Perhaps, it's obivious but WHY won't they install a Keruig coffee maker in a room?

Very simple....cost. The entire Keruig model is extremely expensive when compared to the raw product cost in other methods of service. Plus, not all people like the Keruig type platform. I would just rather order a pot from room service.

If there was one I probably wouldn't use it.

"Breeding Environment for Germs: Warm and moist environments are breeding grounds for germs. NSF’s analysis shows sponges and coffee reservoirs, which may not be cleaned as frequently as they should be, were in the top 10 germiest places in the home."

-- https://www.nsf.org/newsroom_pdf/2011_NSF_Household_Germ_Study_exec-summary.pdf

You think the cabin stewards are descaling and sanitizing those coffee makers in the rooms? I don't. At least the CDC gets to inspect the ones in the galleys and beverage bars. I bet the in-room machines sit for months/years with nary a rinse, much less a good deep-cleaning.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In addition to the cost factors already mentioned, there is the cost of additional units for those removed from service for inspection and testing. All of the appliances provided by the cruise lines on their ships are taken out of service and inspected and tested regularly. This runs into hundreds of manhours to collect the units, test them and then return them to the cabin.

This is why they may provide one, but not allow you to bring your own. Remember in the 80's when Mr. Coffee almost went out of business from lawsuits over house fires caused by their coffee makers, where the "auto-off" thermostatic switch failed? I do. These switches continue to fail to this day, and that is the reason they consider these to be fire hazards even without "flame". The Pride of Aloha put coffee makers in every cabin for a while, and during testing, we had one go up in flames in the electricians' shop, so they decided to remove most of them (suites kept them, I think).

As far as hair care appliances vs. clothes steamers, if they thought they could get away with banning the dryers and curlers/flat irons, they would. Steamers are more optional, so they ban those.

In addition to the cost factors already mentioned, there is the cost of additional units for those removed from service for inspection and testing. All of the appliances provided by the cruise lines on their ships are taken out of service and inspected and tested regularly. This runs into hundreds of manhours to collect the units, test them and then return them to the cabin.

This is why they may provide one, but not allow you to bring your own. Remember in the 80's when Mr. Coffee almost went out of business from lawsuits over house fires caused by their coffee makers, where the "auto-off" thermostatic switch failed? I do. These switches continue to fail to this day, and that is the reason they consider these to be fire hazards even without "flame". The Pride of Aloha put coffee makers in every cabin for a while, and during testing, we had one go up in flames in the electricians' shop, so they decided to remove most of them (suites kept them, I think).

As far as hair care appliances vs. clothes steamers, if they thought they could get away with banning the dryers and curlers/flat irons, they would. Steamers are more optional, so they ban those.

I clearly remember the Mr. Coffee caused fires. A girl friend of mine and her family came close to losing their home from such a fire.

Yes they do!!!! :D

Original, Decafe and Dark Roast.

But for now you lowly Americans will have to come up here and smuggle caseloads back across the border. But as long as you're here you might as well load up on some other Canada only foods; Ketchup chips, Coffee Crisp bars, Crush Cream Soda, Kraft Dinner and the Kinder Surprises WITH the toy inside! :D

I am perfectly okay with that. consider it a birthday present. actually heard a vicious rumor that Kinder Eggs were being considered to be no longer evil and thus allowed to be exported.( actually don't like them, I prefer real Cadbury)

BTW, I've seen and used K-cups that have a mesh sack rather than a plastic cup. Don't recall the brand. The only plastic is the "rim" at the top. Supposedly more environmentally friendly.

i get mine from Intelligent Blends. recyclable but the grounds are loose once you rip off the top. I THINK the ones you are talking about came from Bed Bath and Beyond, I do remember using them once and really liked them.

I don;t mind the loose grounds, as I dump them in a larger container then add them to my garden

BTW, I've seen and used K-cups that have a mesh sack rather than a plastic cup. Don't recall the brand. The only plastic is the "rim" at the top. Supposedly more environmentally friendly.

Rogers d/b/a San Francisco Bay.

However they do not stay fresh unless you keep them in an airtight container. One of the great advantages of K-cups is that they are extremely convenient and they stay fresh without any special storage.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I won't use a coffee maker in any hotel or ship - no idea last time it was properly cleaned and what can grow in the standing water is nasty. The only way they could make money is to sell a "pod" package" and then we could have long threads on pod smugglers.

There are Keurig machines at my current hotel. Some people are just not able to comprehend how the machine works :confused: and I have to send up an Engineer to demonstrate. But, the machines do mess up occasionally. Sometimes, the machine doesn't poke a hole big enough in that K-cup and, while it tries to heat up the water and push it through, it "explodes" and coffee grounds go flying all over the place - had one do this last week. Also, we stopped giving out Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa K-cups - found that they tended to clog up the nozzle, screwing up the machine.

My previous hotel used to have Keurig in the suites. They switched to the Nepresso system. Thought it was a more "luxury" system than the "everyman" Keurig. But, guests didn't like the limited choices of Italian-style coffee that were the only type of capsules available.

The trash from all those "K cups" is too much...same thing with bottled water...creates so much unnecessary garbage!

At least the water bottles can be recycled and there are alternatives to the K cups that are more environmental friendly (such as the reusable ones that we use).

I've stayed in many hotels with Keruigs and used them almost never.

The room service and breakfast coffee is fine by me. I'd rather not have a big coffee maker wasting space on the counter.

I was in the "waiting room" at a car repair shop. Another lady was there also. They had the K-cups on the counter and I watched her put many of them in her purse....

Yes. People steal Splenda for the same reason - expensive to buy, easy to steal. :(

In addition K-Cups are frequent targets of criticism from environmentalists.

Agree completely.

Why would I want a coffee brewing machine cluttering up my cabin. DH only drinks espresso coffee, so would want a small espresso machine, and I prefer tea in the mornings so would want an electric jug to boil water for my tea, and both of those would take up too much space.

Sailed one time in a suite...it was on NCL Dawn a few years ago...we had a "Lavassa" espresso machine that used proprietary capsules for coffee...it worked pretty good....

Pod/capsule espresso machines are very popular these days. I've had the Nespresso ones in hotels and they have been reasonable although Nespresso is not a brand of coffee I would normally choose. Better than nothing though ;).

We had a Lavazza coffee machine in our suite on the " so called" budget all-inclusive Spanish/French Pullmantur/CDF ship Horizon last November. However, "steerage passengers" are also well looked after, as all Lavazza specialty coffees are free at every bar on the ship.

Change the question. What's the best way to offer in cabin coffee. Best means lowest cost and least amount of waste. Environmental impact. Keurig isn't a solution.

Now assume a cruise line sees the need for an in cabin coffee maker in suites. An amenity they feel is needed. The answer would be a machine like Nespresso or lavvazza. Again not Keurig.

Simple answer: It's the cost of installing a thousand or more Keruig coffee makers on each ship. It's not just the cost of the coffee maker, it's the time taken to install each one, provide coffee each day, etc. That will easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars per ship.

And what return does the cruise line get? Financially, a negative return as the passengers will expect the coffee pods to be replaced "for free" - and they aren't cheap.

So maybe that can be provided on a six-star cruise line... but certainly not on a mainstream cruise line.

VP

We have a Keurig and like it. But, by placing one in every room, what flavor or brand of coffee would have to be included with it? With so many choices, it would be impossible to please everyone. But perhaps a "mini-bar" charge might be made for each pod used, allowing a variety to be available.

Still, I would think that they would not last very long before they were broken by someone unfamiliar with how to load and use the machine. These aren't as durable as a simple coffee pot is.

We have a Keurig and like it. But, by placing one in every room, what flavor or brand of coffee would have to be included with it? With so many choices, it would be impossible to please everyone. But perhaps a "mini-bar" charge might be made for each pod used, allowing a variety to be available.

Based on the mini-bar mark-ups and with a wholesale cost of $.25 to $.50 per pod the cruise lines could charge $5 - $10 per cuppa to the caffeine addicts amongst us. ;)

Dear Mr./Ms. Cruise Line President,

My idea is patent pending and I am willing to accept a 10% Royalty on each and every pod you sell because on my brilliant money making idea. I'll take care of SantaFeFan out of my end.

Regards,

D. Dawg