Perhaps, it's obivious but WHY won't they install a Keruig coffee maker in a room?

Then again, perhaps it is a new revenue stream, the revenue just defying all the risk and expense of maintaining and offering the service.

14 capsules for $40. Now we have some view of that cost plus margin: Almost $3 a cup.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Then again, perhaps it is a new revenue stream, the revenue just defying all the risk and expense of maintaining and offering the service.

14 capsules for $40. Now we have some view of that cost plus margin: Almost $3 a cup.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

But how many people would actually use it if it were offered? If there is a coffee machine in the cabin I might use it to make my first cup of the day depending upon what time I wake up, but if they charged for it there would be no chance at all that I'd buy it (especially if they offered free coffee through room service). I do know that there are people that would, I just doubt that the number would justify the investment.

But how many people would actually use it if it were offered?
Time will tell, but if Harmony of the Seas (where apparently it is being offered as of this week) finds this deal is picked up by enough passengers, then it probably will not only spread across the line but other cruise lines will follow.

As with many things, either it is worth it for both sides, based on each side's own determination of worth, or it will not be offered.

Time will tell, but if Harmony of the Seas (where apparently it is being offered as of this week) finds this deal is picked up by enough passengers, then it probably will not only spread across the line but other cruise lines will follow.

As with many things, either it is worth it for both sides, based on each side's own determination of worth, or it will not be offered.

The proof is in the pudding, I am glad someone is testing it out. As long as it doesn't cost me any extra I don't mind cruise line's offering things for sale since that's how they stay in business.

I'd think cruise lines might go with one of the commercial models of single serve coffee maker or espresso. They use different pods or capsules then the home machines. Reduce theft if the ship is giving away cofeee. Ship wants to charge. Commercial pods will reduce freeloaders who bring their own pods

As a couple of posters have pointed out, NCL has coffee machines in regular cabins, not just suites. At least on Getaway and Escape.

I was not aware that NCL having coffee makers in cabins was unusual for cruise lines.

I'm pretty sure they provide them in the suites on NCL as a perk. But to have them in every room would not be cost effective due to how expensive the pods are. Not to mention the sheer amount of waste those things produce once empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was not aware that NCL having coffee makers in cabins was unusual for cruise lines.

NCL provided a coffee maker in our balcony cabin similar to the types used in hotels, sealed round filter, single serving. The provide Lavazza coffee makers in their suites.

I'd think cruise lines might go with one of the commercial models of single serve coffee maker or espresso. They use different pods or capsules then the home machines. Reduce theft if the ship is giving away cofeee. Ship wants to charge. Commercial pods will reduce freeloaders who bring their own pods

Are you sure of this? I've never heard of specific commercial K-cup pods being any different. Certainly at the hotels I've worked at and offered K-cups, they have been no different in composition from the retail K-cups. At my present hotel, they buy the K-cups in major bulk; they work fine in any Keurig. How do I know? The Front Desk decided to buy our own K-cup machine when our regular coffee maker died. We bought it at Walmart. We are allowed to use the K-cups bought for the guests. Our Keurig is still working just fine and no one has had any problems with the hotel-bought K-cups.

You may be thinking of some of the Nepresso or the special in-suite maker I heard HAL has/is installed. It uses another proprietary pod format from the K-cup. They are available retail, but not as widespread in the general population.

Lookingforfacts was referring to "commercial models of single serve coffee maker or espresso". The experiment on Harmony of the Seas are allegedly Illy Espresso machines.

:evilsmile:

Lookingforfacts was referring to "commercial models of single serve coffee maker or espresso". The experiment on Harmony of the Seas are allegedly Illy Espresso machines.

Exactly. Many if the car dealers and medical offices have switched to a system which uses what appears to be small plastic envelope, not the best description. Motivation to steal pods is reduced since they won't fit in a consumer unit. K cups are K cups. Steal a pod and you can use it in any K unit.

I only saw reference to pods and capsules, all available for both retail and commercial. The little packets are not pods nor capsules. That's what I took from it. Every in-room coffee maker I've seen uses either the K cup format or Nepresso format. Even the Illy machines at The St. Regis Bahia Beach were Nepresso-format capsules.

So, there are many different types and formats...

I only saw reference to pods and capsules, all available for both retail and commercial. The little packets are not pods nor capsules. That's what I took from it. Every in-room coffee maker I've seen uses either the K cup format or Nepresso format. Even the Illy machines at The St. Regis Bahia Beach were Nepresso-format capsules.

The more variety the less incentive there is for theft of anyone format, and that is especially the case when you're using one of the less popular formats. Also do keep in mind that the K-Cups specifically are the ones most reviled by environmentalists.

So, there are many different types and formats...

The illy machines use iperEspresso capsules, a proprietary format not compatible with Nespresso. I've never stayed at St. Regis Bahia. I guess it's possible they were able to get a custom machine but I doubt it.

The illy machines use iperEspresso capsules, a proprietary format not compatible with Nespresso.
Thanks for that clarification. It makes my earlier point even more significant.

Thanks for that clarification. It makes my earlier point even more significant.

My boo boo. It was Illy K cups, not pods. So, it was a Illy-branded K cup machine at Bahia Beach. I went back and looked at my old photos.

Illy also makes single-serve "cloth" pods. So, they have 3 "delivery systems" for their coffee.

At least 4, you forgot old fashioned ground beans in a can.

I can't figure out how to add one of those smile things, or at least figure out what is what.

For the old K cup machine at work, I did have a reusable K cup. I'd just fill with my own coffee. I had to buy special ground coffee, though, as my machine at home takes the whole beans and grinds it right into the filter basket - nothing like fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee (especially when I use Fiji water...)

Back on topic: lines have many reasons NOT to install Keurig machines:

Up front cost initially, followed by reduced revenue at on-board coffee bars -- gourmets would simply bring their own favorite blends.

Additional maintenance item for already overworked cabin stewards.

One more thing for passengers to complain about -lack of, or poor quality of pods.

Lines have no obvious upside and plenty of downside.

For the old K cup machine at work, I did have a reusable K cup. I'd just fill with my own coffee. I had to buy special ground coffee, though, as my machine at home takes the whole beans and grinds it right into the filter basket - nothing like fresh ground, fresh brewed coffee (especially when I use Fiji water...)

Good point. Even if the cruise lines install Keurig / Nesspresso / illy / De' Longhi machines in the cabins they will never supply proper water in order to brew a decent cup of coffee.

I WILL NOT BREW MY OWN COFFEE WITHOUT FIJI WATER!:mad:

But of course, if I have the drinks package a little shot of Baileys might make the swill palatable.:D