Lunch off the ship?

Named-Tawny

Hey folks:

Was just wondering about the availability/propriety of taking a lunch off the ship?

We have some pretty long ports of call, and we'd love to be able to get some sandwiches or etc to take with us when we're walking around Junneau or Skagway. Is this a thing at all? Or do we pretty much have to either eat lunch on the ship, or buy lunch while we're out?

Thanks!

There will be probably a notice in the Freestyle Daily and signs when you go through security telling you not to bring any food or drinks on or off the ship. It doesn't matter that it's a US port, they don't want you carrying food on or off. In practice, commercially packaged snacks are actually OK (avoid meat and dairy products). There's not much that's readily available on the ship other than cereal boxes and crackers. The gift shop has candy and other snacks, or pack some from home.

Don't make your own sandwiches to take ashore.

Hey folks:

Was just wondering about the availability/propriety of taking a lunch off the ship?

We have some pretty long ports of call, and we'd love to be able to get some sandwiches or etc to take with us when we're walking around Junneau or Skagway. Is this a thing at all? Or do we pretty much have to either eat lunch on the ship, or buy lunch while we're out?

Thanks!

Either return to the ship, or buy your lunch.

I don't know about all ports/ships but it was a definite no on the cruises we took to make sandwiches

and then take them off the ship. Before I left home I packed some pre-packaged snacks in my luggage

specifically for this reason. This way if we disembark and don't feel comfortable or want to eat

off the ship we have some things to eat. Those crackers with cheese in the middle, granola bars, hard candy.

I also bring a bottle of water.

We experienced some long NCL excursions on our Panama Canal cruise a few years back. We didn’t have any snacks with us and were thrilled to get back to the ship for some food. Since then if it looks like an excursion is long we always take prepackaged snacks with us.

There will be plenty of places to eat on land...after all, folks LIVE there! You may NOT take anything but "prepackaged" things off the ship...like nabs, or granola bars, etc.

Haha! Nobody where I currently live knows what "nabs" are - smile - and I bet there are some folks here on CC who have never heard that term. I grew up in NC and I see you are from VA, so we are both from "nabs" country.

(For those who require a translation ;p, "Nabs" refers to those packages of cheese crackers that are made like little cracker sandwiches. We always called them "Nabs" because they were all made by Nabisco back in the day. It must have been a Southern thing!)

I haven't found a source on any ship for those kind of snacks, so I bring along a package of our personal favorites - the cream cheese & chives ones. We find them handy on planes and long car trips too.

Judy

Haha! Nobody where I currently live knows what "nabs" are - smile - and I bet there are some folks here on CC who have never heard that term. I grew up in NC and I see you are from VA, so we are both from "nabs" country.

(For those who require a translation ;p, "Nabs" refers to those packages of cheese crackers that are made like little cracker sandwiches. We always called them "Nabs" because they were all made by Nabisco back in the day. It must have been a Southern thing!)

I haven't found a source on any ship for those kind of snacks, so I bring along a package of our personal favorites - the cream cheese & chives ones. We find them handy on planes and long car trips too.

Judy

I think "Nabs" country might extend a little further north than you think. I was raised in Connecticut and always had Nabs available. So not really a southern thing unless you consider that I lived in southern Connecticut!!!:D

Hey folks:

Thanks!

Yup, either eat back on the ship, or in a local restaurant. There are strict rules against taking food off of the ship, unless it's prepackaged snacks.

Hey folks:

Thanks!

You may not take food off the ship.

Many ports now have dogs trained to sniff out food and it could be embarrassing to be stopped.

Not sure how much training these dogs have but my dog could fill in for them. Of course he'd eat the evidence. :')

Don

Well, you've been given the answer only about ten times, so not sure if it's sunk in yet...???:p

Yea - I know. Interesting how people will often continue to give the same answer, multiple times.

I guess that might be better that the person that makes a post to say "I don't know since we have not done that".

Yea - I know. Interesting how people will often continue to give the same answer, multiple times.

I guess that might be better that the person that makes a post to say "I don't know since we have not done that".

Yep, it happens so often. Post after post of the same answer. It's actually kind of entertaining. I figure it at least gets the point across. LOL.

Well, you've been given the answer only about ten times, so not sure if it's sunk in yet...???:p

I'm still a bit confused. So from reading the answers, it sounds like I should be okay to ask the kitchen to make me some sandwiches for my port days, but I'm not sure?

Does anybody else have any answers? ;) :'):confused:;p

I'm still a bit confused. So from reading the answers, it sounds like I should be okay to ask the kitchen to make me some sandwiches for my port days, but I'm not sure?

Indeed! LOL.

You do realize, some people will not hear the sarcasm in your post, right?

Thanks for telling us the question was answered many times, a very useful post.

Thanks for telling us the question was answered many times, a very useful post.

I'm actually the poster who pointed that out and you're welcome. :D

Every post doesn't have to be "useful" (I mean how usefulis it to receive the same answer 10 times?). Sometimes we can just have fun. ;)

Not everyone reads through the whole thread before replying. The see the question, know the answer and so reply. They're only trying to be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No. What others have meant are factory packaged foods are allowed, not anything that is open or perishable. Factory packaged food is typically packaged in nitrogen to kill pathogens (and maintain freshness), so it is safe to import into the various countries you will be visiting. Sandwiches wrapped in plastic wrap will not be allowed.