Anyone Else Noticing Than Princess Pricing is Higher Than Celebrity?

mnocket

I hope your assessment of Princess food is accurate, since my next cruise is on Crown Princess. But I do notice that every one of your posts has been in the Princess forum. Have you ever sailed on Celebrity?

Our daughter lives in kilcolle in wicklow county.

long cruiser

If they ever bring the Majestic over to the US I'd sail it without question over the Crown.

Not that the Crown is terrible but the newer class ships are just that much better.;)

Sorry, mate, but you can't have her! If she's not in China she's ours. ;p

9ac267a056077550d7a181621a69f821.jpg

Majestic leaving Livorno, 20.05.17 taken from Crown.

BTW the only problem that I found with the food on our Crown cruise was the attempts at British Pub food - soggy fish batter and burnt Yorkshire puddings.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't either but I bet the meatloaf on Princess was better than the over salted gray steak I was served on Celebrity.

The meatloaf served by Princess on the last night of every cruse is worse than a frozen TV-dinner, IMHO. Their turkey dinner is another frozen TV-dinner equivalent. I've learned to order room service on the final night, much better.

FWIW the anytime selections use to be the savior but recently have been replace with junk food.

framer

I was trying to fit a Celebrity T/A into my cruise plans for next year. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it happen due to a variety of reasons. When I was pricing suites, I found prices on X to be quite a bit higher for somewhat similar itineraries on Princess.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

BTW the only problem that I found with the food on our Crown cruise was the attempts at British Pub food - soggy fish batter and burnt Yorkshire puddings.

Very nice picture. Thanks for sharing.....:):):)

Bob

I was trying to fit a Celebrity T/A into my cruise plans for next year. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it happen due to a variety of reasons. When I was pricing suites, I found prices on X to be quite a bit higher for somewhat similar itineraries on Princess.....

Bob

You can't just blindly compare the price on a suite between Princess and Celebrity. You're not just purchasing real estate. Celebrity includes so many extras for their suites, it's not really a fair comparison. Drink Packages, specialty dining, Michaels club, Its own restaurant.

You can't just blindly compare the price on a suite between Princess and Celebrity. You're not just purchasing real estate. Celebrity includes so many extras for their suites, it's not really a fair comparison. Drink Packages, specialty dining, Michaels club, Its own restaurant.

So you're assuming I'm blindly comparing.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bob

I agree, we are elite on Princess and Celebrity... when we cruise X we skip the MDR, food hit an miss on X, they are not as responsive to off menu requests either. Will give X a full on the buffet... but I have not been on the Royal or Regal yet... may change my mind after cruising on the Royal in October.

Agree. food and service on Princess much better than Celebrity...

So you said on the first page.

Wow. This thread sounds more like a Red Sox vs. Yankees thread on ESPN! LOL

For the cruises I've done with X, their food is simply better in many regards, especially in the Specialties. Princess MDR food was right up there for years, but has declined terribly in the past few years. Crown Grill on the last three cruises has been terrible. I just said on another thread how bad the steaks were and even the staff was embarrassed, told us to stay away from certain cuts, but even the ones we did get were poor. Lobster, if you can even call it that, salty mushy crap. Someone else said Outback was far better.. sadly, I had to agree. I'm just not sure what Princess has been doing, even is just the last two years. Is Jan Swartz on some kind of total cost cutting campaign? Been a few years since my last X, but many friends stick with X and have said it's been just fine. The buffet on Royal class is really the best I've seen so far for buffets. Crazy number of options, many well prepared, and most of the meat carving options have been quite good, and prime rib on sailaway night has been excellent each time. I rarely do the MDR anymore. I think all the mass market lines are degrading in that venue, but the big dissapointment for me with regard to Princess is the poor specialty food too. Crab Shack was awful last cruise, with nothing "special" about it. Save your $29! With Horizon Court being the one possible exception (Royal class only), X is indeed miles ahead. I'll give Princess one other little gem on the Royal class ships though... Alfredo's. It's free, and it's terrific! It wouldn't surprise me to see Jan throw a fee on that one too! Hope not.

Probably because Princess serves edible food whereas Celebrity does not

I will agree that our past Celeb. trip(Jan. On the Eclipse) was not up to standard, but as a whole it's pretty good. Our Regal trip DID have very good food overall. Exception was the specialty rest. The steaks on the Eclipse ARE FAR superior to CG/Sabatini's. Next Jan. we've decided to kick it up a notch & booked a 10 trip on Oceania's Riviera. We've see if the food is as superior as they like to brag in their ads.."The best food at sea". I'd like to see them top our Queens Grill trip on the QM2 some years back.

Sorry, mate, but you can't have her! If she's not in China she's ours. ;p

They've got another Royal class ship in construction right now. Not sure who's getting it. US west coast could certainly use a "new" ship, instead of the hand me downs they get.

I don't know about Princess being more than Celebrity, as we are loyal to Princess now. I do know our 2018 and 2019 cruises have gone up huge. We do a suite for 34 to 35 days and it has gone up an additional $8K+ for the same room. We just had the conversation we don't know how long we can cruise. All we do is the one time vacation and save through the year...no movies no going out to eat, etc. We got the suite one time and now feel we have to have it or not go. I asked on another post if people noticed the increase. Going for 35 days at a time you really notice the increase.

I think a lot is based on itinerary as well as the amount of competition at the time. I've seen the prices higher & lower for both. Just the luck of the draw.

Princess is cheaper than Oceania/Viking/Regent/Crystal/Silversea though. ;)

Oceania is higher, but not by a ridiculous amount. Viking/Crystal/Regent are much higher overall. I'm going by standard cabins & not suites.

They've got another Royal class ship in construction right now. Not sure who's getting it. US west coast could certainly use a "new" ship, instead of the hand me downs they get.

How about the Northeast Coast.? We don't have anything year round or even just for Spring/ Summer. I have no interest in Canada/ New England in the fall. I would be happy with a hand me down even if it's the limping Caribbean Princess. I'm not a fan of the Royal Class ships and am more than happy that the west coast and OZ get them. The only reason I'm booked on the Regal Princess is because it leaves from NY and is headed south to Ft Lauderdale. I imagine it will be packed with snowbirds. It's a nice way to reposition yourself back to Florida for the winter.

Maybe that's why when I had it (a few times) I though it was terrible. Some day I might give it another shot on another ship.

I'll give Princess one other little gem on the Royal class ships though... Alfredo's. It's free, and it's terrific! It wouldn't surprise me to see Jan throw a fee on that one too! Hope not.

They did try that on the inaugural cruise of one of the Royal class.

I think it was a $10 fee but it did include a glass of wine whether you wanted one or not.

Lasted about three days until the fee was rescinded.

Oceania is higher, but not by a ridiculous amount. Viking/Crystal/Regent are much higher overall. I'm going by standard cabins & not suites.

You will be delighted (hopefully) with the standard of food and the variety of restaurant's on board. Yes they are a bit more expensive but it shows in the quality of food . Downside for us is that it was lacking atmosphere after 10.00 as it seemed everyone went to bed early.

Scotslizzy