Royal testing to bring back same drink package for all

If it's really about 'sharing', then I'll say again, they wouldn't be testing anything. They would have immediately made policy change and began the process of implementatio

n.

But here is the deal.....it has been "tested/implemented" in January of 2012. There's nothing to "test" they have the results.....the only difference is this is their "smart ship" which I've been told all dry dockings are implementing the smart ship technology...

Late into this thread, so please correct me if I am incorrect in my understand what is RCL considering, thank you. This may impact my assessment below.

I assume RCL is considering a "forced purchase" of beverage package in order to purchase another.product, the cruise itself. If this is correct, then this is a most fascinating anti-consumer action which has both government consumer protection elements.and legal impact.

The "tied selling" of products is against the law in many jurisdictions.

Our household will not purchase any beverage package on any cruise line as the products are of no interest to us.

Thoughts?

Other than MASSIVE tax advantages and MASSIVE regulations U.S has imposed there are other reasons these ships are registered "Bahamas". Many legal. They do go out of their way to make people happy, but I also know MANY that have been refused bookings due to complaining! Try and sue em......but again I believe if you are on one on the 7 sailings and call and say " I want a package but my wife has an infected toe and can't" you won't have to buy two.

Other than MASSIVE tax advantages and MASSIVE regulations U.S has imposed there are other reasons these ships are registered "Bahamas". Many legal. They do go out of their way to make people happy, but I also know MANY that have been refused bookings due to complaining! Try and sue em......but again I believe if you are on one on the 7 sailings and call and say " I want a package but my wife has an infected toe and can't" you won't have to buy two.

I think you missed the point of what they were asking about.

I guess I am pretty late to the party but, on my last cruise wirh RCI I debated this very thing and I decided to pay as I went. I was a bit younger than and now, at age 56, I do not drink as much and I know l will not drink enough to pay for the delouxe package. I am a beer drinker and by my arithmetic, I would need to drink 9-10 beers per day to make my money back. I keep in mind that I will be spending far less time onboard on port days as well so, no package for me. I did fine paying as I went last time.

• 4 weeks later...

It doesn't make any sense if you count how many people are in the cruise and how many Deluxe Beverage Package they sold.... My wife doesn't drink any alcohol and she would like her soda package, but with this decision for RC, that they will charge us 2 Deluxe Beverage Package when we'll use only one plus the Soda Package, we have to pay to much money. So there will not be another alternative to pay our drinks a la carte on board :(

It doesn't make any sense if you count how many people are in the cruise and how many Deluxe Beverage Package they sold.... My wife doesn't drink any alcohol and she would like her soda package, but with this decision for RC, that they will charge us 2 Deluxe Beverage Package when we'll use only one plus the Soda Package, we have to pay to much money. So there will not be another alternative to pay our drinks a la carte on board :(

That's incorrect. You absolutely can buy drink a la carte. BUT (If you are sailing on Harmony during the trail period) if you insist on having a package then your wife must also have one. A better decision is for neither to have a package and only buy a la carte.

That's incorrect. You absolutely can buy drink a la carte. BUT (If you are sailing on Harmony during the trail period) if you insist on having a package then your wife must also have one. A better decision is for neither to have a package and only buy a la carte.

Yes I'm sailing on Harmony in this "Test Period" and off course you can buy a la carte all the time. It's our first time in a RC and when we bought the tickets we thought that it was possible to buy 1 Deluxe Beverage Package for me (because I drink some beer's and cocktails) and 1 Soda Package for my wife, since she doesn't drink any alcohol. That is now imposible. It means I'll buy the soda package for my wife and some alcoholic drinks a la carte for me, but without spending more the cost of the Deluxe Beverage Package :( That is why I say that this decision doesn't make any sense !!:rolleyes:

This would be some serious buzzkill (pun intended). I drink like a fish and my wife is sloppy after an inch of wine.

No way we're buying two packages. The unlimited drinks is one of the fun things about cruising.

Well, many times when you call RCI to ask a question their answer is equally in touch with reality.

There's an easy fix, use a good travel agency and let them deal with it. You might even benefit financially through lower prices and perks such as prepaid gratuities, obc, and free spa visits or specialty dining. For us, it's normally in the 12% - 15% range. If you get lucky and they have a group rate for your cruise, that could jump up to 20%.

Have we figured out if this is JUST for harmony as of now? I cruise in Feb and would very much like a drink package, but my husband doesn't drink like that. Maybe a glass of wine at dinner and he'll just bring his 2 bottles on. I'll be VERY upset as I planned this over a year ago. If they are going to change this rule, it needs to be said clearly BEFORE we book. It is the reason I didn't go with NCL.

Have we figured out if this is JUST for harmony as of now? I cruise in Feb and would very much like a drink package, but my husband doesn't drink like that. Maybe a glass of wine at dinner and he'll just bring his 2 bottles on. I'll be VERY upset as I planned this over a year ago. If they are going to change this rule, it needs to be said clearly BEFORE we book. It is the reason I didn't go with NCL.
It is just for Harmony now. My suggestion is to book it now for one person. During the test run they said that they would honour all previously purchased packages before the rule change. I suspect if/when this policy goes fleet-wide they'd do the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've been wondering for a while now, is it better to buy the package before hand, or on ship the 1st day? which has a better price (then again if there's a chance they'd implement this, I would prob just buy now) and do you arrange it through your TA, or just do it on the website?

I've been wondering for a while now, is it better to buy the package before hand, or on ship the 1st day? which has a better price (then again if there's a chance they'd implement this, I would prob just buy now) and do you arrange it through your TA, or just do it on the website?

I've rarely seen prices on the ship cheaper than what is offered through the cruise planner

You can purchase it yourself on the website through your cruise planner.

From an official source:

On July 7th, Royal Caribbean will be running a pilot program to test a change to the purchase of the Deluxe Beverage Package and Sip + Stream combo.

This pilot program will be for eight Harmony of the Seas sailings starting September 30, 2017 through November 18, 2017. Please see the specific dates below:

9/30/2017

10/7/2017

10/14/2017

10/21/2017

11/4/2017

11/11/2017

11/18/2017

Royal Caribbean’s Deluxe Beverage Package gives a guest nearly unlimited refreshment options at one set price; cocktails, beer, wine by the glass, soda, juice, and more. Since introducing the package, we have noted an increase in the amount of beverages that are being shared between those who have purchased the package and those who have not. Since the package price is intended to cover consumption by a single guest, we are revising our purchase policy and bringing it in line with industry standards.

As of July 7th, any guest cruising on select Harmony of the Seas sailings who wishes to purchase the Deluxe Beverage Package or Sip + Stream combo must do so along with all other guests 21 years of age or older who are booked in the same stateroom.

That's not good. Hy husband would use the package. I don't drink at all.

On our Harmony sailing i May it was 46 per day for drink and 54 for vroom and unlimited combo. 378 if I remember correct! The 71 per day on board seems to be banging in my head for drink pkg on ship.

There have also been reports of requiring all in the room to buy the package if you wait until you are on the ship. You buy it from RCI's website in the cruise planner section.

There have also been reports of requiring all in the room to buy the package if you wait until you are on the ship. You buy it from RCI's website in the cruise planner section.

When they implemented this fleet wide in 2012 Jan they never enforced it on the ship....you have to remember ALL bartenders split ALL tips collected! Every pkg sold is 18% more plus there are incentives call it a buck a day for every pkg sold. They'll try to push it but in long run they'll sell you just one!

I was not there, but there was somebody on Allure that was not allowed to buy for one on the ship, they had to buy for all. I have no idea how much they pushed, just passing info along. My suggestion to anybody thinking they just want it for one person, would be to buy now, as that should be grandfathered in even if they change the rule.

I just don't see the point... If you REALLY do the math on the drink packages, vs just drinking -- you have to drink your FACE OFF in order to get the value out of the drink packages.... Some days you are off the ship, and it doesn't help as much those days.

I just pay as I go.. I've never gone over