Is it safe to get off ship in Nassau

Our first port on our cruise (Allure May 14) is in Nassau. Just read yesterday that there has been another shooting right near the pier on Thursday. I hate to have to miss out on checking out the island but obviously safety is our first priority. For anyone that has done a resort for the day, do you feel that the resort areas feel safe, or should we just avoid getting off the ship all together?

Don't let the reports scare you

... especially if it was "Cruise Law News".

We actually rode the minibuses that the shooting involved. We hopped off the bus down the hill from Ardastra and walked through the neighborhood and up the hill. When we were done we "jaywalked" across the road and flagged down a bus--I don't think there were formal stops!

And the first time we were in Nassau, we walked to Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle. We ended up buying some g'nips (sp?) and a little turtle string toy from a boy by the staircase.

At no point did we feel unsafe! The locals were SO friendly and the bus driver tried didn't even ask for us to pay (we did, though). I'm sure there are murders, but that's everywhere.

I'd suggest going ashore. Especially if you are just doing the resort for a day...just go an don't worry!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I second the previous post. No place is perfectly safe, but you should not stay on the ship if you have something planned. It is a great port and the people are really friendly.

We walked all round Nassau last December and never felt in any danger. We chatted to local people, all were friendly and welcoming. We didn't go to a resort hotel. We walked back streets behind the fort (Fincastle) to get to Ardastra then ate in Goldies at Junkanoo. I wanted to try conch and it was great.

We try not to look rich whenever we go ashore. I take off rings, we wear cheap watches, don't use iPhone on the street. Just general common sense things. But some people go ashore glimmering with gold and diamonds then wonder why they were targeted.

Nassau is pleasant, a little tacky in places, but not somewhere I would avoid going to.

That said, 45 murders does sound a lot! We reckon we have 1 a month where we live in UK.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious though why I shouldn't be concerned if I read it on "Cruise Law News" (I did actually lol). There have been 45 murders there so far this year, and it's a pretty small island😳.

While I wouldn't say you shouldn't be concerned just because you read something on that site, in my opinion that site tends to sensationalize.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

We've been there multiple times, including just over a week ago and have never really been concerned. We also, several years ago, walked to the Queen's staircase, just a couple of years before a person was shot there during a robbery (early am not many people out when it happened). We've gone back since. The people are mostly very nice and we just try to be aware, just like in any city. Most of the crime in Nassau is by locals on locals. Just like any city/town there will be crimes of opportunity (pick pockets, for example) so just stay aware and avoid areas that appear seedy like you would anywhere.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious though why I shouldn't be concerned if I read it on "Cruise Law News" (I did actually lol). There have been 45 murders there so far this year, and it's a pretty small island😳.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

That site is run by an ambulance chaser who is not very popular around here.

Nassau can be full of pickpockets, drug dealers, people offering sex etc. Some passengers never encounter this, but it does have it's dark side.

That doesn't mean you should stay on the ship. Take a ships tour and or travel in groups until you are more comfortable exploring certain ports.

Crime happens everywhere, just don't let your guard down, be aware of what is around you, and leave the bulky wallet and jewelry on the ship.

Cruise Critic is wonderful for learning more about the ports and the ship. Please join your roll call and there you can chat with others on your ship.

Have a great cruise.:)

Let's see... There was a shooting in Paris this week. There were shootings in NYC this week - and it's not unheard of for people to be pushed on the subway tracks. Pretty sure there have been things in lots of high tourist areas. Are you going to avoid them all??

When it's your time, it's your time. Period. If you avoid the universe's Plan A for you, Plan B will get you.

You have two choices - live your life to the fullest or stay "safe" in your house. You'll end up dead either way because no one gets out of life alive.

i'd be more worried about the people constantly asking you , and literally standing in front of you blocking your way, just to sell their wares. thats 100% guaranteed gonna happen to you. and we made it through 2 aisles of the straw market before deciding the badgering was enough. do they think they can coerce you into buying? pushy people totally turn me off

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious though why I shouldn't be concerned if I read it on "Cruise Law News" (I did actually lol). There have been 45 murders there so far this year, and it's a pretty small island��.

Cruise Law News has an agenda. He is a lawyer whose business is suing cruise lines. As far as Nassau he hates the Bahamas since they foreign flag many ships. He often goes off on a vendetta about Nassau and sensationalizes the situation there. His articles are far from objective.

If you concerned about Nassau I recommend to take a taxi or a small boat to Paradise island and spend some time in Atlantis. For about $40 pp you can walk around beautiful aquariums and grounds. We do it often. Or you can book excursion.

We were just in Nassau April 10 aboard Allure, we got off the ship, everyone was friendly and great to talk to. We walked the town just outside port and went down by Senior Frogs. We never felt uncomfortable. It was my DH myself with our 2 kids DS6 and DD9 who DS is autistic. If you want to experience the island do a ship tour. There will be many doing the same since Allure is there a short time .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You only hear about bad things. Read all the scary things about Jamaica and just said no to people coming up to us and they were fine and left us alone. Nassau will always be a bad memory though. Woman constantly following us in a bloody white dress and we finally ran to a public area where she left us alone. Freak incident I guess.

We will never book another cruise with a stop in Nassau again. It has been over 25 years ago since this happened on our first cruise, but it just too intense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nassau Bahamas is nasty. You can only walk on the first 2 streets parallel to where you port is what they all tell you when "leaving" the port area. We knew this in advance, so we took an excursion on a boat, then walked the area close to the port afterwards. If I never went there again I'd be happy. Id rather go to Jamaica or Cozumel any day. Another fun one, believe it or not is Progresso

In all our frequent visits to Nassau we have never encountered a problem. We stick to the area on and around Bay Street unless we take a bus out to the Daiquiri Shack. If the ship stays in Nassau late or overnight we stay on the ship after dark.

PS, Just remembered an interesting conversation I had with one of our servers in a restaurant we frequent on Bay Street. He told us he would be visiting Orlando, FL in a few weeks and asked if there were any areas he should avoid. I told him where the high crime area is there and he appreciated my response.

Most cities have neighborhoods one should avoid to stay away from trouble. Nassau is no different than most cities!

Edited by Scotty G
add PS

I have been to Nassau many times over the years. Including twice in the couple of years. We have walked through out the downtown area, taken jitney's out to the Fish Fry. Taken taxis out to various hotels and have never had a problem.

Having said that, just like if you are visiting NYC SF, LA etc, be aware of your surroundings and take sensible precautions.

We go for a run every time we go to Nassau.

Sometimes over to Paradise Island- including running to the second bridge, over, through many areas, and back. Other than taxi drivers asking if we want a ride, we've never had a problem. Based on that, we've walked over to Atlantis, which is about 2 miles.

We've also run the opposite direction toward Junkanoo Beach- and way beyond that (and the Fish Fry area). There's a trail most of the way along the road.

One of our most frequent ports, and have never encountered anything we would consider dangerous.

So....

We docked in Nassau this March. My husband was not feeling well so I went alone. This sixty-five-year-old never once felt in danger, threatened, or frightened in any way. There were SO many cruise ship passengers, most with families or friends in groups. Just stick with the crowd, you'll never feel scared.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious though why I shouldn't be concerned if I read it on "Cruise Law News" (I did actually lol). There have been 45 murders there so far this year, and it's a pretty small island.

Then stay out of Philadelphia...lol...my husband and I joke every day when the news comes on, we say very sarcastically "not in Philly!" Seems like Every single night in one part or another ,there is A shooting on a good night and several on a bad night! I sometimes wonder how that city has anyone left alive!

We usually stick to shore excursions through the ship when we go to Nassau. The last one we did dropped us off not at the cruise port but down the street around Senior Frogs. I was not too pleased with that. Had to walk back and just didn't enjoy the area at all. Not a port I like to just wonder around at.

My friend and I walked from our ship, Majesty, all the way to Ardastra Gardens and back on our own in December.... In fact, we also went to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle too. All on foot and without a guide. Never felt out of place or in danger. In January we were back in the same port on Harmony (walked around Atlantis that time since it was a short port day)