Back after 4 years! Can you tell me what's changed with Royal Caribbean?

Hi! We just booked Freedom of the Seas for Feb. 17,2018. We haven't sailed the last four years and I am kinda lost on what's the scoop?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed there are no more Crown and Anchor coupons?

Non refundable deposit fares...we did book the refundable fare.

Drink Packages different?

Anytime Dining? Are the lines long?

Wifi packages or cell phone packages?

I am feeling lost and yet very excited to catch up!

Thanks for any help!!

No cell phone packages from the cruise line. However, there are WiFi packages. These are the prices onboard:

http://www.royalcaribbeanincentives.com/content/uploads/Voom.pdf

Check your Cruise Planner, many times there are promos on the WiFi packages.

There is only one alcoholic drink package, called Deluxe, which is the same as the old Ultimate package. No beer/wine package anymore.

Thank you Clarea!

Do the drink packages go on sale at some point? Right now it is $55 a day. If I wait is there a good chance it may drop a bit?

The packages go on and off sale and seemingly random times.

However, if you purchase, and later the price goes down, you can cancel and re-order.

Thank you Clarea!

Do the drink packages go on sale at some point? Right now it is $55 a day. If I wait is there a good chance it may drop a bit?

That price is without the 18% grat. Yes drink packages often go on sale, 20% off usually. Your price looks like it is 20% off. It you really want it just buy it. You can always buy now and cancel and rebuy it the price drops.

Welcome back!

We're back too and have been out of touch with RCCL world. A couple job changes, a move back to West Coast and a last minute cancelled NCL TA that we had waited for a year to do and a recent HAL cruise to Alaska out of Seattle (home area) have filled the last bunch of years but we are considering another TA for 2019 if we can find a Miami-Copenhagen itinerary. Now that we are Platinum on RCCL we might also try X if the price and itinerary is right. So... aside from a bunch of new ships what sort of policy and other changes could we expect?

Hi! We just booked Freedom of the Seas for Feb. 17,2018. We haven't sailed the last four years and I am kinda lost on what's the scoop?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed there are no more Crown and Anchor coupons?

Non refundable deposit fares...we did book the refundable fare.

Drink Packages different?

Anytime Dining? Are the lines long?

Wifi packages or cell phone packages?

I am feeling lost and yet very excited to catch up!

Thanks for any help!!

There are still C&A "coupons" but they aren't printed on paper anymore. They are in electronic form on your SeaPass card.

My Time Dining is easier for you if you make reservations before your cruise through your online Cruise Planner.

Also watch for the "Sip & Stream" package to become available on your Cruise Planner. It's one combined price for internet access and the Deluxe Beverage Package.

No chocolates on pillow

Drinks averaging $12

No wine packages

Way less good prizes.........I got a jacket once, now you're lucky to get a key chain

You have to ask for ice and robes

Not counting basic breakfast, room service is about $7.95

No birthday/anniversary cakes........you may get a cupcake if anything

MDR has dummied down the dress code

Platinum and above are only invited to the top tier party..........no welcome back party

Captains formal night party is dummied down

Wine tasting is now a fee

Any one else care to add?

Less frequent towel animals. The cabin attendants are more stressed.

Reduced benefits for "Future Cruise Certificates" booked on board. Better off booking a way in the future cruise and changing later to the cruise you want.

Lots of fake sales. Buyer beware!

Some things that have not changed or gotten better:

Entertainment is still mostly very good. Exception is that it is harder to find a good entertainer in the Schooner bar.

You can buy good specialty coffees on most ships and they offer a coffee punch card that may (or may not) be a good deal.

You can get internet service that actually works depending on where in the world the ship is.

The boarding process works well in most ports.

New and refurbished ships have added interesting new public spaces and activities. Your mileage may vary depending on the ship and what you like to do.

Contrasting to HAL cruise a few weeks ago...

• No chocolates on pillow - Chocolates every night, not that we needed them
  • Drinks averaging $12 - Ouch. Our beverage package allowed up to $9 and 90% of drinks were under $8
  • No wine packages - Neutral on this as we don't drink much wine
  • Way less good prizes.........I got a jacket once, now you're lucky to get a key chain - All lines have headed this way
  • You have to ask for ice and robes - Had both automatically
  • Not counting basic breakfast, room service is about $7.95 - Another ouch
  • No birthday/anniversary cakes........you may get a cupcake if anything - Got cake for 40th anniversary
  • MDR has dummied down the dress code - so has HAL, we still dressed up and would on RCCL too
  • Platinum and above are only invited to the top tier party..........no welcome back party - Welcome champagne reception in theater for everyone and Mariner lunch with champagne and Captain's toast on last sea day
  • Captains formal night party is dummied down - Ditto MDR above
  • Wine tasting is now a fee - Again neutral for us
  • Any one else care to add?

Not good to hear MDR has deteriorated even more than before. Even on HAL we noticed that portion sizes had shrunk. Shrimp appetizer had two little shrimp. I wonder if all lines are trying to manage waste (cost) and assuming people who really want more will ask for more rather than over serving those who would not eat all of it. :confused:

Thank you Clarea!

My Aug Allure sailing the price dropped to $48 and I bought it, now it is $52. Keeping checking

No chocolates on pillow

Drinks averaging $12

No wine packages

Way less good prizes.........I got a jacket once, now you're lucky to get a key chain

You have to ask for ice and robes

Not counting basic breakfast, room service is about $7.95

No birthday/anniversary cakes........you may get a cupcake if anything

MDR has dummied down the dress code

Platinum and above are only invited to the top tier party..........no welcome back party

Captains formal night party is dummied down

Wine tasting is now a fee

Any one else care to add?

Two robes were hanging in our closet on both of our last cruises.

Birthday cake was delivered to cabin on birthday.

Not sure about 'dummied down' but much like all cruise lines, the dress suggestions have been relaxed.

Contrasting to HAL cruise a few weeks ago...

• No chocolates on pillow - Chocolates every night, not that we needed them
  • Drinks averaging $12 - Ouch. Our beverage package allowed up to $9 and 90% of drinks were under $8
  • No wine packages - Neutral on this as we don't drink much wine
  • Way less good prizes.........I got a jacket once, now you're lucky to get a key chain - All lines have headed this way
  • You have to ask for ice and robes - Had both automatically
  • Not counting basic breakfast, room service is about $7.95 - Another ouch
  • No birthday/anniversary cakes........you may get a cupcake if anything - Got cake for 40th anniversary
  • MDR has dummied down the dress code - so has HAL, we still dressed up and would on RCCL too
  • Platinum and above are only invited to the top tier party..........no welcome back party - Welcome champagne reception in theater for everyone and Mariner lunch with champagne and Captain's toast on last sea day
  • Captains formal night party is dummied down - Ditto MDR above
  • Wine tasting is now a fee - Again neutral for us
  • Any one else care to add?

Not good to hear MDR has deteriorated even more than before. Even on HAL we noticed that portion sizes had shrunk. Shrimp appetizer had two little shrimp. I wonder if all lines are trying to manage waste (cost) and assuming people who really want more will ask for more rather than over serving those who would not eat all of it. :confused:

The focus for Royal Caribbean has been more on their specialty restaurants, where they can make more money, so the MDR experience has suffered some. You can still get great meals there, but some of the plates may not be up to par, so order several entrees and you will be fine.

The above is good, but I think you can point to many things that other cruise lines may do better, or that RCCL may do better. For me, there really is no comparison between RCCL and HAL, HAL is definitely a tier down, with their older ships, etc. However, to each their own, that is just one man's opinion.

I still think RCCL is a great cruise line with a lot of great, exciting new things to offer!

Edited by CruiseCheapsk8
mispelling

Just got off Harmony a couple of weeks ago after having also been away for 4 years. We noticed a decrease in food quality and variety, service has gone down a notch, crew seemed less friendly than in the past. On the plus side, the shows were some of the best we have seen, if not the best, at sea. Wifi was great.

Very little duplication of show times, if a show occurs during your dining time, change your time or miss that show.

Are you saying that in the last few months they have done away with two shows each night at 7:00 and 9:00 pm for early and late dinner?

I know that one show is usually done on the first and last nights, so you are saying other nights well, and what time is the single show? We have fixed late dinner on 4 upcoming cruises.:*