Pulling out of Falmouth

BND

It does say that the three ships combined total around 10,000 guests per week, which made me think it was only 3 ships and not 3 cruise lines.

That's part of my point about the disparity in the statement. If they are truly pulling out due to the issues stated, why bother to only pull three ships? More than three ships go there. I do find it interesting that the mayor would make the announcement in a newspaper article and there's been no comment by RCI or Celebrity.

I am one of the few I suppose that enjoyed the port area at Falmouth. Got some beautiful wood parrot and dog carvings a few years ago. Went on one of the best zip line excursions I ever experienced. But there was a guard with us the entire time. He was with the group but not doing anything and I finally asked him why he wasn't participating. I guess he had a weapon but I never saw one.

Someone asked on the RCL FB page but so far RCL has not responded

I saw that. RCI responded to other questions since that one was posted, but no answer to the Falmouth one.

The one excursion we did to a beach, we had two armed guards on the bus with us and two more at the beach. They were mostly off duty police. One stood at each end of the beach to keep locals away and one stood on the beach with his back to the ocean watching behind us. The other stayed with the bus. Now, I'm sure most of it had to do with keeping us from being harassed, but they obviously thought there was good reason. There are a lot of reports of people feeling unsafe leaving the gated area on foot. And, anyone who chose to do so and felt "comfortable", that's your personal feeling and you can't downplay what someone else felt. Police will tell you to trust your instinct and if an area doesn't feel safe to you, leave it.

Really, how about guards with 357 magnums guarding their respective strip mall enterprises. Sure, major tourist destinations, but how many leave their hotel/resorts compounds.

That would worry me too. A 40 caliber auto would be more efficient.

We love Jamaica :p

Beginning in May 2018, the Allure will no longer stop at Falmouth. It's Western Caribbean itinerary changes and will include Roatan , Costa Maya, and Cozumel. A much better itinerary IMHO. Itineraries through April 2019 for Allure have no stop at Falmouth.

That is about 6000 less visitors every 2 weeks.

Last April, we were there on the Oasis, along with Celebrity Reflection. For the winter 2017-2018, the Reflection is not calling at Falmouth. Neither are Eclipse, Equinox or Silhouette. When Edge comes out, in December 2018, she will not go to Falmouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw that. RCI responded to other questions since that one was posted, but no answer to the Falmouth one.

The one excursion we did to a beach, we had two armed guards on the bus with us and two more at the beach. They were mostly off duty police. One stood at each end of the beach to keep locals away and one stood on the beach with his back to the ocean watching behind us. The other stayed with the bus. Now, I'm sure most of it had to do with keeping us from being harassed, but they obviously thought there was good reason. There are a lot of reports of people feeling unsafe leaving the gated area on foot. And, anyone who chose to do so and felt "comfortable", that's your personal feeling and you can't downplay what someone else felt. Police will tell you to trust your instinct and if an area doesn't feel safe to you, leave it.

They also did not respond when asked if the C and A call center was moving to Guatemala- They have selective answering:)

Beginning in May 2018, the Allure will no longer stop at Falmouth. It's Western Caribbean itinerary changes and will include Roatan , Costa Maya, and Cozumel. A much better itinerary IMHO. Itineraries through April 2019 for Allure have no stop at Falmouth.

Last April, we were there on the Oasis, along with Celebrity Reflection. For the winter 2017-2018, the Reflection is not calling at Falmouth. Neither are Eclipse, Equinox or Silhouette. When Edge comes out, in December 2018, she will not go to Falmouth.

Also Symphony of the Seas will not stop in Falmouth when she debuts in the Caribbean in the winter 2018-2019 .

So it's not as if Royal is pulling out its just that as new Oasis class ships are added they are not bringing the additional sailings into Jamaica but instead offering a wider variety of itineraries. Sounds like a start move to me.

Article is completely unclear. It says "three cruiselines". It also says Allure of the Seas, Celebrity and one from Royal Caribbean, so where do you get three ships?

Agree article is very poorly written and unclear. That's why I said "seems to indicate" because I tried to make some sense of the double-speak referencing both Allure and RCI as though separate entities. They mentioned passenger counts which supported the 3 ship rather than 3 cruise line angle. More of a political article attacking the current leaders than anything, and we all know real live facts are not important in politics.

For years there were 2 Oasis class ships calling on Falmouth, now Allure is skipping it, but Harmony is stopping there, so really just a change of ships as far as Oasis class is concerned

Beginning in May 2018, the Allure will no longer stop at Falmouth. It's Western Caribbean itinerary changes and will include Roatan , Costa Maya, and Cozumel. A much better itinerary IMHO.

I agree a much better itinerary I really do not care for Falmouth or Grand Cayman and Roatan has ecxellent zip lines.

My wife and I did a great little walking food tour around Falmouth last October with a small group of 6 or so. Most people seemed scared to walk outside the "compound" but I would definitely do it alone next time. There's a cop on almost every street corner and some really interesting culture and history to learn about. Normal street smarts apply, don't be stupid or drink too many red stripes in some of the nice little bars tucked away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are going on Oasis in September and would love to be notified the stop in Falmouth is being changed. We've been there three times and do not care for it that much. If it is not changed we will just stick to our original plan of not getting off the ship.

So it's not as if Royal is pulling out its just that as new Oasis class ships are added they are not bringing the additional sailings into Jamaica but instead offering a wider variety of itineraries. Sounds like a start move to me.

I guess the Allure is technically pulling out because she stops there now . Celebrity also appears to be cutting back on Falmouth stops.

mac_tlc

DW and I have had two cruise itineraries that stopped in Jamaica, 1 in Montego Bay and I Falmouth. We were a little skeptical when we first booked because of all the bad reviews that we had read however, we found both ports no different than most post we had visited. We have always been polite to the vendors both in the cruise terminal/area and just outside the port and have not experienced any issues, with the exception of Labadee Haiti, RCCL's private stop. The outside vendors would step in front of you and attempt to intimidate you to buy something. So disgusting that we turned right around and went back to the beach. Both trips, Montego Bay and Falmouth, we arranged for a day at Rose Hall Resort, which by the way, we highly recommend. We have it booked again in November 2017. I am very interested in any response by RCCL, Celebrity and or any other cruise line thinking of pulling out of Falmouth and or Jamaica as a whole as we have trips planned for Nov 2017, Jan and Oct 2018.

Our October 22, 2017 cruise on Allure is still scheduled to stop in Falmouth. It would be nice to know ASAP if they are changing the port of call. I was going to be scheduling a scuba dive and reserving a day pass at an all-inclusive resort for my wife and son while I dive. Don't want to put any money down on any of this if they are changing the stop but I'm thinking it wont happen that fast

Article seems to indicate 3 ships have changed itineraries away from Falmouth. Not like entire cruise lines are leaving and shutting down the port.

Ok Does anyone know what will replace Falmouth Jamaica. I will be scheduled to cruise on Allure of the Seas in a couple months. I just read this, cruise co has not informed me of an itinerary change. Does anyone know if this has gone into effect as of July? Where will they go instead? I will be happy anyway:)

Our October 22, 2017 cruise on Allure is still scheduled to stop in Falmouth. It would be nice to know ASAP if they are changing the port of call. I was going to be scheduling a scuba dive and reserving a day pass at an all-inclusive resort for my wife and son while I dive. Don't want to put any money down on any of this if they are changing the stop but I'm thinking it won't happen that fast

I am also wondering .Also i will be sailing on the Allure in a month and i would like to know if the itinerary has changed and where we will be going ??

I don't care for Jamaica, although we had a great time rafting there (except one of the tour guides tried to get my daughter and her friend to sneak off and smoke some marijuana - I found that out later). But every time I have been to Jamaica people followed me around trying to get me to buy their stuff. Of course, that totally turns me off. They need to realize that tactic backfires. On my Sept. 3 Oasis cruise, I may get off the ship but will just stay in the port area. I absolutely cannot stand the hard sell by anyone. I would be delighted if another port was substituted.

Jamaica is a major international tourist destination. People flock there to the beautiful beaches and resorts.

It seems to be only cruise ship passengers who find it "scary".

I find that sad.

Many years ago on a land-based vacation to Montego Bay, some of our traveling companions were held up at gunpoint by the hired help at the guest house where we were staying. More recently, a crew member from the ship told us how aggressive the locals were towards him when he went into Falmouth to pick up some supplies. I am not so dismissive of people's concerns about Jamaica based on my own, although limited, experiences.

pffft

So go spend the day at a resort or beach instead of a strip mall.

I have walked around Falmouth BY MYSELF <gasp> and never felt unsafe. The people were nothing but kind and friendly.

I agree with you.

We have been there too and did not feel unsafe at all. Yes they are pushy and keep bugging you to buy or even look at somethings, but I look at it as roadside entertainment! ;)

Edited by Arzeena