How does Chops work?

Mass produced vs. Made to order. HUGE difference!!!!

If you're not a foodie and think the MDR meals are excellent...then save your money. We do the pay restaurants at least 3 times per sailing because we think there's a big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

100%agree with this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should take a look at Tim & Courtney's Chops dinner photos in this review:

Page 8

It used to be said (last time we were on RCCL) that the steak in Giovanni's was equal to (or some said better) than steak in Chops. Other than the dry aged ones probably. Still true, or close? Last time we went Giovanni's was (if I recall) $20 and Chops was $35. I suppose Giovanni's is at least $25 now perhaps??? Can't find price on the web site and can't make a fake reservation without being booked.

• 1 month later...

Yikes! Choppes is $49 for our Christmas cruise on the Allure. $79 if you want to go Christmas Day. DH is the only one in our family who thought to was worth it for $35. $49 is tough to pay for 7 people when only one really wants it....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Chops and Giovanni's are great places to dine. My Father and I did the BOGO for our upcoming cruise and l will make certain its Chops and Giovanni's or Chops twice. On two cruises we ate at Chops twice its soo good as is their Red Velvet cake steaks and sides. I see no reason to upcharge to the premium steaks or ordering two entrees after that large Idaho Baked Potato and French Onion Soup. The Goat Cheese salad is good I ask for extra Goat Cheese. At $15 per restaurant you can't go wrong with the BOGO.

Chops and Giovanni's are great places to dine. My Father and I did the BOGO for our upcoming cruise and l will make certain its Chops and Giovanni's or Chops twice. On two cruises we ate at Chops twice its soo good as is their Red Velvet cake steaks and sides. I see no reason to upcharge to the premium steaks or ordering two entrees after that large Idaho Baked Potato and French Onion Soup. The Goat Cheese salad is good I ask for extra Goat Cheese. At $15 per restaurant you can't go wrong with the BOGO.

New menu in Chops. French onion soup gone. No upcharge steak but only 1 or 2 seafood items without upcharge. New upcharge items $19-$39 on top of raised entry prices for seafood. Less items on side dishes

I have to preface my statement by saying I have only done Chops recently on Allure of the Seas and have never even sailed on Adventure of the Seas. Having said that, I have absolutely loved going to Chops. In January and July we went there 3 nights out of 7.

We had the best service each time and asked for the same waiter each time during the week. The waiter we had in January was on vacation in July, so we had another one who was wonderful. The July cruise had a rib eye steak that was to die for. I normally order a filet, but the waiter suggested the rib eye to my son on our second night there. He loved it so the last night we were there, I ordered it as well as my daughter-in-law and son. The only one who stuck with the filet was my granddaughter. The steak was huge and I couldn't eat it all.

I am going on Allure again in January and plan to go there at least 3 nights again. I think it's worth the price, but I also get a 5 night dining package as I am not fond of the noise in the MDR or the food in there. The waiters have too many tables to serve and it takes forever to get a drink or even a refill on water.

Yikes! Choppes is $49 for our Christmas cruise on the Allure. $79 if you want to go Christmas Day. DH is the only one in our family who thought to was worth it for $35. $49 is tough to pay for 7 people when only one really wants it....

Your DH can order a Chops steak in the MDR while the rest of you enjoy your "free" dinner, as usual. :)

Many of the ships, though I don't think 100%, have "First Night Done Right" as an option. You pay 50% of the usual price for the specialty restaurant on the first night of the cruise. The restaurants all have different prices, so if Sabor is $30.00, you'll pay $15.00 each; if Chops is $42.00, you'll pay $21.00 each, etc.

The only drawback is if you book it on-line, Royal chooses the restaurant for you. You won't find out the restaurant they have chosen until you get on board. If you aren't happy, you can switch restaurants if there is space available in the one you want.

Many of the ships, though I don't think 100%, have "First Night Done Right" as an option. You pay 50% of the usual price for the specialty restaurant on the first night of the cruise. The restaurants all have different prices, so if Sabor is $30.00, you'll pay $15.00 each; if Chops is $42.00, you'll pay $21.00 each, etc.

The only drawback is if you book it on-line, Royal chooses the restaurant for you. You won't find out the restaurant they have chosen until you get on board. If you aren't happy, you can switch restaurants if there is space available in the one you want.

FNDR is a flat $15, paid up front on the Cruise Planner. At the time of booking, neither you nor Royal Caribbean knows which restaurant you will be assigned. I have been able to do Chops when I wanted to. (seemed like the best value because of the cost)

We booked the BOGO offer and will dine in Chops 2x. We also booked the murder mystery dinner which lands you in Giovannis for dinner. We love the MDR too. I just like taking my wife to Chops because it's special for her, a real date night amongst a week of date nights while on board.

We booked the BOGO offer and will dine in Chops 2x. We also booked the murder mystery dinner which lands you in Giovannis for dinner. We love the MDR too. I just like taking my wife to Chops because it's special for her, a real date night amongst a week of date nights while on board.

In case you don't know, the menu for the Mystery Dinner is not the regular Giovanni's menu, and is very abbreviated. Usually only two choices for entree.

FNDR is a flat $15, paid up front on the Cruise Planner. At the time of booking, neither you nor Royal Caribbean knows which restaurant you will be assigned. I have been able to do Chops when I wanted to. (seemed like the best value because of the cost)

Interesting. Apparently, another example of Royal's mixed information. I posted what the diamond + desk on Royal told me when I called about FNDR for our Oasis sailing Aug. 20th. We decided not to book before the cruise because we had been told we could book on board, even though the site says that's not possible. When we asked, they were happy to book us, and they did it for 50% off the regular rate. We asked if they were using our "Buy one/Get one," and were assured they were not, and they booked our friends who didn't have "Buy one/Get one" for the same 50% off. They even encouraged us to return and use our "Buy one/Get One" coupon.

I just went to the web site for FNDR for Allure and found

First Night Done Right

50% OFF SPECIALTY DAY 1 Note the 50% off

Make your first night extra special with a meal at one of our specialty restaurants and…

From*$15.00USD Adult Note the "FROM"

From*$15.00USD Adult

Once again, it seems to depend on which ship and who you talk to.;)

Edited by Pstreet12

Interesting. Apparently, another example of Royal's mixed information. I posted what the diamond + desk on Royal told me when I called about FNDR for our Oasis sailing Aug. 20th. We decided not to book before the cruise because we had been told we could book on board, even though the site says that's not possible. When we asked, they were happy to book us, and they did it for 50% off the regular rate. We asked if they were using our "Buy one/Get one," and were assured they were not, and they booked our friends who didn't have "Buy one/Get one" for the same 50% off. They even encouraged us to return and use our "Buy one/Get One" coupon.

I just went to the web site for FNDR for Allure and found

First Night Done Right

50% OFF SPECIALTY DAY 1 Note the 50% off

Make your first night extra special with a meal at one of our specialty restaurants and…

From*$15.00USDAdult Note the "FROM"

From*$15.00USD Adult

Once again, it seems to depend on which ship and who you talk to.;)

Did you put it in your "shopping cart"? It should have showed up as $15.

Did you put it in your "shopping cart"? It should have showed up as $15.

Carol, there were many reports that either Oasis or Allure (can't remember which one) was only allowing the FNDR that people purchased ahead of time at the $15 to be redeemed at Giovanni's or Sabor. If you wanted to use it at one of the other restaurants then they charged you more on board.

Carol, there were many reports that either Oasis or Allure (can't remember which one) was only allowing the FNDR that people purchased ahead of time at the $15 to be redeemed at Giovanni's or Sabor. If you wanted to use it at one of the other restaurants then they charged you more on board.

That stinks. It certainly didn't work that way on Radiance, the last ship on which I used FNDR.

Here is what you get at Chops for your $42 per person - Choice beef NOT Prime beef. You get good ol' regular Choice beef like at Applebees and Long Horn. Enjoy!

Although I agree that Chops comes down to personal preference regarding quality, value, etc., I would STRONGLY disagree that it compares with Applebees in any way, shape or form! Applebees tastes like a frozen dinner from the grocery store to me. Just my .02 - no offense intended!

We did Chops last week on Grandeur. As good as the service was in the MDR, it was better in Chops.

Appetizers are larger and some other choices. Steak was quite good. Not top of the line steak house, but good.

We got a 3 dinner package for $75 per person. This was offered as the embarked and later on board. It was "supposedly" for one meal in each of the three venues, but you can change around. If you went to Izumi (which is ala carte pricing) you got $50 per person credit on your bill.

A lot people think and say this, but think about it - how many people, even if Chops (or other venue) is full and turned over 3 times/night, would dine there? Maybe 10-20% of the ship - like the MDR on Quantum class, the physics of the venues have limitations.

Biker, who thinks that traditional dining has a much better chance to be killed by ideas like DD, than specialty dining.