Shoes for Formal Nights

RSchroeder987

That is the beauty of it, wear what you want. I wasn't advocating anything just trying to help her understand the options if not aware of them.

I agree..and everyone now still looks great, a bit updated , fresh, and very happy...

We heard Alaska was more casual and DH decided only at the last minute to take his tux. Turned out to be really glad he did as we had a invite to the Captain's table.

We always do formal still on chic nights and are never out of place.

Dress up and enjoy!

I'm glad you enjoyed your evening at the Captain's table. But the Captain's table is gone now. They now do dinner in specialty restaurant or Luminae with officers. When we had dinner with officers I worn jeans and a short sleeve shirt.

Our last cruise friend wore tux with tails. I was in jeans an a long sleeve shirt on Evening Chic night.

As to shoes. Bring the high heels as backup. Wear the saddles they will be fine. As to tux, suit... it is your cruise and your celebrating. Rent them if you wish, but not needed.

Something along these lines:

4791_navy_single_2_2048x2048.jpg?v=1453761378

2495011_fpx.tif??op_sharpen=1&fit=fit,1&$filterlrg$&wid=1200&hei=1467

I know they're not a great choice, but surely barefoot isn't much better?

What do you ladies think? Or men too, if you are so inclined.

A couple of years ago I snapped off my little toe, broke off a piece of the bone that holds the toes together wearing one of these when I walked into the leg of a table. My husband snapped my little toe back and I tapped 2 toes together for about a month until my toe looked straight again. I was in severe pain for a long time and subsequently x-ray showed bone fracture and the connecting bone that was missing a piece that had broken off, likely to be absorbed into the system. Now I only wear closed toe shoes or at least, shoes that hold all the toes in together.

We've been on two Celebrity cruises when the captain made requests that high heels NOT be worn, the seas were too rough and they didn't want injuries. I was happy to comply, and in the interest of safety( and sprained ankles), I've never been tempted again to bring my high heels( 1" or less works for me). The week I spent in a wheel chair on a cruise was NOT fun.

Being a mum of two young kids I still like to dress up a bit on our cruises as it's the only chance I really get . I tend to go for a mid heel sparkly pair , evening chic just means you can dress up as much as you like or not so much . Go to then I say , put on your posh frocks and your tuxes... you'll be the belle of the ball !! Have a wonderful time .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did you know Sketchers is now doing a dressy sandal?

Here's a pic of the ones I just wore on the Summit

41032629138566.jpg

I wore these every night on board, and I have bad knees, but these felt very stable and the gel sole made them extremely comfortable to walk around in.

Is that an attempt at humor? Those sandals are perfectly fine for a "Chic Night" on Celebrity. In fact, I really like them and wouldn't hesitate to wear them any night on Celebrity...and I have been many nights on Celebrity. I'm afraid I don't understand your post at all.

There was a VERY long thread a few weeks ago about a person being denied access to the Captain's Elite Event while wearing a flat sandal (apparently not a rubber flip flop) and others chimed in that they'd been denied entry wearing heeled sandals. And plenty of others had no problems whatsoever with either.

Sounds like you missed the thread.

That was a doozy of a thread! Gangway Style you should search for it.

And yes (;p) means it's a joke.

Even though Celebrity doesn't have formal nights anymore, many still dress up for their chic nights...do whatever you want to do! It's your vacation! As for the shoes, I have glittery flats that are my go to....comfort is an important as style I think :) Enjoy and Happy Anniversary!

Me too. Hopefully he isn't wearing socks with the sandals.

I'm trying to picture that.

OP, I would suggest shoe shopping is in order. A low heel would enhance the look of your dress vice the flip flops you posted. I admit to being a bit of a shoe collector, :o , and in my collection I have a few pair of extremely comfortable low heels that are perfect for dressing up on a cruise.

Besides, shopping is fun!

Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the information.

Our honeymoon was an Alaskan cruise on Royal Caribbean, ten years ago. We ended up on Celebrity this time because they were one of the only ones left still going to Sitka, which was non-negotiable for us. Sitka is simply the best part of our journey.

Formal night on RC was still dressy, though most people opted for suits rather than tuxes. Still, by and large, almost everyone was dressed up and tuxedos were very common. Hubby didn’t wear a tux then (we were broke as a joke) but wore his nicest suit and I had a nice gown already. That’s the only cruise we’ve done, so our information is definitely behind the times and from another cruise line.

Our honeymoon must have been during bad weather. I remember most evenings being choppy. One night they had to dismantle the grand buffet for fear of it falling over and locked up all the doors to the deck, so my past may be skewing my perception of the steadiness of the ship.

We’re almost directly mid-ship this time, rather than at one end like on the honeymoon. That combined with the Infinity being smaller should cut down on the total amount of walking. Perhaps I’m planning for the worst and it’s just not necessary.

Perfectly aware we don’t HAVE to dress up, but it’s our ten year anniversary and we want to dress up. If the DH and son had nice suits that fit we probably would take those. Unfortunately our son is growing up like a weed, and the hubby has grown out a bit in his current season of life, and I don’t want to buy suits that both of them won’t get much use out of. We’re not packing tuxes, they’re delivered and ready on board, so if anything, it’s less things to remember to pack and try to smooth wrinkles out of.

Perhaps we’re old fashioned for our age, but we miss the glamour of cruising. No judgement against anyone who doesn’t dress for dinner or Evening Chic nights, we just tend to embrace the older formalities when given the option. It’s what is right for our family. It’s about memories and something special for us. It’s good to know we will be in the minority by going formal – it doesn’t sway our decision at all, but at least there are no surprises.

Now, onto shoes.

You are all right, even those first pair are still flipflops, and they don’t do the dress justice. I was trying to convince myself they did. Your truth is appreciated. J

The ballroom shoes – brilliant! I danced years ago, I should have remembered about those, they might be just the ticket. Definitely worth looking into.

Loving all the shoe inspiration and ideas, and experiences you all have had. A whole thread with shoe inspiration is a good thing.

Glad to hear you haven't been out off by the nay Sayers. I find that those who don't want to dress up are trying to convince everyone that they shouldn't. Evening chic is whatever you want it to be!

Enjoy your celebration the way you want to!

Glad to hear you haven't been out off by the nay Sayers. I find that those who don't want to dress up are trying to convince everyone that they shouldn't. Evening chic is whatever you want it to be!

Please show us the "nay Sayers" who are "trying to convince everyone they shouldn't. I think you will find precisely the opposite.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I have horribly uncomfortable wide feet with a high arch. Sometimes I have gout, which causes one toe to swell (yes, I could follow doctor's orders and avoid everything I love, but I'd rather wear Birkenstocks than give up wine and shellfish). I also have plantar fasciitis (PF) so when it isn't one thing it is the other. I've tried dozens of pairs of shoes - I think Zappos must be getting tired of me ordering and returning shoes. I found a pair that will work if the gout isn't troubling me and that sort of work with the PF. I also have a pair of dressy flip flops that I call sandals that I can wear for a time at dinner, 2 pair of Birkenstocks - one traditional, one more sandal looking, and a pair of Clarks. If the gout is acting up it will be the traditional Birkenstocks. I've given up on looking well-shod.

So if you see someone in shoes that you wouldn't wear around the house, have a little sympathy, it might not be a lack of style but a desire to be able to walk.

Just reiterating - I LOVE these shoes!

SaveSave

And they are so comfy!!!! They are Bandino (Tufflove) and currently on sale online for $27.99 from 6pm.com.

I have horribly uncomfortable wide feet with a high arch. Sometimes I have gout, which causes one toe to swell (yes, I could follow doctor's orders and avoid everything I love, but I'd rather wear Birkenstocks than give up wine and shellfish). I also have plantar fasciitis (PF) so when it isn't one thing it is the other. I've tried dozens of pairs of shoes - I think Zappos must be getting tired of me ordering and returning shoes. I found a pair that will work if the gout isn't troubling me and that sort of work with the PF. I also have a pair of dressy flip flops that I call sandals that I can wear for a time at dinner, 2 pair of Birkenstocks - one traditional, one more sandal looking, and a pair of Clarks. If the gout is acting up it will be the traditional Birkenstocks. I've given up on looking well-shod.

So if you see someone in shoes that you wouldn't wear around the house, have a little sympathy, it might not be a lack of style but a desire to be able to walk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

There were no naysayers, just people trying to help and give info based upon the information in the first post and in particular the title. Nobody is trying to convince anyone to dress in a manner that they don't want to. Read the posts please

Very sensible approach.

It would be silly to suffer in pain just to be fashionable trying to impress other people.

We've been on two Celebrity cruises when the captain made requests that high heels NOT be worn, the seas were too rough and they didn't want injuries.

I'd be walking around barefoot if that happened on one of my sailings! Where were you sailing?

And they are so comfy!!!! They are Bandino (Tufflove) and currently on sale online for $27.99 from 6pm.com.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Thanks for posting the brand and style...Found them easily. Bandolino. Turns out they are too high ( slanted angle) for me. I have a nerve issue with my feet so I wear lower wedges, platforms or heels...Too bad they look really nice. Hope someone gets a good buy,

I suck it up and wear a pair of Louboutin stilettos (my go-to for fancy occasions), though by the end of the night I'm usually carrying them.

Rhinestones or not, I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere in flip flops, but that's just my personal preference and style.

SUCK IT UP?:eek:....wear stilettos? NOT.........some people have feet issues........I haven't worn a pair of stilettos in 30

years (IF ever).......there are plenty of dressy shoes/sandals in the marketplace that are not stilettos........:rolleyes:

SUCK IT UP?:eek:....wear stilettos? NOT.........some people have feet issues........I haven't worn a pair of stilettos in 30

years (IF ever).......there are plenty of dressy shoes/sandals in the marketplace that are not stilettos........:rolleyes:

Well, I don't have feet issues and I love stilettos for fancy occasions. 30 years ago, I was 12 :D

OP asked "What do people do?" I'm "people" and that's what I do. Why does that offend you so much?

I am not offended in the least....I guess I just can't see buying a pair of 6 inch heels that are so uncomfortable you have

"suck it up" to wear, makes no sense to me. And 30 years ago I was 29........:D

Enjoy your high heels........

I am not offended in the least....I guess I just can't see buying a pair of 6 inch heels that are so uncomfortable you have

"suck it up" to wear, makes no sense to me. And 30 years ago I was 29........:D

Maybe I'll give up my stilettos when I was 29, 30 years ago. In the meantime, I'll enjoy wearing those red-soled lovelies and will wear them for as long as I can. My husband sure isn't complaining!