Pulling out of Falmouth

BND

I replied to a post on the ports of call, but here's a story from Jamaica. While, not entirely clear since it says three cruiselines and then says Allure, Celebrity and one from Royal Caribbean it's an interesting story and I couldn't find anything else on it.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20170707/major-cruiselines-pull-out-falmouth-port-financial-fallout-expected

I have long been under the impression that RCI made most of the investment in developing to port of Falmouth.

That was our understanding too. We've been there 3 or 4 times and have only done one excursion. We didn't feel the comfort we have in other ports. We're scheduled to go back on Oasis in Oct but only had plans to purchase coffee and spend time on the ship. I just don't know what port they could substitute for the Oasis class.

Article seems to indicate 3 ships have changed itineraries away from Falmouth. Not like entire cruise lines are leaving and shutting down the port.

Article is completely unclear. It says "three cruiselines". It also says Allure of the Seas, Celebrity and one from Royal Caribbean, so where do you get three ships?

Liberty of the Seas has been stopping there at least the last 2 years. And yes, RCI is a major investor in the port/terminal/shopping area. We picked up a brochure about it last year. It isn't much of a stop, we got off the ship and walked around less than an hour this year.

A little Googling finds discussions of a planned additional dredging project at Falmouth that is raising concerns among the locals about the impact that has to the water features nearby.

It's specifically to allow TWO of the "world's largest cruise ships" to be in port at the same time. Maybe they're diverting around this?

Also mentioned ongoing work at Montego Bay and Ocho Rios piers.

Jamaica was never a draw for me. I don't get off the ship anymore. I'm anxious to

see what port they will substitute it with as my wedding cruise coming up that was

supposed to go to Falmouth. I think this is good news.

Article is completely unclear. It says "three cruiselines". It also says Allure of the Seas, Celebrity and one from Royal Caribbean, so where do you get three ships?

It does say that the three ships combined total around 10,000 guests per week, which made me think it was only 3 ships and not 3 cruise lines.

Last year when we stopped at Fallmouth DW and I were leaving the compound and saw the folks that were hanging around outside the gate and decided to return back to the ship, to scary for us.

I've booked a cruise that is scheduled for Falmouth but haven't figured out anything to do. May stay on the ship.

We had a great time in Falmoputh on our Allure cruise last December. We went to Royalton white sands all inclusive resort for the day. It was about 15-20 minutes from the pier.

Bill

That was our understanding too. We've been there 3 or 4 times and have only done one excursion. We didn't feel the comfort we have in other ports. We're scheduled to go back on Oasis in Oct but only had plans to purchase coffee and spend time on the ship. I just don't know what port they could substitute for the Oasis class.

Falmouth cruiseport was sold to the locals as providing all kinds of outlets for local crafts and so on whereas in reality it's a favoured few who get to sell within its walls, the rest going short as cruisers either whizz past on excursions or don't leave the restricted area.

We've been there a few times, one excursion stopped in town at a church being renovated, it was fine, locals friendly and some telling about the history. Also stopped by a cameo maker place, very nice. We then were dropped in Montego Bay for a while. Again, no harassment that a simple 'no thanks' didn't stop. Went in some stores etc. We ended up at the downtown Margaritaville for a very loud (mostly) liquid lunch:D

Last year when we stopped at Fallmouth DW and I were leaving the compound and saw the folks that were hanging around outside the gate and decided to return back to the ship, to scary for us.

What was so scary about them? Was it just the fact that they were congregating in large groups? Were they leering at you, following people around? Or did it just make you uncomfortable to be around people who actually lived there and weren't tourists?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jamaica is a major international tourist destination. People flock there to the beautiful beaches and resorts.

It seems to be only cruise ship passengers who find it "scary".

I find that sad.

Really, how about guards with 357 magnums guarding their respective strip mall enterprises. Sure, major tourist destinations, but how many leave their hotel/resorts compounds.

Really, how about guards with 357 magnums guarding their respective strip mall enterprises. Sure, major tourist destinations, but how many leave their hotel/resorts compounds.

pffft

So go spend the day at a resort or beach instead of a strip mall.

I have walked around Falmouth BY MYSELF <gasp> and never felt unsafe. The people were nothing but kind and friendly.