what is your best remedy for ocean motion?

Imagineer

We're both pretty good for handling ocean motion, living on Vancouver Island means the only way you get your car off is on a ferry in any kind of weather that comes your way. But I did get a bit nauseous when we were in the Mediterranean during the last cruise aboard the Insignia - mind you it is a much smaller ship than what we're going on next week for the Panama Canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We have eight days that are all open seas, but I'm thinking more about the Pacific Ocean motion...;)

What are your current recommendations for handling a bit of Mal de Mer?

cheers,

Imagineer

I use sea bands, available at any pharmacy. Although, when I did my Vancouver to Hawaii cruise almost a year ago, I took the Sea Calm that is available on the ship for the first time ever. That worked quite well and didn't make me drowsy.

Enjoy your cruise!

If I'm just a little uncomfortable, ginger ale. But if it's going to be rough for a long time, especially if we're in an aft cabin where the motion is stronger, I take meclazine. It's very calming, although it sometimes makes me drowsy the next day.

OTC Bonine, started the day before. Or as soon as the captain announces we might hit some rough spots. And pick up some candied ginger from the Yum Yum man station outside the main dining room each evening.

This stuff has changed my life

https://motioneaze.com/

I started using it about 10 yrs ago on the recommendation of a fisherman friend whose son suffered from motion sickness.

It's all natural so it doesn't make you drowsy like the oral meds do and another significant difference is that once you have symptoms of motion sickness, Dramamine and Bonnie won't do much to help you...this will relieve those symptoms within 5 minutes.

I've always had motion sickness...my mom used to bring a plastic bag, wet face cloths and a change of clothes for me on car rides when we were kids and I never out grew it as some people do. I would get sick floating on a raft in our pool if the kids were making the water move.

Since I started using this I've been 100% better on cruises, planes and car rides. Can't recommend it enough.

I order it from that huge online retailer that starts with the letter A. Lol. Not sure if I can say the name here but I'm pretty sure you'll get it.

Bonine or Non Drowsy Dramamine. The active ingredient is Meclizine, which I'm pretty sure you can't buy in Canada. It's over the counter in the US and very easy to find.

We have eight days that are all open seas, but I'm thinking more about the Pacific Ocean motion...;)

I've spent a lot of time at sea in the military on crappy riding ships and small boats. One small short-term trick until you're able to take meds is breathing against the motion. When the ship goes down, breathe in. When it goes up, breathe out. This also works on ferries or other short trips. It tricks the mind and counters the motion a little.

Otherwise, a great natural remedy is real ginger. Try to grab some from the buffet or one of the restaurants.

One or two Bonine (meclazine and non-drowsy) at bedtime starting the night before boarding. Take it every night even if the seas are like glass. Don't miss a night. You must have it in your system at all times in case the seas get rough. I used to get seasick the minute I boarded a cruise, but since taking Bonine every night haven't felt even queasy one time. I bring my own so I don't have to go looking for it while on the ship. Stays on the table next to my bed.

My DW would get the pills from the front office and a green apple from the Lido and they worked very well to keep her from getting sick. She has recommended the green apples to others as well and they have worked for them too.

We're both pretty good for handling ocean motion, living on Vancouver Island means the only way you get your car off is on a ferry in any kind of weather that comes your way. But I did get a bit nauseous when we were in the Mediterranean during the last cruise aboard the Insignia - mind you it is a much smaller ship than what we're going on next week for the Panama Canal cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We have eight days that are all open seas, but I'm thinking more about the Pacific Ocean motion...;)

cheers,

Imagineer

Candied ginger, ginger capsules work. We get both at the health food store. Meclazine also works. Stay away from carbonated beverages.

Sent from my XT1064 using Forums mobile app

I only had one day that I had sea sickness on our last cruise. I ended up going in the hot tub for a bit, that way I could kind of float in the water and the water in the hot tub would move with the motion of the water rather than the boat so I could be still. It only took about 15 minutes and I felt much better and felt better the rest of the day.

Bonine for me as well but as stated, not available in Canada. I buy it across the border. I start taking it 2 nights before we sail and take it every night before bed during the cruise. Have never had sea sickness while using it.

Hi, I also recommend Ginger. - Take a seasickness med night before cruise travel, one again on day of cruise travel and next also day. Chew ginger lozenger's, drink herbal ginger tea and take ginger capsules if you feel squeemish at any time.

All this worked for me, as I am not a good 'sea traveller'. Always watch the horizon, rather than over the rails, lots of sea air will help. Green apples are offered on board, and they are supposed to help also.

Have a great trip

SeaBands wrist bands. Be sure to put them on in the right spot by following the direction. Available at most large drug stores and WalMarts. I noticed staff wearing them and asked about them. Good enough for staff, good enough for me. And will work on a full stomach while the Bonine or ginger are slower if you have eaten recently.

As an EMT we use the wrist accupressure point (just by holding the wrist point with my thumb) for patients experiencing nausea... nausea from any cause, not just motion.

We have used Bonine in the past but the wrist bands do the trick. Bonine works better for some people than others and probably best if you use it steadily. If I'm on a 48 night cruise I don't want to do that.

I find ginger tablets work faster than the sweet ginger the Yum Yum hands out, but both are good.

m--

Ok, yes this is a lighthearted toss but when I was a young Ordinary Seaman, a wise old Captain told me, while I was throwing up in a bucket, that a sure fire cure was to sit under an oak tree. Works every time. Unfortunately, all the "cures" in the world over all the centuries work for some and not at all for others. Try it all and if none works, there are lots of great land resorts. :cool:

https://motioneaze.com/

I started using it about 10 yrs ago on the recommendation of a fisherman friend whose son suffered from motion sickness.

It's all natural so it doesn't make you drowsy like the oral meds do and another significant difference is that once you have symptoms of motion sickness, Dramamine and Bonnie won't do much to help you...this will relieve those symptoms within 5 minutes.

I've always had motion sickness...my mom used to bring a plastic bag, wet face cloths and a change of clothes for me on car rides when we were kids and I never out grew it as some people do. I would get sick floating on a raft in our pool if the kids were making the water move.

Since I started using this I've been 100% better on cruises, planes and car rides. Can't recommend it enough.

I order it from that huge online retailer that starts with the letter A. Lol. Not sure if I can say the name here but I'm pretty sure you'll get it.

.....a proprietary Botanical Oil Blend [Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang-Ylang].

In the Neptune suite on our last cruise they had a small tube of Elemis Quiet Mind "temple rub" ointment that contained eucalyptus, camphor, mint, patchouli, and citrus oils --meant to soothe. I wonder if it was meant to be like Motioneaze'?

Green apples were recommended to us by crew members aboard the ship. We also have used Sea Bands and Bonine.

Now, after a dozen cruises, we find that if we start feeling queazy an apple or two ends the problem. We ask our room steward to add them to our fruit bowl or get them in the Lido.

Cheers!

I love to cruise but do get motion sickness so have tried just about everything, especially for trans-ocean cruises. Have tried both Bonine and meclizine and slept for a day each time. Tried patches and got double vision and a metallic taste (just luck of the draw) . Green apples, crackers and sea bands were a bit effective but not totally. I do much better on generic dramamine which I get from a big box store or thru Amazon for cheap. On days we rock and roll I take one when I get up and 1 before dinner and these usually hold me.

Bonine, aka Meclizine, is an anti-emetic that will help after you already have the effects of motion sickness. It will make you less drowsy than Dramamine, which is in essence, Benadryl.....