Traditional dinners able to use Anytime dining?

berlingo

[/size][/b]

...and hopefully the medallion will have an alarm beeper, even if this does cause some embarrassment.

What difference a Medallion will make is unknown but if it's anything like today they still let those people eat in the AT dining room. Just just notify them that it's not their assigned DR & then seat them.

They should be accommodated in the order they got in line. That is the only fair way to handle this.

As I posted previously, they may not have been assigned their first choice when booking.

Only fair way? Fair to who? An ATD passenger that now has to wait for a seat to clear? I would be more accepting if other dining venues were not available (Buffet, Pool deck, Inter. etc) but one has other multiple choices that are available.

One thing I don't quite get is that if a person has no plans to eat in TD, why Princess doesn't have a process to be notified of such and then fill in those now open seats with those that may be waiting in ATD.

Only fair way? Fair to who? An ATD passenger that now has to wait for a seat to clear? I would be more accepting if other dining venues were not available (Buffet, Pool deck, Inter. etc) but one has other multiple choices that are available.

One thing I don't quite get is that if a person has no plans to eat in TD, why Princess doesn't have a process to be notified of such and then fill in those now open seats with those that may be waiting in ATD.

They do have a process to cancel out or TD but no process to fill the empty seats. All they have to do is let the Head Waiter know they will not be eating in that dining room for the rest of the cruise and let their table mates know also. As to filling these seats later there is nothing so they remain empty.

There is a process. If you make arrangements with the MD/Headwaiter in advance and they know those seats will be empty, they may fill them with AD diners waiting at that seating time. The real issue is with people who don't bother to prearrange.

A secondary/smaller issue is that since TD operates on fixed times, those empty seats are only available to people wanting to eat at those times. Once service has been started, any empty seats will necessarily remain that way until the next seating...

They do have a process to cancel out or TD but no process to fill the empty seats. All they have to do is let the Head Waiter know they will not be eating in that dining room for the rest of the cruise and let their table mates know also. As to filling these seats later there is nothing so they remain empty.

Precisely which means the TD diner now ties up two table seatings. One in TD that is left empty and one in the AT dining room, if they go there, where they are eating that could be used by someone that selected AT that is waiting for a table.

I can tell you that Royal Caribbean won't let TD eat at ATD. We were sharing a table with another couple in our group. They told us they were going to go to specialty dining the next evening. We had a single gentleman in our group who had been eating alone at a table for two in TD. So we asked the maitre 'd if he could join us the next night as the other couple would not be coming and they had personally told the maitre 'd they would not be there.. No way, Jose. Not even a $10 bill could get him to change his mind. Neither would they let us join our friend in TD as they didn't have a "larger" table available or so they said.

Whilst doing some research for our forthcoming Mediterranean cruise on the Crown I have come across a number of posts which refer to Traditional dinners also using Anytime dining.

I was quite shocked to hear this. I thought I could remember having my cruise card checked on entering the dining room or being asked for my cabin number. However I wonder whether I am getting confused with our P &O cruises.

Could anyone say if this still happens?

Also if it does surely it contributes to the queues for an Anytime table?

Many thanks

I've had Anytime dinning on Princess and I don't recall ever being carded. However, I wish they would (normally I book Traditional dinning).

Technically, Princess allows Traditional diners to go to the Anytime dining. As one Hotel Manager said to me, "They will be accommodated." There are times when for medical or port tour reasons people need to eat earlier or later than their assigned time. The vast majority of Traditional diners don't go to Anytime but they can if they want.

I prefer to go to the buffet rather than going to Anytime. But it's a personal choice.

We were late enough after our Panama Canal shore ex that we thought it would be rude to show up at our assigned table, so we ate in Horizon Court. I don't mind eating breakfast there, but didn't really enjoy my dinner. I would never have gone to Anytime thus making people that belonged there wait longer for a table. Can't have it both ways without affecting other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But they do enforce the dress code on formal nights although it might not be up to what some cruisers would prefer to see.

Not all people like to dress up in a suit & tie or long gown.

The dress code does not include shirts, tank tops or flip flops, but people wearing them are allowed in the dining room on Princess and on RCCL. So I would have to disagree with you.

The dress code does not include shirts, tank tops or flip flops, but people wearing them are allowed in the dining room on Princess and on RCCL. So I would have to disagree with you.

You are correct. Princess does not allow just any old shirt or tank tops or shorts on formal nights

but

they do allow "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks". It seems to be left to your interpenetration as to what is the bare minimum. The tie has gone by the wast-side on most ships on any night. The jacket is also optional since many guys just hang it on the chair for decoration anyway.

I will say I have seen many ships allowing shorts on casual evenings, although they do say that shorts are not appropriate some people feel they can wear them.

Refer to my post regarding those cruisers who were not given their choice of dining times. That may help you understand the fairness comment.

Assigning people in the order they get in line is the only fair way to handle the seating.

Since the cruise line employees decide who gets seated, these discussions are pointless.

I've had Anytime dinning on Princess and I don't recall ever being carded. However, I wish they would (normally I book Traditional dinning).

They always look at your cruise card the first evening even if they do not look at it any other night. This is true at both AT and TD dining rooms.

Refer to my post regarding those cruisers who were not given their choice of dining times. That may help you understand the fairness comment.

Assigning people in the order they get in line is the only fair way to handle the seating.

Since the cruise line employees decide who gets seated, these discussions are pointless.

Exactly. Why should any passenger have to wait with a beeper because others called in for reservations? I'm ready to be seated when I arrive so there should be no reason for me to wait.

If taking reservations is such a great way of doing business then they should extend it to the tender operations also. Call for reservations & leave when you arrive. ;);)

-----

If taking reservations is such a great way of doing business then they should extend it to the tender operations also. Call for reservations & leave when you arrive. ;);)

Tender operations are on a first come first served basis, you have go to the appropriate advertised place to collect your tender ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Tender operations are on a first come first served basis, you have go to the appropriate advertised place to collect your tender ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just as it should be in the dining room. Reservations just slow down the process for everyone other than the people making the reservations.

When your hungry, go to the dining room door and be seated.

First come first served basis only.

Edited by floridalover5623

• 2 weeks later...
Not to be rude, but I don't think princess cares if you have a problem or not.

Their goal is to make their customers happy.

If someone presents themselves at the anytime dining room, princess will try to accomodate them and make them happy.

This isn't the DMV where they are looking to make your visit as unpleasant as possible.

Although, it sounds like that is how many posters would like cruises to be run.

Nice try.

If TD diners don't infiltrate my ATD chosen turf, I won't infiltrate theirs. You can't have it both ways. It's called manners. There is a buffet and other options. Why should I wait to accommodate you? Why should anyone? You signed up for your assigned seating, and if you did not upon request and/or got it from booking too late. . . too bad. That's your lot in cruise paid life.

Although, I do agree that the Princess buffets are now akin to going to DMV.

Just as it should be in the dining room. Reservations just slow down the process for everyone other than the people making the reservations.

When your hungry, go to the dining room door and be seated.

First come first served basis only.

I mean no offense, but I do disagree. DH and I have always cancelled the 3 or 4 times over the many years whether (due to illness) over the phone (if the Dining Line was still available) or in person (even just before the reservation time) because we did not want to inconvenience anyone.

We have just got off the Caribbean Princess and it was near impossible to get a table for two in AT at the time we usually want to start eating, 5.30-6.00. The only way we could get seated during that period was if we were wiling to share.

Service was terrible, one evening it took 1Hr 50Min to complete a meal, other evenings were nearly as bad. On major cause was that a waiter now has to act as wine waiter too. With sharing couples arriving separately and ordering drinks when they arrived the first 20 minutes was lost while the waiter went to get drinks. Then as people finished their drink and wanted another it was again a wait while he got them.

Another idiotic situation was that butter had to be held, on ice, till we had sat down and then the waiter had to fetch it!! Butter is meant to be spread not flaked like parmesan cheese!!

Service was terrible, one evening it took 1Hr 50Min to complete a meal, other evenings were nearly as bad.

That's about parr for the course in MDR as well and we weren't being served drinks on our table for 8. I put it down to being on a large table.

I was also told that Princess never have had Somelliers ( unlike Celebrity) so no change there.

When I spoke with the Maître d' he said that they had not had them for about 5 years. When I was last on NCL, Dec 17, they still had them and service was far better. There also seemed to be far more wait staff on NCL.

[/size][/b]

...and hopefully the medallion will have an alarm beeper, even if this does cause some embarrassment.

Won't this disturb the nearby hyper-sensitive?

But seriously. Princess is in the business of pleasing people.

Often this is done by bending the rules.

Indeed, but there are polite ways of behaving so that you do not inconvenience others. If you have made a choice, keep to it so others can keep to their choice too without your alteration of your choice impinging on them.

But in many cases it is not a choice, but people being assigned to TD as AD fills up and is more popular.

With other lines moving from traditional MD rooms to models of variety of reservation based restaurants, Italian , Noodle, Bistro, Tapas, etc, Long term MD rooms will go away to specialty dining, both free and fee ,

Nice try.

If TD diners don't infiltrate my ATD chosen turf, I won't infiltrate theirs. You can't have it both ways. It's called manners. There is a buffet and other options. Why should I wait to accommodate you? Why should anyone? You signed up for your assigned seating, and if you did not upon request and/or got it from booking too late. . . too bad. That's your lot in cruise paid life.

Although, I do agree that the Princess buffets are now akin to going to DMV.

Are you saying that if a person requests TD and doesn't make the cut they should eat in the buffet every night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We usually share a table in anytime dining and 9 times out of 10 have people assigned to TD are at the table. Most sign up for TD knowing they can come to AT whenever they don't want to go to TD. Thinking about doing this next time we cruise as formal night can be a real pain in AT. Doesn't matter to me if the folks on CC get all upset as I only use CC "rules" when the cruise line rules don't work for me and the CC rules do -- other than that we use "our rules" as so many others do.

I mean no offense, but I do disagree. DH and I have always cancelled the 3 or 4 times over the many years whether (due to illness) over the phone (if the Dining Line was still available) or in person (even just before the reservation time) because we did not want to inconvenience anyone.

I suppose you just don't see that when they hold a table for you it slows down the whole process. It's not that you cancel you reservations when you didn't plane to show but the table they hold at 6:16 PM can't be used at all prior to your arrival. If a reservation made for that late a time, there are people standing at the door which could have already been seated.

You've taken a table out of service for 45 minutes that could have been used. :(

Even though people are allowed to do it, it doesn't make much sense when all it does to slow down the whole dining process.

The only fair way to assign seats is when your hungry, go to the dining room door and be seated.