Oosterdam lost power last night

azcruise

Currently on a 7 day Alaska cruise, round trip Seattle. Between Sitka and Ketchikan last night (around 11:00), the ship went completely dark. Some lights came on in about 5 minutes, and an announcement was made saying we had lost power, but engineering was restarting sytems. We were in deep water and still moving. 20 minutes later another announcement saying main propulsion had been restarted and we were once again moving under power. A third announcement said most systems were back up and we would stay on schedule.

First time in 20+ cruises to have something like this happen! Will be interested to see if we get any more information about what caused it.

5 minutes without power is not an issue. As long as the toilets work you will be OK. The Ruby's toilet stopped working for 3 hours on my trip after it came out of drydock.

A number of years ago a rogue wave on a trans-Atlantic caused the almost brand new Nieuw Amsterdam to lose power too.

She was following our Maasdam trans-Atlantic by a few days - we had a very smooth TA passage. What a difference a few days can make over the same body of water.

When "O" returns to Seattle I'm pretty sure they will give her a good check and review the incident details. Since Victoria is so close I would not be surprised if they try to get in to Seattle earlier than the usual 6:10 am docking time this Sunday.

Gryphonette - Check our Roll Call - I posted a welcome there.

We thought it interesting that the captain's first comment was that we were in deep water. Until he said that, running aground had not occurred to us!! We know what the captain thinks about first!!!!

We were on a dam ship (can't remember which one, either Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam) a few years ago and we lost power while still docked (can't remember the Caribbean port). A few minutes later everything was back to normal and there were no further incidents the rest of the cruise.

Ship happens.

We thought it interesting that the captain's first comment was that we were in deep water. Until he said that, running aground had not occurred to us!! We know what the captain thinks about first!!!!
I am certain there is someone ready to contradict me but I suggest, Captains always, think of safety first. :)

A number of years ago a rogue wave on a trans-Atlantic caused the almost brand new Nieuw Amsterdam to lose power too.

She was following our Maasdam trans-Atlantic by a few days - we had a very smooth TA passage. What a difference a few days can make over the same body of water.

My parents were on the Rotterdam in 2004 which lost power for several hours in the teeth of Hurricane Karl in the midst of a TA crossing. They had some stories to tell....!

I am certain there is someone ready to contradict me but I suggest, Captains always, think of safety first. :)

We were glad he was thinking of it first! My first thought was about plumbing;-)

We were on a Princess on a trans Pacific cruise & lost power for awhile a few years back in the middle of the night. After wandering around the decks for awhile everything came back on again, we never were told why.

Allan

We lost electricity/power on the Oosterdam briefly leaving Tortola in 2004. (Probably not related. ;) ) The only problem was that I was in the shower. The water kept running, but boy is it dark in the bathroom!

It could have as simple as a valve turned the wrong direction, or on today's ships a computer glitch.

Back when I was aboard ship, a fireman forgot to keep the day tank for the generator full. The generators shutoff, the electrical systems shutdown, and the clutches for the main engines released stopping the propellors. We were in formation with two other ships at the time. When the ship's horn sounded the emergency signal that we were floundering, the other two ships made 90 degree turns away from us to avoid collision. We were like a cork floating on the ocean for about twenty minutes. All that for not paying attention to his duties!

We lost power one morning on the Norway. I remember the captain's announcement. He said that they had a problem and had to shut down power and would gradually restore it. Until that time we would be "adrift in the Atlantic." Well, we were, but I'm not sure he had to phrase it that way!

On a Diamond Princess off Hawaii several years ago we lost power while we were getting ready for bed, about 11pm; the cabins had an emergency light at the vanity that came on, and hallways had emergency lights but most of the public areas went dark. The captain immediately told us we were in "deep water with no hazards nearby" and that they were rebooting the computers, expecting full power in a few minutes - took about 20 minutes. The captain came on the PA 3 times to keep us informed but no cause given.

On our last cruise, on HAL Amsterdam, we were in a tender heading to the reef pass at Fanning Island when the tender engine(s) suddenly stopped, leaving us to drift.. but the Able Seaman on board jumped through the front hatch in a flash and deployed an anchor. The anchor didn't really hold us perfectly but slowed us down. The ship sent a tender to tow us.... the deployed anchor had to be sacrificed (line cut) because there was no slack to pull it up because we were dragging it in the fast (8kt) current coming out of the pass. We were towed back to the ship, not easy and uneventful but we were all fine. Never got a peep as to the cause. We were ushered into the crew recreation room next to the platform, Deck A, and given a large bottle of water each to re-hydrate. That tender was running later in the day so whatever was wrong, they figured it out. I wrote a letter to the Captain commending the fast work of the AB; saw that AB several times after that, and he was so thankful to us... said it may have saved his job, something which didn't make any sense to us, so there may have been more to the story than we knew or will ever know. The AB showed excellent training and situation awareness, but still, that was a situation that should never have happened and could have been very much worse.

Ship Happens! m--

Note to self: don't forget the little flashlights.

I always pack an LED headband flashlight. Handy to have hands free if I ever need to put on life vest in the dark. Being on the head it automatically points where I am looking.

My parents were on the Rotterdam in 2004 which lost power for several hours in the teeth of Hurricane Karl in the midst of a TA crossing. They had some stories to tell....!

I bet they did! I remember the incident well, and remember being thankful I had disembarked shortly before that cruise.

Of all the power stoppages reported, this is the scariest (to me, anyway), since the ship was not only dead in the water, for a lengthy period of time, but they were in a bad storm. Had a large wave hit the ship broadside, they could have been in a lot of trouble.

I'm also leaving early tom'w am to fly to Seattle for my first HAL cruise on Oosterdam on Sunday. I'll be sure to leave the IPhones out charged during the week for the flashlight app, just in case! It will be interesting to see if we're able to leave on time on Sunday,or if they need time in port for any checkups or repairs.

Otherthan the power failure, I hope you're having a great time and the weather is ok. Can't wait to board.

We were sailing the old Regal Princess in the Baltic when the ship totally lost power. No lights, no elevators, no flushing toilets, no propulsion. Stayed that way for about 3 hours, if I remember correctly. Just glad it was daylight.