Breakfast options at Koningsdam?

Stoffel1982

We enjoy the MDR...as you are served. Not a fan of buffets at all, and juggling plates, and utensils...waiting in line, searching for syrup or butter, and then having your food cold by the time you find your condiments....not fun.

In the MDR, all the stuff you need is on the table! Lovely!

We either ate in the MDR or had room service on days when we had early excursions.

Agree with being waited on in MDR vice buffet. Room service always prompt. Also, room service was available on the last day which worked out great.

BUw1H9MlORK

Is MDR breakfast glacial slow? I've seen cases where due to room service orders going out the kitchen was preoccupied with orders set for a specific time slot. Both the last HAL cruise we took and all the RCCL ships. Seemed to be a common factor across the lines. We do enjoy a leisurely breakfast now and then but not on port days with early docking.

We were on a 14 day cruise. Had room service, I think, around 5 times. The other mornings we ate in the MDR. There was only one day that things seemed screwed up. Orders came out haphazardly that morning and we had to remind our server of a few missing items. So, it may have been part kitchen and part server issues. Otherwise, getting our food didn't take any longer than ordering at a regular restaurant.

Edited by Reagan0712
addl info

We're on the Koningsdam now, and occasionally breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill (perk of Neptune Suite). While the service is lovely, the food is only so-so. We actually prefer the 'small bites' in the Neptune Lounge, and think that HAL needs to up the cuisine.

OceanPatter, can you tell me what you mean by "small bites"? Sailing in a Neptune suite in November and if Pinnacle breakfast is the same as MDR, what's the attraction?

Thanks,

Sheila

We enjoy the MDR...as you are served. Not a fan of buffets at all, and juggling plates, and utensils...waiting in line, searching for syrup or butter, and then having your food cold by the time you find your condiments....not fun.

In the MDR, all the stuff you need is on the table! Lovely!

Just a bit of an exaggeration, to say the least. Buffet staff is more than willing to help you find things, carry stuff, whatever you need, and once you know where "stuff" is you don't have to search again. The dining room is very nice also, but the buffet is NOT the unpleasant experience some posters would lead you to believe.

Just off the Koningsdam. Don't believe all the horror stories you read about the Lido Market. Yes, it can be rather crowded at peak times so we choose to avoid those. Being an early bird helps as well. We often found seats for breakfast in the Canaletto section which is rather quiet. We quite like the Market idea where there are stations and your food is given to you ( as much as you like of course) and not sneezed at and picked at. We quite often change our breakfast ideas and choose a station that is not that crowded - why stand in a long line for an omelet if there are lots of other choices? We had bowls of fresh berries for breakfast every day for example. Another good choice is the Dutch café - no charge for the meal but for coffee ( they don't offer the regular coffee that is available in the Lido or in the MDR).

You ask about breakfast - but for lunch they started a new option this cruise a delicious light lunch ( twice in 2 weeks and so far complimentary) at the Culinary Arts Centre.

One more good thing we love about HAL: On disembarkation day you are not herded off the ship as fast as possible but can enjoy a leisurely breakfast in your room, at the Lido buffet, in the MDR... ( up to 8.30/ 9.00 o'clock which is fair)

Perfect!

Is room service free of charge?

Much of it is, but there are a few items on the various room service menus that cost. A lot of folks also tip the room service steward when their food is delivered.

• 5 months later...
Just off the Koningsdam. Don't believe all the horror stories you read about the Lido Market. Yes, it can be rather crowded at peak times so we choose to avoid those. Being an early bird helps as well. We often found seats for breakfast in the Canaletto section which is rather quiet. We quite like the Market idea where there are stations and your food is given to you ( as much as you like of course) and not sneezed at and picked at. We quite often change our breakfast ideas and choose a station that is not that crowded - why stand in a long line for an omelet if there are lots of other choices? We had bowls of fresh berries for breakfast every day for example. Another good choice is the Dutch café - no charge for the meal but for coffee ( they don't offer the regular coffee that is available in the Lido or in the MDR).

You ask about breakfast - but for lunch they started a new option this cruise a delicious light lunch ( twice in 2 weeks and so far complimentary) at the Culinary Arts Centre.

One more good thing we love about HAL: On disembarkation day you are not herded off the ship as fast as possible but can enjoy a leisurely breakfast in your room, at the Lido buffet, in the MDR... ( up to 8.30/ 9.00 o'clock which is fair)

Hi. Do you recall if the Grand Dutch Cafe is open early for their breakfast items? I see on the website it states it doesn't open until 1130 am. Would love to have an occasional breakfast there. Thx

Hi. Do you recall if the Grand Dutch Cafe is open early for their breakfast items? I see on the website it states it doesn't open until 1130 am. Would love to have an occasional breakfast there. Thx

11:30? That's odd. It was 7:30 on my sailing.

Hi there

Just wondering where we can enjoy breakfast on the ship? What are the best options?

Thanks for any suggestions!

When I was on Koningsdam in late summer 2017, I use the following options:

-Lido buffet restaurant during most port days

-Main dining room at the first day at sea

-Two times I used the complimentary room delivery service

You can also go to the New York Deli counter, there you can have some bagels. :)

We would go to the Lido and get a bowl of fresh berries and yogurt and carry it out to the NY Deli area, then get a breakfast bagel and coffee and juice from there. It was nice and quiet sitting out there, and if the weather was nice (we were on transatlantic cruises) they would have the roof open.

Just off the Koningsdam. Don't believe all the horror stories you read about the Lido Market. Yes, it can be rather crowded at peak times so we choose to avoid those. Being an early bird helps as well. We often found seats for breakfast in the Canaletto section which is rather quiet.

We always hit the lido on Koningsdam at peak breakfast times, but we still didn't have a problem. We preferred sitting by the lido pool near Dive In. There were always open tables, and there was a self serve table set up with coffee, water and OJ.

By the way, my favorite breakfast item was the crepes. They were only making them on port side. I had them made with bananas and nutella.

Perfect!

Is room service free of charge?

By the way, does HAL offer freshly squeezed orange juice?

Unfortunately, I don't think HAL offers freshly squeezed orange juice anymore. Definitely not in the Lido, and I didn't really think it was "freshly squeezed" when I ordered OJ in the MDR the last two times I cruised. It used to be the second highlight of my breakfasts (at least they still have all-you-can eat smoked salmon).

Though I haven't been on the Koningsdam, I concur that the Lido breakfast service isn't generally that bad, since the MDR can be a bit "leisurely" in terms of service. In my last cruise, my roommate was eating breakfast solo in the Lido and the Captain on the Eurodam joined him!