Pulling out of Falmouth

BND

Some of the local crafts in Labadee are truly local esp the paintings, netal artwork, etc.

Falmouth has a shop that sold beautuful locally made Jamaican clothing...high end, soft white cotton..lovely.

both have junk like all ports but always nice to find worthwhile locally made items

We loved Martinique...one of our best recent port visits. .We no longer get off in Mexico...been there done that,

Obviously I didn't mean ALL crafts. Sure some are local but most can be found at every port of call. Only the name of the island changes. I wonder if China ever messes up the shipping and send the Jamaica container to Labadee?;)

Edited by Ocean Boy

The island is beautiful but you will not return based in the poverty level and living conditions? Poverty is not contagious and you don't have to live in those conditions. I don't get it. The way I see it while I visit, and enjoy, this beautiful place maybe my tourist dollars will help someone living in poverty and appalling living conditions have just a little bit better life.

As stated, just my point of view. I find Jamaica to be a depressing and undesirable place. So why would I want to return if I have other choices?

Jamaica was never a draw for me. I don't get off the ship anymore. I'm anxious to

see what port they will substitute it with as my wedding cruise coming up that was

supposed to go to Falmouth. I think this is good news.

We never liked Jamaica either until we started to go to the all inclusive beaches (not booked through RCCL) for the day. Now we actually look forward to going to Falmouth!

We are booked on Christmas Cruise on Harmony and I am not sure what my plan is on the Falmouth day, I am considering spending it on the ship. We did a beach day on the last Christmas holiday cruise that landed at Falmouth was just OK, not as great as Nachi Cocum. The seating ran out and we had to sit on the sand. No loungers, etc. after paying excursion prices. I think if we have a great time at Mr Sanchos or Nachi Cocum and then Labadee, we will be ok on the ship. We have done Dunns River Falls and Mo Bay before (and experienced the hard sell from the vendors ;). I don't see a private beach day that really appeals at the right price at Falmouth.

Try an all inclusive for the day through shore excursioneer or resort for a day. They are more affordable and the all inclusives are so much...adult only ones or family ones.

Well I for one am not planning to visit Syria anytime in the foreseeable future. But Hawaii is nice! :)

I will not go to Chicago. Anybody compared their murder rate to " all these ports that are suppose to be so bad"

As stated, just my point of view. I find Jamaica to be a depressing and undesirable place. So why would I want to return if I have other choices?

We have been to different islands and found most of them to have a lot of similarities. Some awesome beaches, some very nice, expensive houses, some nice shops, but they all have areas of poverty. Driving through Ste. Marteen seeing run down houses, chickens running around in the yards, broken down cars. But I heard many years ago that about 5% of the people have 95% of the wealth in these islands so it stands to reason that you will see some sights that are not so pleasant. I would go back to these islands any day.

I will not go to Chicago. Anybody compared their murder rate to " all these ports that are suppose to be so bad"

OK I'll bite.

Jamaica 2015: 45 murders per 100,000 people, total population 2.6 million

Chicago 2016: 27.9 murders per 100,000 people, total population 2.7 million

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/jamaica-homicides-jump-20-per-cent--highest-level-in-5-years_48331

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/

But does it really matter?

I understand that fear of crime, or terrorism, or anything else is based on an individual's experience and perceptions. Why travel at all if fear is a driving factor? Is staying near your home any safer? As I stated previously, my own direct experience in Falmouth based on 4 actual visits (not perceptions or speculations) is that walking around the town was safe and enjoyable. Others might disagree but that's what I have experienced.

Indeed. You could always stay home. And never go out. :eek:

You could die, or get maimed anywhere in the world from an act of international or home grown terrorism. No place is safe anymore. Or, you could even die from an illness during your cruise. FWIW, it is in God's hands whether you live or die.

So, don't let fear deter you from travel.

And, if God wills, grant you continued good health, to live and not die before your next cruise.

Have fun on your cruise. clear.png?emoji-wink-1685

We are old & tired and leave the excursions to the younger crowd.

But we really enjoyed taking our rollators ashore at Falmouth.

We stayed inside the port area but were able to roll around at our leisure, resting when we needed to, looked at things, and watched the people.

On many occasions we would hire a taxi for a tour of the island and its attractions.

We always looked forward to the port call in Falmouth!

Ok, I get that. I didn't understand your intent in your post that I quoted since you described Jamaica as a mountainous and beautiful island. I didn't connect that with depressing and undesirable.

By the way, I really hope you avoid Labadee as beyond the fence of RCI's contrived compound those beautiful mountains hold even more poverty and appalling living conditions.

Ok, I get that. I didn't understand your intent in your post that I quoted since you described Jamaica as a mountainous and beautiful island. I didn't connect that with depressing and undesirable.

By the way, I really hope you avoid Labadee as beyond the fence of RCI's contrived compound those beautiful mountains hold even more poverty and appalling living conditions.

Honest question, can you even go outside the fence at Labadee?

On Celebrity 2 years ago and did city/walking tour in Cartagena, Columbia. Street vendors incredibly aggressive. One selling "Panama" hats followed people (not us) all the way back to our bus and almost tried to board trying to push their merchandise. It was quite unnerving.

Held up at gunpoint on NYC subway some years ago, on train approaching Grand Central stop. Safe area. In evening but not in the wee hours.

So where is really safe?

I thought Cartagena was way worse, but that didn't affect how I felt about the place. I thought it was incredibly hot and humid (in December!!!). Nonetheless, I had a guy try to sell me a pair of shorts that I was genuinely interested in, BUT it was like 5 sizes too small and obviously didn't fit me, but he kept coming after me nonetheless.

Jamaica is poor. Very poor. My wife when we were there made the comment of "this is what happens when you have almost 200 additional years of British colonial occupation (They declared independence in 1962). But the people itself are great. There are many who make their meager living selling that crap. They are working and this is the only way they know how. If you don't buy from them, they literally don't eat. I can forgive a little aggression there. The trick, is to get away from these vendors. You want to deal with the actual locals and they are a pleasure. Most of the Caribbean I have found is like that. Nassau, is also poor. Many of those vendors, have the same mentality and are in the same situation. Its probably worse during peak season. I myself, can usually get away and pretend I don't speak English :D, but my wife, not so much. However, if you look like you have a destination and don't seem interested, they will usually leave you alone. Personally, I love Jamaica once you get away from the the tourist central. It is one of my favorite destinations.

However, this is one of those places, you should either do an excursion, or have a guide. I had a private tour and I noticed our guide was especially alert with our surroundings which heightened my alert, however, this is nothing different that from what I already do in my own city.

Oh no! Going to Labadee on Allure for the first time in Jan 2019.

But what more would one expect in Haiti?

Not on your own unless you find a way to steak past the armed guard next to the locked gate. What does that tell you?

That the Island itself can be much like a paradise, but the people/conditions can be the exact opposite, which I believe is what some around here are trying to say.

We've been to Falmouth several times and the vendors there are no more pushy than the ones in touristy American cities or European cities.

I always check labels on clothes and stamps on merchandise for "Made in China" markings. It's really no different, conceptually, than souvenirs sold at shops in American and European tourist cities.

It's kind of crazy that the world is such a global village now that finding "locally made" crafts is actually difficult.

I can imagine a manufacturing district in China where all the companies are manufacturing souvenirs for all other countries in the world. You could probably walk through this district and buy souvenirs from every corner on Earth.

"Royal Caribbean not leaving Falmouth but fewer calls scheduled" (as was planned years ago).

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Royal-Caribbean-not-leaving-Falmouth-but-fewer-calls-scheduled

Unfortunately, I believe that this article from Travel Weekly is as confusing as the statements made by the Falmouth Mayor. If you take RCCL at their word that this slight change had been in the plans for some time there is no issue however, the writer of this article did not address the comments from the Mayor who indicated that RCCL had apparently advised him that the change was due to the rising passenger harassment and criminal activity. So now that the Mayor's comments, his admission that the problem does exist, what responsibility does the cruise line(s) have regarding passenger safety?

My opinion is that the RCCL could not just "pull out" of Falmouth after having spent so much to establish/build this port and I think behind doors they have told Falmouth to clean up their act. I also believe that by the Mayor coming out and making his comments he has put the pressure on the people of Falmouth to clean up their act as well. Now, I guess, time will tell.

I don't care for Jamaica, although we had a great time rafting there (except one of the tour guides tried to get my daughter and her friend to sneak off and smoke some marijuana - I found that out later). But every time I have been to Jamaica people followed me around trying to get me to buy their stuff. Of course, that totally turns me off. They need to realize that tactic backfires. On my Sept. 3 Oasis cruise, I may get off the ship but will just stay in the port area. I absolutely cannot stand the hard sell by anyone. I would be delighted if another port was substituted.

We are also sailing the Sept 3rd Oasis cruise, and are curious what other folks are doing if the ship does, in fact, port there. Has anyone tried the Dunns River Falls excursion? or perhaps gotten an day pass to a nice all-inclusive?

We are also sailing the Sept 3rd Oasis cruise, and are curious what other folks are doing if the ship does, in fact, port there. Has anyone tried the Dunns River Falls excursion? or perhaps gotten an day pass to a nice all-inclusive?

Yes to both. When we did DRF, we did not do a ships excursion, we hired a cab for the day and were able to get a private guide at the park for much less then we would have paid for a ship's excursion.

There are lots of all inclusives that do day passes unfortunately our favorite closed about 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing with y'all as well. We will jump off and buy some coffee and then get back on and enjoy the solarium and our drink packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums