Cruise Line Shuttle? Or Private Car?

sjmbruce

I am starting to get a little neurotic ;p and am trying to decide if we should take the cruise sponsored shuttle or hire a private car to take us to the airport (LAX) after our cruise (disembarking in San Pedro).

I like that the car will get us there faster, but am worried if disembarkation is delayed, the car will leave and we won't have any transportation.

I like that the shuttle will wait if everyone is delayed, but I don't like that we'll have to wait for everyone and their luggage to board then sit through several drop offs at different terminals. Our flight is at 1:45.

What should I book??

When we disembarked at San Pedro in November, there were shuttles lined up. As they filled up, they took off for the airport. Price was $17 pp.

I reserved a private Super Shuttle. I got additional passengers to share the cost off my Roll Call. Price per person was not much different.

Perhaps someone recently off can confirm that shuttles are still there, waiting to load up.

The private car isn't going to leave without you unless you are delayed by many hours. Most likely you will be able to call them (while tied up at the dock) very easily, so no real problem there.

Personally, I would Uber, private shuttle (like SuperShuttle), or private car, in that order. Cruise line transfer and taxi would be my last choices.

Depending on the number of people in your party, I always rent a car. Hit up Priceline.com and the rates for even a one day rental unlimited miles has always hovered around $40.

For Miami, I am flying into FLL, renting a car and total cost for a large vehicle came out to $64. That included one way rental and drop off at the Port of Miami.

Just another option, and even better if you arrive a day earlier and then you have the freedom to explore the town a bit.

Uber or Lyft is half as reliable as a taxi? Curious where you are pulling that stat from?

I think maybe he is talking about some driver will cancel the ride because the traveling distance is too short for them and they don't make much money. But I think this will not be the case traveling from Port of Los Angeles to LAX. It is a good distance and they could easily pick up another passenger from LAX.

Depending on the number of people in your party, I always rent a car. Hit up Priceline.com and the rates for even a one day rental unlimited miles has always hovered around $40.

For Miami, I am flying into FLL, renting a car and total cost for a large vehicle came out to $64. That included one way rental and drop off at the Port of Miami.

Just another option, and even better if you arrive a day earlier and then you have the freedom to explore the town a bit.

The OP is asking about same day transportation from San Pedro to LAX....renting a car for this wouldn't be the best option ;)

It has been several years, but when RC cruised out of San Pedro frequently took cruises from there. Landed at LAX and booked Go Sedan, part of the shuttle group. They were excellent. Used several times, both ways, and they were very similar in price to a cab. Always a town car, large SUV, very clean, uniformed driver, etc. We were given an 800 number to call from baggage pick-up area, airport or cruise terminal, and driver would answer and advise he was there, in a parking area, and would be there to pick up immediately.

Uber or Lyft is half as reliable as a taxi? Curious where you are pulling that stat from?

They are unreliable because they are, except for a very few municipalities, unregulated in California. Few if any repercussions if they don't show (or don't maintain their vehicles) - unlike taxis and limo/town car services. Bottom line here is that you really do get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are unreliable because they are, except for a very few municipalities, unregulated in California. Few if any repercussions if they don't show (or don't maintain their vehicles) - unlike taxis and limo/town car services. Bottom line here is that you really do get what you pay for.

So, I'm assuming you have never actually used Uber or Lyft to check out this theory? Because I have never seen any evidence to support this- in terms of failing to provide service based on their regulatory status.

So, I'm assuming you have ever actually used Uber or Lyft to check out this theory?

Have used Uber but only when I don't have to be somewhere at a certain time where there is potential to incur significant added cost if I am late or miss a connection (e.g., SFO or Port of SF). I know quite a few folks who have been burned by Uber snafus including missed flights (not to mention the occasional news item about abusive/dangerous Uber/Lift drivers).

There is also a related big issue locally in that SF is a "union" town and we support cabbies. In the City, we would always do our best to use a taxi if we don't want to take our own car and hunt for parking. Uber would be the more likely candidate for heading into SF from adjacent counties - only because there are very few taxis.