I have never done WJ for dinner.

Lots of great feedback here. Thanks. As a solo cruiser, 9 day Anthem NE/Canada wondering if I'm better off in MDR traditional and meeting some folks or striking out on my own in WJ. Do people let you sit with them in WJ or would I be on my own? (I'm ok either way).

You woild most likely be sitting alone in WJ. I'd try for a table for 6 or 8 in traditional dining.

Lots of great feedback here. Thanks. As a solo cruiser, 9 day Anthem NE/Canada wondering if I'm better off in MDR traditional and meeting some folks or striking out on my own in WJ. Do people let you sit with them in WJ or would I be on my own? (I'm ok either way).

We have often sat with others in the WJ. There are often other Solo eaters or others who are open to having someone sit with them and chat.

One more question. When it comes time at the end of the cruise, when you do your tipping. If you eat all your meals in the windjammer. What do you do about the gratuities for the head waiter and asst. waiter and everyone in the MDR? Do you still leave them their gratuities? Sorry, if this seems like a stupid question. We have always eaten in the MDR, but with our upcoming cruise, we are thinking about just eating all our meals in the Windjammer. We are just wanting to take it easy, and not have to worry about dressing up every night. Thank you in advance for you responses.

do you anticipate eating at all in MDR?

I would like to know if they charge a gratuity if you eat in the WJ. I ask this question because I have heard many people say they take the tips off because they do not eat in the MDR. I was under the assumption that the tips go into a pool and are shared among all the servers in the MDR and also WJ so why would someone want to do that to the servers who wait on you and clean up after you. Just my 2 cents.

I would like to know if they charge a gratuity if you eat in the WJ. I ask this question because I have heard many people say they take the tips off because they do not eat in the MDR. I was under the assumption that the tips go into a pool and are shared among all the servers in the MDR and also WJ so why would someone want to do that to the servers who wait on you and clean up after you. Just my 2 cents.

Your standard gratuity covers the wait staff in WJ for breakfast , lunch, and dinner.

As a solo cruiser I like traditional MDR - table for 8 or 10. Enjoy meeting up again at dinner . If you get a table you don't think you will "bond" with ask to be changed for day 2. Often eat in windjammer for breakfast and lunch - never seem to connect with people like I do at dinner.

I like to try a bit of everything that's on offer.

So breakfast lunch and diner try

Room service, MDR, Buffett

As well as anything else like pizza or burgers or sandwiches whatever that line and ship have on offer.

They expect it' date=' most people get more then 1 plate [emoji1']

It was a bit weird. There were two tails per plate in MTD but I looked down on deck 3 in traditional and they were getting only one per plate.

One more question. When it comes time at the end of the cruise, when you do your tipping. If you eat all your meals in the windjammer. What do you do about the gratuities for the head waiter and asst. waiter and everyone in the MDR? Do you still leave them their gratuities? Sorry, if this seems like a stupid question. We have always eaten in the MDR, but with our upcoming cruise, we are thinking about just eating all our meals in the Windjammer. We are just wanting to take it easy, and not have to worry about dressing up every night. Thank you in advance for you responses.

Just speaking from my own experience in January...we only went once to the WJ for dinner, and we had very attentive service. My hubby slipped the waiter who had taken care of us (he even found me some pumpkin rolls, when there were none to be found) a nice tip. Yes, I know...we pay for tips in our gratuities, but this young man really delivered quality dining service, and we were more than happy to show him our appreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will see the many of the same waiters in the WJ for breakfast that had served you in the dining room the previous evening. They really do work a lot of hours.

We had one nice waitress in the WJ that remembered my DH loves those coconut ranger cookies. She would save some for him, and happily surprised him with them when we walked in. :hearteyes:

You will see the many of the same waiters in the WJ for breakfast that had served you in the dining room the previous evening. They really do work a lot of hours.

We had one nice waitress in the WJ that remembered my DH loves those coconut ranger cookies. She would save some for him, and happily surprised him with them when we walked in. [emoji813]eyes:

On Liberty last fall was the first time I really noticed this, probably because I saw not only our waiter, but the head waiter for our section. Only saw them there a couple of mornings, but it seemed very surreal at first. Almost like when you were a kid and saw your teacher out in the real world the first time. Lol

on liberty last fall was the first time i really noticed this, probably because i saw not only our waiter, but the head waiter for our section. Only saw them there a couple of mornings, but it seemed very surreal at first. Almost like when you were a kid and saw your teacher out in the real world the first time. Lol

LOL!! Cute comparison. :D

Have never had dinner in the WJ and don't intend to. I didn't pay all that money to server myself on a melamine plate and then fight for a seat amongst the participants in the onboard plate-piling competition.

I enjoy the relaxed ambience of the MDR, picking up conversations from yesterday with tablemates, having the waiter describe the recommendations. Meals are part of the cruise experience, to be savoured, not rushed and got out of the way. For me the WJ is fine for lunch or a snack.beyond what the Cafe on the Promenade offers, but dinner? No thanks.

Have never had dinner in the WJ and don't intend to. I didn't pay all that money to server myself on a melamine plate and then fight for a seat amongst the participants in the onboard plate-piling competition.

I enjoy the relaxed ambience of the MDR, picking up conversations from yesterday with tablemates, having the waiter describe the recommendations. Meals are part of the cruise experience, to be savoured, not rushed and got out of the way. For me the WJ is fine for lunch or a snack.beyond what the Cafe on the Promenade offers, but dinner? No thanks.

Happy to hear that. Hopefully you can convince more people to do the same.:)

I have to say I'm with you on this one.

I actually look forward to those two hour dinners with our tablemates, it's all part of cruising to me:)

Julie

what time does the WJ open for dinner ? We have a early show and are going to miss our 5:30 dining time.

Varies. Most recently, it has opened around 30 minutes later than the MDR.

I am not, by nature, a buffet person. I do WJ for breakfast or solarium bistro, but never dinner. After reading the forums, I may just give it a go on a solo cruise in Sept on Anthem. How does the drink package work? I like to start with a cocktail and then a glass of wine with dinner. Do I have to wander around to make this happen?

As the years and cruises have gone by, I've done a 180 in my dining preferences. I used to only go to the MDR for dinner, and the casual options for breakfast and lunch. Now I prefer breakfast and lunch in the MDR (when available) and the WJ for dinner.

I think it has more to do with avoiding the crowds than anything else. The dinner in the WJ is decent enough, and I like being able to get in and out quickly. The hour or more in the MDR just doesn't appeal anymore. But everyone likes different experiences.

As far as drinks go, I haven't had a problem finding a bar waiter, or at least a regular waiter who will then send one over.

As the years and cruises have gone by, I've done a 180 in my dining preferences. I used to only go to the MDR for dinner, and the casual options for breakfast and lunch. Now I prefer breakfast and lunch in the MDR (when available) and the WJ for dinner.

I think it has more to do with avoiding the crowds than anything else. The dinner in the WJ is decent enough, and I like being able to get in and out quickly. The hour or more in the MDR just doesn't appeal anymore. But everyone likes different experiences.

As far as drinks go, I haven't had a problem finding a bar waiter, or at least a regular waiter who will then send one over.

This has been our experience on our last two Royal cruises as well.

You can't get me near the WJ for breakfast anymore. Utter chaos to deal with. But dinner is completely different. If we don't feel like changing out of shorts/tshirts or see nothing on the MDR menu they post daily we gladly go to the WJ.

Lighting is lower, its quiet and the food is good. Another plus for us is not sitting for a 1 1/2 hr dinner. Never had a problem getting a cocktail either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We like doing a buffet dinner once per cruise especially with a late port departure.

We usually wander in with a wine or whatnot and eat our savoury stuff looking out onto the coean or maybe even on an open deck. We then have a wander round, maybe pick up another drink and have some dessert.

Its nice to just pop on a casual outfit, eat and wrap up in a shawl on deck and cosy eat. Theres nothing down class about it. Especially when you consider the food comes from the same kitchen and you can custom your plate to how you like it.