Portions of MDR Menu items

I'm looking at various photos posted by cruisers of items they have ordered of the MDR menues.

It all looks very tasty, but I was wondering about portion size. I know appetites vary, but would you still be hungry if you ordered one appetiser, one entree and a dessert?

I saw a picture of the classic spaghettie bolognaise and a fork was in the foreground on the table with the plate behind it. Looked like maybe three or four twirled forkfuls and the dish would be done. I would still be hungry. Maybe it was just the angle in the phot that made the fork look so much bigger than the food?

Is it accurate to say the portions (though fitting US FDA guidlines for healthy portion size) are a little on skimpy side? Is it because they expect diners to try everything on the menu?

Or do you think that portions are about what they should be?

Yeah I never manage to finish all 3 courses without feeling stuffed. If you really want more you can have it. Sometimes my husband and I will ask for just an extra entree without the sides to split, or we'll each order a dessert and split a third.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I was hoping that all the entrees would be on the smallish side, so that I could order a few to try each without stuffing myself!

Some entrees are small, such as the garlic tiger shrimp. Not a big deal to eat a portion.

I often get two apps - like the soup and a salad. Sometimes we order a second entree to share on the table. Plus there is so much food all over the ship you prob ate 2 hrs before dinner and will have a slice of pizza later. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No, the entrees aren't small; rather, our American impression of "right sized" has been "upsized" over the last couple decades. This is worst when we go to a restaurant; they load us up with double-or-more sized portions because the food itself is cheap, and because we tend to consider a meal a better value if we can eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Keep in mind that on a ship you're probably going to eat a big breakfast ... then for lunch you'll have an appetizer-entree-dessert ... then for dinner you'll have an appetizer-soup/salad-entree-dessert-plus drinks. Even if the entree itself isn't huge, this adds up to a great deal of food. Most of us aren't used to eating multi-course meals every meal for days in a row.

Personally, I'm a small person and just can't keep up with the food -- at least, I can't keep up with all the food AND keep wearing a bikini. So I skip the bread (it's nothing special) and limit myself to one item for appetizer-soup-salad ... and I only eat half the dessert, which isn't spectacular on Royal anyway. I also watch alcohol because the only drinks I like (fru-fru drinks) are pure calories. I look and feel better when I eat judiciously.

Honestly you could get one app, one entree, and one dessert and be full even if you are really into eating (this is how we vacation... walk.. sit... eat... :) ). Dessert portions in particular are very reasonable (as in, not huge) - you can finish them in a few bites although they can be rich.

If the meals earlier in the day haven't been larger than normal DH and I usually order a few apps to share, and occasionally an extra entree to share (especially as I'm not a huge dessert person). It's more food than normal at home, but it's also vacation.

You will not go hungry. The portions are good and if they aren't you can always get more without complaint.

one time on another cruise line i asked for a 2nd portion of X because i liked it. the guy told me that they are really busy now and it would take a long time. basically discouraging me

Yeah as others said 25-30 years ago on Royal was a 5 course meal on Royal, taking a whole 2 hrs to eat. Now I just get Soup, Entree and Dessert(or 2) and out in 25-30 min. Though now unless I bring the kids/grand kids I have my own table...

Yeah as others said 25-30 years ago on Royal was a 5 course meal on Royal, taking a whole 2 hrs to eat. Now I just get Soup, Entree and Dessert(or 2) and out in 25-30 min. Though now unless I bring the kids/grand kids I have my own table...

...25 minutes, WOW. Do you use a shovel? ;p:D

We still make our meals in the MDR (table for two) 5 courses (appetizer, salad, soup, entree and desert (or 2 :D) each evening. All courses we order are brought out separately and at our pace. Never rushed by the wait staff. We are usually done eating in about an hour and forty five minutes.

Edited by davekathy

sometimes the appetizers are just to good to only choose one!!! I am guilty of ordering two! They never have a problem and I have done it on Carnival and NCL. They usually question when you haven't eaten all your food because they are afraid you didn't like it!

After 17 cruises in the last 30 some years I can say that between Sept of 2015 on the Oasis, and May of 2017 on the Allure the portion sizes have gotten( SMALLER ) in just the last 2 years. Everything from salad, soup, main entry, to desert. I am not a big eater but a sliver of cheese cake that is maybe 4-5 bites is small.

As I mentioned, if they stick with US FDA dietary guidelines, small portions are "normal" and healthy. They lend themselves perfectly to a cruise, so people can order more items to try.

I usually order one app, one main and one dessert and am always full. Sometimes I skip the dessert if I've had a few nibbles in the lounge first.

The portions seem normal size to me, it probably does depend where you come from though, I can rarely manage more than one course when we visit restaurants in the US, the portions seem huge. You must all starve when you visit this side of the pond!

Julie