Traditional dinners able to use Anytime dining?

berlingo

As cruise lines move away from TD (some have completely eliminated, some reduced) a system like that is necessary to make sure different servers can be aware.

And we have always had that personalized service on every cruise line we have sailed on without the reliance of such technology. Something that doesn't need "fixing", IMHO.

It has nothing to do with class. If you as a TD diner choose to not use your assigned seat and don't tell anyone, there is a direct impact. Your seat goes to waste and your fellow diners are delayed, AND it increases the load on the AD areas which means people who signed up for AD may need to wait longer to be seated.

This is different from a pre-arranged change and approval, which is just fine as the effects are mitigated.

The proliferation of "class systems" now being rolled out on many cruise lines has apparently reached Princess. This "stay out of my dining room if you aren't booked here" attitude is akin to a class system. The concept that ATD diners should not be allowed in TD and TD diners should not be allowed in ATD certainly has a class system tone to it - "You stay where you belong. Don't even think of coming into my area". WOW! Sad to see people so wound up about such a trivial matter. :rolleyes:

The proliferation of "class systems" now being rolled out on many cruise lines has apparently reached Princess. This "stay out of my dining room if you aren't booked here" attitude is akin to a class system. The concept that ATD diners should not be allowed in TD and TD diners should not be allowed in ATD certainly has a class system tone to it - "You stay where you belong. Don't even think of coming into my area". WOW! Sad to see people so wound up about such a trivial matter. :rolleyes:

As said, this has nothing to do with class and certainly has no class system tones to me. It's more just "You already have your seat so can you please not take mine as well?" Think of someone using two loungers when they only need one and you have to wait for a lounger to come free - it's the exact same thing. And while I'm not worked up about it and I don't believe that all that many people go the ATD when they already have their requested preferred TD time but for those that do - yeah, I think it's wrong.

. Where did all the TD people go too. .

Maybe not enough people signed up for traditional dining, leaving those seats open.

I have been on several cruises where late seating traditional is lightly subscribed,

and complete sections of the dining room are closed (not even set up for dinner).

Presumably, those people are clogging the anytime line, rightfully so, as they

did not sign up for traditional.

Maybe not enough people signed up for traditional dining, leaving those seats open.

I have been on several cruises where late seating traditional is lightly subscribed,

and complete sections of the dining room are closed (not even set up for dinner).

Presumably, those people are clogging the anytime line, rightfully so, as they

did not sign up for traditional.

This was always within 30 minutes of the ATD opening for the evening. Late seating would not explain that. Do to various reasons we like to eat early.

Normally they check your card at the Anytime entrance when you check in. However did have one weird case last Panama cruise. We had Anytime reservations and dining room is used for 1st Seating, Anytime and Club Class. Had a guy in the reservation line who had 1st Seating but wanted to sit with other folks. So he got Anytime reservations. Plus he was in a suite, so they had a table reserved for him the whole evening in that area. Effectively he was tying up six seats in the dining room.

As cruise lines move away from TD (some have completely eliminated, some reduced) a system like that is necessary to make sure different servers can be aware.

I must be a real dinosaur. I still think that a server asking and me answering works quite well to get my preferences noted. That is the way it is handled in every restaurant I patronize on land. I never knew that this interaction between server and customer didn't work when out on the ocean. Imagine that!

Edited by SantaFeFan

That's easy for TD to say that but when TD decide to eat whenever, wherever they chose, it affects those who have chosen ATD because it creates much longer lines and longer waits for when they prefer to eat.

So you decide you don't want to eat at 5:30 p.m. and decide that you want to just show up at 7 p.m. in the ATD dining room. What if 20+ more of you TD decide to do the same thing. Let's say, show up at 7p.m. It's a very popular time for many people to eat. Add your 20+ people to the other ATD who show up at the same time. Do you not see where this then creates a much longer wait for everyone?

And then what happens to your table that now was reserved only for you in your traditional dining room? It goes empty when someone could have enjoyed your assigned time spot and YOUR table. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with "class system" and EVERYTHING to do with respecting others and the system that Princess and other cruise lines works with.

It's a simple fix for you. If you don't want a fixed dining time, then don't chose one when you book your cruise. There are fewer fixed dining options than there is for the anytime dining option. There are people who are put on a wait list to obtain that coveted fixed dining spot. Again, this was never a "class system" concern. I've never read anywhere that that was an issue.

.....It's a simple fix for you. If you don't want a fixed dining time, then don't chose one when you book your cruise. There are fewer fixed dining options than there is for the anytime dining option. There are people who are put on a wait list to obtain that coveted fixed dining spot. Again, this was never a "class system" concern. I've never read anywhere that that was an issue.

We always chose TD because we enjoy knowing we have a table waiting for us at the appropriate time. We enjoy talking every evening to new friends we meet at our table. And we like the interaction we have with the same servers for the duration of the cruise. We have never considered ATD, and won't upset anyone's wait time by going there instead, for any reason. We can dine at whatever time we want anytime we want at restaurants at home. On a cruise, we prefer to dine in a setting which to us feels more like an event that compliments the experience of cruising instead of just another meal away from home. So we will be staying in TD.

So, never fear. we won't be expanding your all important wait times by barging into your precious ATD restaurant. ;)

We chose TD because we enjoy knowing we have a table waiting for us at the appropriate time. We enjoy talking every evening to new friends we meet at our table. And we like the interaction we have with the same servers for the duration of the cruise. We have never considered ATD, and won't upset anyone's wait time by going there instead, for any reason. We can dine at whatever time we want anytime we want at restaurants at home. On a cruise, we prefer to dine in a setting which to us feels more like an event that compliments the experience of cruising instead of just another meal away from home. So we will be staying in TD.

So, never fear. we won't be expanding your all important wait times by barging into your precious ATD restaurant. ;)

I don't understand your hostile attitude regarding this. Posters are simply pointing out their reasonable objections about this issue. You are obviously not double dipping on seating times yourself so why the attacks? I understand you disagree but it's strange that you're unwilling to even try to logically understand the issue here.

I don't understand your hostile attitude regarding this. Posters are simply pointing out their reasonable objections about this issue. You are obviously not double dipping on seating times yourself so why the attacks? I understand you disagree but it's strange that you're unwilling to even try to logically understand the issue here.

It appears that you are the one who "doesn't understand". I am not hostile. I know what the "issue" is. I am only pointing out how over the top some people are over something that is actually quite insignificant. I just find it a bit unnerving how passionate some people are about this. So what if someone crashes the ATD dining room once in a while? Is this really that serious a problem to get so upset about - like you are with your reply? So your wait may be extended a couple of minutes. Is that going to spoil your cruise in any way at all? Is the world about to end because of what this person did?

It just isn't something to get so worked up about. That some people border on anger over this is mind boggling. It's just a cruise! Relax, have fun. Don't let what someone else does ruin it for you.

Oh, and one more thing. Please take a moment and learn what the emojies available for us to use mean. The one inserted at the end of my post is called "Wink". It implies something humorous. A tease. A joke. Try to let yourself chuckle once in a while instead of accusing people of being hostile and attacking when they are trying to include you in on a joke. :D (This one means "Big Grin". It is also for the sake of humor. Get it?)

Edited by SantaFeFan

It appears that you are the one who "doesn't understand". I am not hostile. I know what the "issue" is. I am only pointing out how over the top some people are over something that is actually quite insignificant. I just find it a bit unnerving how passionate some people are about this. So what if someone crashes the ATD dining room once in a while? Is this really that serious a problem to get so upset about - like you are with your reply? So your wait may be extended a couple of minutes. Is that going to spoil your cruise in any way at all? Is the world about to end because of what this person did?

It just isn't something to get so worked up about. That some people border on anger over this is mind boggling. It's just a cruise! Relax, have fun. Don't let what someone else does ruin it for you.

Oh, and one more thing. Please take a moment and learn what the emojies available for us to use mean. The one inserted at the end of my post is called "Wink". It implies something humorous. A tease. A joke. Try to let yourself chuckle once in a while instead of accusing people of being hostile and attacking when they are trying to include you in on a joke. :D (This one means "Big Grin". It is also for the sake of humor. Get it?)

Okay. I apologize if I misread you. I saw the emojie but even with it the remarks still came across as condescending sarcasm. I'm usually better at recognizing both tone and humour but I guess we can all miss on intent sometimes. Cheers.

It's a simple fix for you. If you don't want a fixed dining time, then don't chose one when you book your cruise.

People who are new to cruising probably have no idea about TD and AD. A Travel Agent might simply ask do you like to eat early or late and book TD based on that answer having never explained the AT option that could have been selected.

Okay. I apologize if I misread you. I saw the emojie but even with it the remarks still came across as condescending sarcasm. I'm usually better at recognizing both tone and humour but I guess we can all miss on intent sometimes. Cheers.

No problem and apology accepted. Sometimes my dry sense of humor may be too dry. I meant no disrespect. Just pondering why this bothered so many people. We all have our pet peeves. One of mine is people getting too worked up over minor details to the point it ruins their experiences, and sometimes mine.

Happy cruising - in whatever dining room your prefer. :halo:

No problem and apology accepted. Sometimes my dry sense of humor may be too dry. I meant no disrespect. Just pondering why this bothered so many people. We all have our pet peeves. One of mine is people getting too worked up over minor details to the point it ruins their experiences, and sometimes mine.

Happy cruising - in whatever dining room your prefer. :halo:

Thanks! No need to worry about me getting worked up on a cruise - it's my happy place. :)

People who are new to cruising probably have no idea about TD and AD. A Travel Agent might simply ask do you like to eat early or late and book TD based on that answer having never explained the AT option that could have been selected.

I totally agree and that is why I said, in an earlier response in this thread, that when (if) the head waiter checked the cards, he could then ask them to stand aside, and allow those who are already in line to enter the dining room. They then will be given the option to wait a little while, join a group at another table, or head on over to another dining venue. A pre-printed note can then be given to them so that they would better understand how the dining hours work and how they can change all further dining options with the head waiter the following day. I really believe a little thoughtfully offered education can save a lot of frustration.

Dining is just not that big a deal to my husband or myself. We could care less about having a waiter fuss over us. We feel that most waiters do a tremendous job regardless. It's no more than a huge catered event with mass produced food. We generally do ATD and always ask to share tables. We enjoy meeting a variety of people each evening. If there is a long line and either of us are quite peckish, we'll just go up to the buffet and eat light. Actually we found the Royal's buffet was more often than not, a better choice. I sure wish all the ships would work up to that standard.

A question or two for you Traditionalists.

If you are on a table for 8 by choice and there are only 4 or 6 present at the appointed time how long do they wait till they serve you? What do they do if someone who is missing arrives a little after that time?

If you have prepaid your gratuities do you Traditional diners still feel it necessary (is it expected) to tip again at the end of the cruise as you have had the same staff all the time? If so, what is the last night non-attendance like?

We didn't tip extra, $13.90 per person per day is quite sufficient.

On our table of 8, all were present on the last night. There is no need not to be there:

a) if tips have been pre paid.

b) if your gratuities have been taken daily from your bill.

There was no discussion about tips what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are on a table for 8 by choice and there are only 4 or 6 present at the appointed time how long do they wait till they serve you? What do they do if someone who is missing arrives a little after that time?

In the days when we used to do TD if someone wasn't there within 10 minutes of opening time I'd ask the waiter for a menu & begin to order. Of course it didn't help that much since the waiter would only only keep the courses together as soon as the people arrived. Very aggravating to say the least.:mad:

We since moved on to AT dining & never looked back.

.....If you are on a table for 8 by choice and there are only 4 or 6 present at the appointed time how long do they wait till they serve you? What do they do if someone who is missing arrives a little after that time?

In most cases, people have informed us and/or the server that they would be dining elsewhere the next evening (that is what we do). Only in rare cases has someone not shown up without notifying us in advance. In those infrequent cases, the server will begin serving soon after a small waiting period, perhaps 10 minutes. Meantime, we will have gotten our drinks to enjoy while conversing with the others at the table. This has never inconvenience us as we are there to relax, and a few extra minutes is not a burden in any way.

If you have prepaid your gratuities do you Traditional diners still feel it necessary (is it expected) to tip again at the end of the cruise as you have had the same staff all the time? If so, what is the last night non-attendance like?

We typically pre-pay our gratuities unless we have sufficient OBC to cover them. In some case, but not all, we felt the serving staff took better than expected care of us and we have given them extra on the last day. I would say this is about 50% of the time. It is NOT expected that people tip extra. The set gratuities is enough for average service. Above average is what gets rewarded with an additional tip.

As for last night attendance, I haven't noticed any difference, although I haven't specifically watched for any differences.

In my experience the server will take drink orders, hand out the menus and wait 5 minutes or so before taking food orders. I've never had anyone be seriously late, just 5 or 10 minutes and it wasn't a problem. The servers are good about getting everyone back on track.

As for tipping, yes, if I think they are good I will tip extra at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We didn't tip extra, $13.90 per person per day is quite sufficient.

There was no discussion about tips what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have never discussed tipping with my table mates. If I feel they deserve it, and they usually do, I just do it.

In my experience the server will take drink orders, hand out the menus and wait 5 minutes or so before taking food orders. I've never had anyone be seriously late, just 5 or 10 minutes and it wasn't a problem. The servers are good about getting everyone back on track.

As for tipping, yes, if I think they are good I will tip extra at the end of the cruise.

That does become a problem if those that arrive on time want to get to the show lounge to see a show. We've had people be consistently 15 minutes late each night during a cruise and when told what time dinner starts still didn't think it was a problem to them. The waiter does take orders & start serving but eventually the table slows down to let the latecomers catch up.

That does become a problem if those that arrive on time want to get to the show lounge to see a show. We've had people be consistently 15 minutes late each night during a cruise and when told what time dinner starts still didn't think it was a problem to them. The waiter does take orders & start serving but eventually the table slows down to let the latecomers catch up.

I agree 15 min is too long to wait. I would be constantly reminding them that I have to get to a show.