The Three Things I Think Royal Caribbean Should Consider For Their Fleet

These are three things that I have been thinking for awhile that Royal Caribbean should put on their ships. Now these are just my opinion and it could be debated whether these would be paid or free experiences, but I just thought I would throw them out there.

1) Virtual Reality Experience. When you're stuck on a ship for sea days, or sometimes even many sea days, you want to find things to do that are out of the ordinary. Virtual Reality Companies like The VOID (https://www.thevoid.com/) have incredible virtual reality experiences that would be perfect for cruise ships. They only require a small stage and the actual experience is mind blowing! If anyone were to adopt these types of experiences, I would think it would be Royal Caribbean, since they are always looking for the next innovative thing to put on their ships.

2) Snow Cones. How nice would it be to relax on the pool deck with your kids and let them have a snow cone to cool off. My kids LOVE "snowies" as they call them, and I think just about most kids do. This would be a pretty cool addition to the ships.

3) Big Lazy River. I know a select few of the ships have a miniature "lazy river" in the kids play area, but think about if they had a lazy river that went around the whole ship! Yes, you would likely need more lifeguards, but how fun is the lazy river, just sitting on a tube or hanging out in the water with your kids being pushed along, and the cool views that you would get as you go. I think this would be pretty cool, even just for a select few ships that are big time family ships, maybe.

I have quite a few more ideas, but I just wanted to share these few and see what people think.

Do you have some ideas as to what you would like to see on there ships? Please feel free to share!

Good ideas. #1 could be a money maker for Royal, especially if they can use a venue that is normally empty during the day- multi-purposing

#2- if they make an alcoholic version it could increase drink sales. Slushie type of drinks are super popular, especially when its hot. Plus I imagine that snow cones are super cheap.

#3- love the lazy river. Not sure about the logistics. If they added a bar that might increase some revenue, if nothing else due to the novelty and captive audience. I could see spending the day in the lazy river

I would also like to see self service laundry like some other posters mentioned . I have used them on Disney and Carnival. Its not super cheap so its not like they are going to lose that much money. And there are some people that are not going to pay for the wash and fold service but would do self service, even though the price is high compared to Laundromat, just to come home with clean clothes.

Cove balconies like the ones Carnival has - Close to the water and sheltered. Much better than OV rooms.

Redo the aft on deck 6 of Voyager and Freedom class. It is a waste of prime space.

Add another set of elevators and stairs to Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class (need 2 separate sets), somewhere toward the aft. Right now it's a very very very long trek if I get an aft facing balcony on these ships.

I wish Royal would barbecue burgers and hotdogs by the pool the way Celebrity does. They are much better than the awful burgers Royal has in the windjammer. It also relieves crowding in the buffet on sea days .

This! +1000

How about waterskiing off the back of the ship. A couple of lifeboats can be used to pick up people who fall. They can probably get $500 a person for that excursion.

Haha, you know Bob, you might be onto something there! Although I think Parasailing off the back of the ship is probably a little bit easier (and I emphasis just a little bit!) to imagine and I bet people would definitely pay for that!

How about waterskiing off the back of the ship. A couple of lifeboats can be used to pick up people who fall. They can probably get $500 a person for that excursion.

Sign me up! Or how about tubing for the kids, that would be a thrill ride like no other...

Speaking of kids, I'd like a dedicated tweens space added similar to what they have on DCL. And I imagine my kids would too, they loved the Edge on the Fantasy.

Haha, you know Bob, you might be onto something there! Although I think Parasailing off the back of the ship is probably a little bit easier (and I emphasis just a little bit!) to imagine and I bet people would definitely pay for that!

At one time, they considered some sort of small blimp off the back of Oasis. I get the impression that Fain has a thing about seeing the ship from above. Anyhow, that blimp broke off during the sea trials, and I expect the corporate lawyers had a collective heart attack. I suspect that idea morphed into the Northstar.

One thing I would like Royal Caribbean to do is offer an Internet rate priced by MB instead of a daily rate. I like to stay connected but I hate paying those high per day prices (even with my Diamond Plus discount it is still expensive on 14+ day cruises) for a connection that doesn't work half the time. Maybe add a $5 per 100 MB price offering. I am lucky to get that much connectivity over a week. I know it isn't going to happen, but since we are doing wishlists... :D

One thing I would like Royal Caribbean to do is offer an Internet rate priced by MB instead of a daily rate. I like to stay connected but I hate paying those high per day prices (even with my Diamond Plus discount it is still expensive on 14+ day cruises) for a connection that is doesn't work half the time. Maybe add a $5 per 100 MB price offering. I am lucky to get that much connectivity over a week. I know it isn't going to happen, but since we are doing wishlists... :D

When we were on the Oasis last year, we had no trouble in the caribbean with the ships internet. We were able to stream music from Rhapsody, stream movies from Netflix and Amazon prime, watch two hockey games, and use FaceTime a lot.

When we were on the Oasis last year, we had no trouble in the caribbean with the ships internet. We were able to stream music from Rhapsody, stream movies from Netflix and Amazon prime, watch two hockey games, and use FaceTime a lot.

Oasis (and maybe Quantum) class ships in the Caribbean are the exception. We did a 7 day in April on Liberty of the Seas and the connection didn't work a great deal of the time and when it did, it was slow; we had the streaming package too.

I have a screenshot of a speedtest I did when it *was* working in this post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52978603#post52978603

I think Parasailing off the back of the ship is probably a little bit easier (and I emphasis just a little bit!) to imagine and I bet people would definitely pay for that!

And just like they do in the Spa, offer discounts on port days!!!

I suspect that Royal is risk averse to the swim-up bar thing. There is a reason that you do not see swim-up bars in the CONUS. Liability insurance. The whole "pee" thing is a real turn-off but the real reason is too many stupid drunks with an easy means of drowning themselves. I love a good swim-up bar but I doubt we will ever see them on a ship or in the US (I've seen them in Puerto Rico but never in the CONUS).

They need a signature dessert, like BJs Brewhouse's "Pazookie," which is cookie dough baked in a single serving cast iron skillet...topped with vanilla bean ice cream, and drizzled with topping. I know it's just my opinion, but desserts on RC suck...which is actually good for me, because I can do without & not be upset. 🤣

And the Cupcake places are wasted space. Put those cupcakes in the Cafe Promenade and be done w/it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish Royal would barbecue burgers and hotdogs by the pool the way Celebrity does. They are much better than the awful burgers Royal has in the windjammer. It also relieves crowding in the buffet on sea days .

This is number 4 on my list, if I were to have put a longer list on here. I really enjoyed when we took our kids on Disney's Dream a few years back and we were able to get pizza, hot dogs, burgers, chicken baskets, fries, etc all on the pool deck. I know the Windjammer is just right there, but it's not the same. Easy access to that type of food is really appealing to me too, I agree!

I suspect that Royal is risk averse to the swim-up bar thing. There is a reason that you do not see swim-up bars in the CONUS. Liability insurance. The whole "pee" thing is a real turn-off but the real reason is too many stupid drunks with an easy means of drowning themselves. I love a good swim-up bar but I doubt we will ever see them on a ship or in the US (I've seen them in Puerto Rico but never in the CONUS).

Top swim up bars in US

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/american-swim-up-bars-aqua-hilton-oceanic-four-seasons-harrahs-hard-rock

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I actually have seen that. I believe it was on Regent, it was not for the guests but one of the staff tried and was successful after a few attempts. It was kind of strange, maybe unique sight to see.,

I think RCCL has them at Labadee, we also go to Sandals and they have them, nice change from cruise, no tipping no extra charge for specialty restaurants and drinks are included and of course no children

Those are 3 terrific ideas. RCI is quite innovative, so maybe your suggestions will spark an idea.

I judge all ships that I cruise on -based on what RCI has done with their ships. (Royal is superb on entertainment, too.) The Celebrity Edge is being built and it will have a rooftop garden (reminds me of Central Park), plus they are going to have a Magic Carpet (reminds me of the Rising Tide Bar) which will move on the OUTSIDE of the ship and go from the rooftop garden to Deck 2. RCI is far ahead of other cruise lines. They just need to find NEW ports in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

You know you just have to ask them at the counter and they will get it for you right? (Even if it is not out on display).

We did. They said it was available in MDR, not in buffet.

I like 2 of your 3. Not really interested in the VR, but to each his own.

My 3: Bring back skeet shooting. Yes I am aware of the liability, but it's a wish list. Coffee maker and/or Sleep Number Beds in all cabins. Escape Room Experience.

On the lazy river, lazy is my first name. If NCL can put a go cart track on a ship, why not a lazy river, unless having 2 million gallons 140 feet above the water line causes any issues.

Disney doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

aquaduck-water-slide-00.jpg

Straighten out that course and stitch it together at the start/finish, and you've got a lazy river... :D