Connecting Door rooms? Will I have noise from neighbors?

aimcat

I think most people are missing the point.

I stayed in 2 connecting rooms during my recent Ovation of the Seas cruise, i.e. half my family is in the other connecting room.

You see, the connecting DOORS comprises 2 back-to-back insulated doors. Both doors have rubber seals around the edge of the doors. When shut, the sound insulation works very well.

But on the opposite wall of my cabin, i.e. the wall adjoining my neighbour's cabin (not the one with my connecting room), the noise from my neighbour was perceptible.

It seemed the walls are thinner and less insulated than the connecting doors.

As such, noise levels depend not so much on whether you have a connecting door or not, but rather whether your neighbours are noisy due to arguments or loud bedroom action.

I stayed in 2 connecting rooms during my recent Ovation of the Seas cruise, i.e. half my family is in the other connecting room.

You see, the connecting DOORS comprises 2 back-to-back insulated doors. Both doors have rubber seals around the edge of the doors. When shut, the sound insulation works very well.

But on the opposite wall of my cabin, i.e. the wall adjoining my neighbour's cabin (not the one with my connecting room), the noise from my neighbour was perceptible.

As such, noise levels depend not so much on whether you have a connecting door or not, but rather whether your neighbours are noisy due to arguments or loud bedroom action.

Agree.

Its like saying I sailed in a cabin on the starboard side, boy was it windy. Such wind! Then on another cruise I sailed in a cabin on the port side, barely a breeze. Now I know that cabins on the starboard side are windier. :rolleyes:

Who is staying in the cabin next door likely has a much bigger influence on whether you hear noise or not. I said likely. I admit the geek in me would appreciate a sound engineer doing tests to due determine the decibel difference between a connecting cabin and not a connecting cabin for the exact same test noise pattern. Of course you would then have to do it for every cabin on the ship, since different cabins are different. And then across every ship.

In other words, so many variables, impossible to predict if you will hear noise or not.

Personally, 2 of the 6 cruises we were on had connecting doors and never an issue. Of course I am a saint, so I KNOW my neighbors didn't even know I was there. ;)

When we sailed in connecting rooms there were 2 doors with space between, sort of a sound barrier. NEVER heard sounds from next door.

Just returned from 9092 on Brilliance and heard toilet flush throughout cruise. Don't know if it was from next door or cabin on deck 10. However, we were right off Centrum and they closed "fire door" while music was playing but did not reopen it, thus all night long every time someone came or went on our hallway the door would BANG. Not a pleasant experience. Guest Services said the door was closed because the music from Centrum disturbed the guests in cabins. We could NOT hear the music and we were in first cabin off Centrum also did not hear the elevators, just the banging door. We received a 15% discount for a future cruise for having our sleep disturbed. I would rather have heard the music than the banging door.

Connecting rooms have not been an issue for us and we have heard coughing, sea sick sounds and TV sound in many cabins which were not connecting.

Don't worry and enjoy your cruise.

All of the connecting rooms we've been in, it was just one door, that opened into one of the rooms. Perhaps they changed it on Ovation?

While I agree that it depends on how noisy your neighbors are, I believe that given the same level of noise, it's definitely more "hearable" in a connecting cabin.

Early on in our cruising experiences, we had a connecting cabin on the Navigator. I didn't realize this until it was too late. Bottom line, it was like having two room-mates for the duration of the cruise.

Never again! If you have normal hearing, you will notice that sound proofing is most assuredly compromised by the connecting door. And sound proofing combined with close quarters on a ship is already less than optimum. Unless your neighbours tip-toe about in their cabin, never turn on the TV, and never utter a word, with the interior connecting door, you will be acutely aware of company. Perhaps you'll luck out with considerate neighbours, perhaps not.

One expects to deal with a higher level of "normal activity" noise in a small ships' cabin when you cruise That's just the way it is ... a minor inconvenience that shouldn't impact your enjoyment of being at sea. But the interior connecting door can make it far worse. Why take a chance? Switch cabins if you can.

For me, I would never accept an interior connecting door in a hotel room. I've had enough bad experiences with those. And I won't book one on a ship. Others will disagree, but I've thrown in my 2 cents.

When smoking was allowed in the cabins, the cigarette smoke from the adjoining cabin came through the sides and the bottom of the door. I taped up the sides and put a towel in front of the bottom of the door to prevent the smoke from entering our cabin. Thank goodness you won't have THAT problem!

It must depend on the ship. On the Allure it is 1 steel door with locks on both sides and only opened one way. In my case into my neighbors

We have only had noise problems with non-connecting rooms! On one occasion it was extremely bad to the extent that the large picture on the wall was nearly knocked off our cabin wall when someone or something was slammed against the other side. This was not just once but several times during the cruise. Arguments were loud. Security visits did nothing to resolve whatever was going on.

Never have had any problems with connecting cabin door noise.

You also get a smaller sitting area, such as a chair instead of a loveseat, depending on the size of the cabin. I try to avoid connecting cabins, but if it was the only cabin left on a cruise I wanted to go on, I'd make an exception...

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never want a connecting door BUT for a different reason. Sometimes the room is layed out differently. Just enough to make the TV not usable from the bed. It is only really viewable from the seating area in the room. I only watch the TV for about 20 minutes before I go to sleep on a cruise. But it was enough to annoy me.

Plus, I did hear the people in the next room when they had their TV blaring or they were yelling at each other. Surprising how some people find something to fight about even on a cruise. You could hear them in the hall too as we left the room to go do anything but be in our room next to them.

We have our cruise coming up in a week on Harmony. I just realized our room is a connecting room. I was so excited when I booked and got a room close to the elevators that I didn't even see that part. Will we have noise from neighbors because of connecting door? Trying to see if I should try and change rooms or will it be no big deal?

Change rooms if you can.

We had a connecting room on the Harmony in late January. I heard every phone conversation, TV shows and could not get to sleep one night because of their TV show! I will do everything I can in the future NOT to have a connecting room.

I never want a connecting door BUT for a different reason. Sometimes the room is layed out differently. Just enough to make the TV not usable from the bed. It is only really viewable from the seating area in the room. I only watch the TV for about 20 minutes before I go to sleep on a cruise. But it was enough to annoy me.

Plus, I did hear the people in the next room when they had their TV blaring or they were yelling at each other. Surprising how some people find something to fight about even on a cruise. You could hear them in the hall too as we left the room to go do anything but be in our room next to them.

Very true. In some cases (some ships), a connecting door means the difference between a sofa and a chair.

Booked late on one cruise, and had to accept a connecting cabin. Never again.

Not only did we have to give up our couch for a single chair, but the family next to us had two very active teenage boys. The whole family was loud the entire time they were in the cabin, and the boys kept trying to open the (single) connecting door. I finally had it and yelled through the door "We are not letting in, so quit trying!!" They did not touch the door again, but were still loud the rest of the cruise.

Only one time was a connecting cabin a noise issue for us. DH always stands his suitcase up against a wall anyway, so that time he put it against the door. We hung a couple of garments at the top, and the noise was effectively muffled.

There are two doors between you and your neighbor....your door and their door. We've gotten connecting cabins before with my daughter and SIL in the next cabin. We've also had connecting cabins with a stranger in the cabin next to us. We've never heard a peep. I think your neighbor would have to be pretty loud for you to hear them.

There are two doors between you and your neighbor....your door and their door. We've gotten connecting cabins before with my daughter and SIL in the next cabin. We've also had connecting cabins with a stranger in the cabin next to us. We've never heard a peep. I think your neighbor would have to be pretty loud for you to hear them.

Not all ships have two doors.

On Brilliance, only time I had connecting room, heard the neighbor. He had a deep voice and the 2 laughed out loud late at nite. Bigger problem was he smoked on his Balcony with Balcony door open, smoke blew under connecting door. After 2 complaints over 2 days to end it...

Not on all ships. On some, it's one door.

Guys I was wrong our room is beside connecting rooms yet somewhere on something it said we had connecting rooms!

Problem solved for you!

I think this thread was good anyway because now people know that it's possible to hear noise with a connecting room, but sometimes it's not a problem. The layout of the room could be different with only a chair instead of a sofa. Some ships have two doors and others only one. In my experience, it was very easy to change from a connecting room to one that doesn't connect, but I needed to view the deck plans when I was on the phone because the customer service person didn't seem to know the difference.

Only had a connecting room once....never again. Every morning we were wakened up by the occupant....coughing ....cough cough cough....a real deep "up from the boots" sort of cough. Don't think a blanket/towel would have made any difference.

Sorry, I was getting over Tuberculosis [emoji40]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums