princess Favorite Fettucinni. Order an appetizer size and ask for the parmesian bowl. It used to be standard then it was removed (couldn't even request it) but I just got off the Emerald for the May 20 1 nighter and lo and behold they greeted my request with "Certainly"!

Any Norman Love chocolate desert.

The MDR sometimes features a dish from Curtis Stone Share. The pork belly was amaaaaaaazing

The pub lunch on sea days is usually quite nice.

Alfredos pizza (they will make you a custom pizza- just stick to the ingredients on the menu). This will be its own restaurant on some ships or offered in Sabatinis on others.

The food is generally very good. If you happen to get something you don't like please nicely ask for something else. The staff are so incredibly accommodating!

Read your Patter carefully every night to see what your choices are as they will advertise special food offerings there.

The Princess Favorite Fettucinni. Order an appetizer size and ask for the parmesian bowl. It used to be standard then it was removed (couldn't even request it) but I just got off the Emerald for the May 20 1 nighter and lo and behold they greeted my request with "Certainly"!

Wowie Zowie! That is good to hear. I love the appetizer portion in the Parmesan bowl!

On the Crown in March I asked the head waiter and was told absolutely NO!, it will not be available at all. And dang it! my next cruise is on the Crown again.

The pub lunch on sea days is usually quite nice.

Depends what you order!

Crown Grill were doing British pub lunches. I ordered the Fish and chips. They need to learn how to cook the battered fish, soggy is not acceptable, it needs to be crispy.

Same for the Yorkshire puddings, burnt is not acceptable.

If they are going to provide British food, it needs to be cooked correctly.

They serve Escargot on one of the formal nights in their glorious buttery, garlicy goodness.

If you only see a Caribbean Shrimp Cocktail on the menu all you have to do is ask for cocktail sauce and they will gladly get it for you.

Pizza onboard is the best at Sea anywhere, and better than most places on land.

Depends what you order!

Crown Grill were doing British pub lunches. I ordered the Fish and chips. They need to learn how to cook the battered fish, soggy is not acceptable, it needs to be crispy.

Yes it's "usually quite nice", not always. I too have had a less than stellar experience but mostly it's been nice.

Depends what you order!

Most Americans don't know the difference as you do.;)

This isn't a secret. It's just something I misunderstood. Once you make Platinum, you get free internet minutes. I think the number depends on the length of cruise. What I didn't realize is that BOTH my husband and I get the minutes. I thought it was x number of minutes per cabin, but it's per person. On our upcoming 27 night cruise we each get 500 free minutes. Since my DH doesn't care a thing about internet minutes, I get 1000 free minutes! :):D:p

My favorite 'secret' is if you get the Soda Package, at the Pool bars, you can ask for a Large cup. I usually ask for Lite Ice as otherwise they fill it to the top with ice and you only get a bit of Soda. Asking for Lite ice, they only Half fill it with ice.... ;p getting closer to a full glass of soda... :cool:

My favorite 'secret' is if you get the Soda Package, at the Pool bars, you can ask for a Large cup. I usually ask for Lite Ice as otherwise they fill it to the top with ice and you only get a bit of Soda. Asking for Lite ice, they only Half fill it with ice.... ;p getting closer to a full glass of soda... :cool:

Soda from a gun almost always comes out cold anyway. I would likely ask for no ice. :)

As Thrak suggested, I always ask for no ice or very little ice and they always comply. Actually the best deal is the milkshakes that you can also get with the Soda Package. Those are great!

Tom

If you want to try the Fettuccine in the Parmesan Bowl, be sure to ask for it early in your cruise. I was very much looking forward to it, but waited until towards the end of our cruise - big mistake! They said they had run out for the duration of the cruise. On my next Princess cruise, I'm asking for it on the very first night!

Oh yum! So just go up to the counter and ask for a cheese and fruit tray to go?Thanks for sharing! quote]

Yes, it's easy and lovely! Sometimes were were asked to point out what we wanted on it and other times the trays were already made up - but it was always excellent! I can't recall whether there were some limitations on the time of day you could request a cheese and fruit tray. We always were able to get one when we asked for it. Does anyone else know if there are restrictions on timing?

Oh yum! So just go up to the counter and ask for a cheese and fruit tray to go?Thanks for sharing! quote]

Yes, it's easy and lovely! Sometimes were were asked to point out what we wanted on it and other times the trays were already made up - but it was always excellent! I can't recall whether there were some limitations on the time of day you could request a cheese and fruit tray. We always were able to get one when we asked for it. Does anyone else know if there are restrictions on timing?[/quote

Is there a charge for the cheese and fruit tray to go?

Edited by zeppysky
wrong quote

If you want to try the Fettuccine in the Parmesan Bowl, be sure to ask for it early in your cruise. I was very much looking forward to it, but waited until towards the end of our cruise - big mistake! They said they had run out for the duration of the cruise. On my next Princess cruise, I'm asking for it on the very first night!

I think, from what I've been reading, that the Parmesan Bowl has been discontinued on all the ships.

I think, from what I've been reading, that the Parmesan Bowl has been discontinued on all the ships.

That's what I thought too:confused: and experienced on the Island 14 day Panama Ocean to Ocean Jan 3, 2017 & again on the Grand 10 Mexican Riviera Feb. 28, 2017.

However, I just got it on the Emerald May 20, 2017.:D I can't explain it all I can do is report what happened. If we all keep asking for it maybe it will be a more reliably available item.

Also, as these are made fresh from melted grated parmesan I do not see how they could run out unless they had no more parmesan. And that would be tragic:loudcry:

That's what I thought too:confused: and experienced on the Island 14 day Panama Ocean to Ocean Jan 3, 2017 & again on the Grand 10 Mexican Riviera Feb. 28, 2017.

However, I just got it on the Emerald May 20, 2017.:D I can't explain it all I can do is report what happened. If we all keep asking for it maybe it will be a more reliably available item.

Also, as these are made fresh from melted grated parmesan I do not see how they could run out unless they had no more parmesan. And that would be tragic:loudcry:

Not that I know anything but I suspect it's just a big pain to make them. It probably just slows down the galley & they just feel that it's not worth the trouble?? :eek:

Who knows?

That's what we were told on our last cruise (January 2017) as well.

No Parmesan Bowl ... BUT, happily, the Fettuccine could be ordered. :D