Wine Problem

Tiggipaws

Hello

I will be arriving from the UK on Saturday evening before my cruise on the Sunday. I was going to purchase wine to take on board and pay corkage. I believe that there isn't anywhere to purchase alcohol from at domestic arrivals at the airport in Fort Lauderdale and alcohol cannot be bought on Sunday morning. I doubt if I will have time to purchase any at my first arrival airport in Atlanta as I have limited time. Is there anyway round this or would I just be better buying a wine package on board

Thank you

You can buy alcohol after 12 noon on Sundays. Don't know what time your ship leaves, but there is a Total Wine very close to the port. You could cab it to total wine right at noon, have the cab wait for you, then go right to the port. Most lines only let you bring two bottles on board unless you want to pay the corkage fee.

Good advice about Total WIne. You can preorder wine from there and pick it up at Noon on Sunday on the way to the ship or Saturday night on way to hotel. This will speed up the transaction. This store is close to to the port and port hotels.

I think Fort Lauderdale changed its wine laws last Fall. Here are Total Wine's new hours.

Fort Lauderdale

The Harbor Shops Plaza

1906 Cordova Road

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33316

(954) 828-9463

Store hours

• Monday9:00 am - 10:00 pm

• Tuesday9:00 am - 10:00 pm

• Wednesday9:00 am - 10:00 pm

• Thursday9:00 am - 10:00 pm

• Friday9:00 am - 11:00 pm

• Saturday9:00 am - 11:00 pm

• Sunday9:00 am - 10:00 pm

Thank you so much for all your replies. So am I correct that I can take the wine onboard, pay corkage and then drink it in any dining room?

You will pay corkage on any bottle over 2 per stateroom that you bring on at the time of boarding. They will be marked as paid so when you take them to the dining room you won't be charged again. The two "free" bottles of wine would be charged corkage if you brought them to the dining room.

You will pay corkage on any bottle over 2 per stateroom that you bring on at the time of boarding. They will be marked as paid so when you take them to the dining room you won't be charged again. The two "free" bottles of wine would be charged corkage if you brought them to the dining room.

Clarification: The corkage-free bottles are limited to 1 per person. So if you cruise solo, you only get one bottle corkage-free to consume in your room, or if you bring it to a public area you will likly be charged corkage at that time. m--

They got rid of the Sunday morning alcohol sales restriction in Fort Lauderdale.

Total Wine opens at 9 am. The Publix grocery store is open even earlier.

Clarification: The corkage-free bottles are limited to 1 per person. So if you cruise solo, you only get one bottle corkage-free to consume in your room, or if you bring it to a public area you will likly be charged corkage at that time. m--

So even if I take my corkage-free bottle into the MDR, I will be charged corkage?

You can buy alcohol after 12 noon on Sundays. Don't know what time your ship leaves, but there is a Total Wine very close to the port. You could cab it to total wine right at noon, have the cab wait for you, then go right to the port. Most lines only let you bring two bottles on board unless you want to pay the corkage fee.

You can order the wine from Total Wine on line the night or two before, then they will have it boxed, and all you have to do is pick it up from customer service.

Have a fun trip!

So even if I take my corkage-free bottle into the MDR, I will be charged corkage?

Yes. The corkage free bottle is for in room consumption only ;). That rule has never changed.

Thank you for all the replies. Problem sorted

This may not interest you, but HAL have sensibly priced spirits in 1L bottles which they deliver to your room for "in cabin" use. As an example, gin is approximately the equivalent of £40 per litre bottle which is significantly less than many other cruiselines.

Clarification: The corkage-free bottles are limited to 1 per adult. So if you cruise with a minor as a roommate you only get one corkage free bottle. :)

By the rules, yes - but sometimes they don't charge.

Even before they changed the free wine limit they charged corkage in the restaurants. I know that this has been going on for years, at least back to 2008. We started bringing our own wine once we got our condo in Fort Lauderdale and it was convenient. I think corkage was $15 back then. The wine steward gave me a charge slip at the end of each meal.

This corkage thing is kind of annoying, but paying $35-$40 for a $10 bottle of wine? Wow.

Oh, heck, I'll be honest. I can buy Beringer White Zinfandel at the grocery for $4.59. HAL charges $36.25 for the same bottle AND possibly charges corkage if you order in the dining room (not sure if corkage applies if you buy the bottle at the dining room or not--tell me if you know).

Seems to me that bringing in the bottle and paying $17 for corkage is still way cheaper. I'm thinking of packing an entire suitcase with wine bottles. Won't try to hide it, but will take it in the dining room and pay corkage. I'll still be saving $15 per bottle.

Am I correct?

Edited by IMNOFUN
typo

This corkage thing is kind of annoying, but paying $35-$40 for a $10 bottle of wine? Wow.

Oh, heck, I'll be honest. I can buy Beringer White Zinfandel at the grocery for $4.59. HAL charges $36.25 for the same bottle AND possibly charges corkage if you order in the dining room (not sure if corkage applies if you buy the bottle at the dining room or not--tell me if you know).

Seems to me that bringing in the bottle and paying $17 for corkage is still way cheaper. I'm thinking of packing an entire suitcase with wine bottles. Won't try to hide it, but will take it in the dining room and pay corkage. I'll still be saving $15 per bottle.

Am I correct?

A bit of clarification. HAL charges corkage for the wine you are bringing on since you are not drinking theirs - so, there is no corkage charge if you order their wine.

Corkage fee is $18, not $17 (no biggie, really, but just to help you out).

Your math is mostly correct I think, but you will pay the corkage at embarkation. And remember, you have to carry your wine on. You can't check it to be loaded on with your luggage.

A bit of clarification. HAL charges corkage for the wine you are bringing on since you are not drinking theirs - so, there is no corkage charge if you order their wine.

Corkage fee is $18, not $17 (no biggie, really, but just to help you out).

Your math is mostly correct I think, but you will pay the corkage at embarkation. And remember, you have to carry your wine on. You can't check it to be loaded on with your luggage.

Thanks. I'm not sure where I got the $17. Probably from an older thread on the subject. We can probably carry on 4-6 bottles of our rotgut. Some people want better quality. I can't tell the difference. I'm already a pariah liking white zin. Moscato: too sweet. Chardonnay: too sour. White Zin: Goldilocks. ;p

Some of us do bring a suitcase of wine :)

a CC member that I had the pleasure to cruise with had an awesome rolling carry on that held 12 bottles beautifully.

As long as it is carried on, no worries ;) We managed to lug on 1/2 our roll call's wine tasting bottles and our own. I just used a regular wheeled carry on and we slid a few into DH's back pack. But our CC friend had a better system when they wanted to see them ;)

Checking it was one of the reasons the wine was cut back on and may well end up with a trip to the naughty room and confiscation.

It's really not hard to carry on if one wants to do it.