Accident on Independence caused by crew member

We have just left IOS after a great cruise to Oslo.

The day before disembarking in Southampton, we were leaving the Windjammer after an afternoon snack. I am disabled, so walk quite slowly with a cane, keeping an eye on where I walk as I am very unsteady.

Just as we were leaving, a crew member must have pressed a button to close the large wooden doors at the entrance. One of them slammed into me with considerable force, and if it hadn't been for the support of my wife, I would have been knocked to the ground. I was totally shocked and badly shaken up, needing to sit for 15 minutes on a bench dragged over for me to sit on. The crew member was apologetic, but I had to insist he recorded the incident. He did offer to take me to the doctor, but I didn't want to end up with a bill for something that wasn't my fault.

We received a call later at 6.30 to see if I was OK. I confirmed I was badly shaken, but didn't think there was any serious damage. Today, back at home, I can now see serious bruising along my right arm and extremely sore knuckles where the door struck me.

What should I do about this so it doesn't happen to someone else?

You would not have been charged for seeing the doctor on the ship since it was an accident caused by the crew member. I am very surprised that you sat there for 15 minutes and no officer from the WJ checked on you. Usually when there is any incident, officers and crew members come out of the woodwork to help. It is also very surprising that no one visited you, especially after you told someone on the phone you were shaken up.

Email corporate and explain what happened in detail. Usually when those doors are closed, they make sure there are no people, crew or passengers, in the way.

So sorry and hope you get better soon. If you had gone to the doctor you probably wouldn't have received a bill because it was the crew person's fault. You would also have ensured that there was a record of the incident.

What should I do about this so it doesn't happen to someone else?

Nothing

It was a one off accident and/or mistake.

They apologized profusely. They were concerned enough to check in on you.

What do want them to do, put up warning signs and lights at every doorway?

There is a warning beeping, like when a truck backs up, when the WJ doors close on Anthem, so the cruise line is making an effort to warn people on Anthem at least. I do not know if there is an audible sound when other ships WJ does close, but I think it is a good idea.

As noted, there would have been no bill had you been checked by the doctor. Fortunately there was no permanent damage. If the accident was recorded - which it obviously was since someone called to check on you, I think enough has been done.

Nothing

It was a one off accident and/or mistake.

They apologized profusely. They were concerned enough to check in on you.

Exactly. Accidents happen all the time. If it wasn't a crew member accidently closing a door on you, it could have been another one spilling hot soup on you. I'm not trying to be insensitive, but things happen that simply can't be prevented.

Let it go. Crew member did not deliberately harm you. They apologized and offered a medical check up. Called later to see if you were OK.

Be aware that if you really want to pursue it, you could cost that crew member their job.

Ship happens.

The only question the OP asked was "What should I do about this so it doesn't happen to someone else?" He isn't asking for compensation.

In answer to that, it looks like you already did something by making sure the incident was recorded. As has already been mentioned, you can also email corporate describing the incident along with your wishes that better care be given when the doors are closed. You may also note the incident on the cruise survey if a place for additional comments still exists.

I'm sorry this happened to you and wish you a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was an accident as you've already said

As it's been noted. I'd hoped that they'd have taken steps to prevent it happening again. There really is nothing more to do other than take yourself off to your GP tomorrow.

So when some of you get into say get into car accident I hope you can suck it up and say its just an accident.

Sometimes the consequences of a hit or a fall doesnt cause any harm to you immediately but you pay for that fall eventually. Any injury to your joints will have a direct impact sooner or later. OP said he's badly bruised, so the least RC can do is pay for the medical bills if he needs to seek medical attention at this point. It s

So when some of you get into say get into car accident I hope you can suck it up and say its just an accident.

Sometimes the consequences of a hit or a fall doesnt cause any harm to you immediately but you pay for that fall eventually. Any injury to your joints will have a direct impact sooner or later. OP said he's badly bruised, so the least RC can do is pay for the medical bills if he needs to seek medical attention at this point. It s

Did you even read the original post? The question was "What should I do about this so it doesn't happen to someone else?" People are responding by basically saying it was an accident, and that accidents happen.

Depending on the severtiy of the accident would depend on your course of action.

He's is from the UK so going to the GP will not require cost for any medical bills to be paid

The Cruise line offered to send him to the doctor onboard which was declined

Didn't someone on a Princess ship get hit by a glass door?

They sued and got millions

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Just because someone did it doesnt make it justified or "right". We live today, sadly, in a way too litigious society where people are always trying to cash in on inadvertent trivial accidents like this. There was no serious or permanent injury. The cruise line tried to do what they could to remedy it. The OP needs to realize that and get on with life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums