Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

We left NCL because of that. The Mast Grill was our favorite place to grab a burger and fries. So maybe it's time to start shopping around for a different cruise line. Doesn't Celebrity realize that this is the fastest way to lose faithful cruisers. It's not that we can't afford the extra nickel and dimes, it's the disrespect that Celebrity spews on its customers. Keep your burgers, we sail elsewhere![emoji857][emoji857]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fine. You were in an air-conditioned restaurant with table service and you knew there was an extra charge for eating there. Would you really pay $10 for a burger that you had to stand in line to order, then search in vain for table at which to eat it in the hot sun? Not the same thing at all.

Fabulous point!!

Had a nightmare last night. Many older folks might remember when Horn and Hardart operated self-service cafes called "Automats." In an Automat, you have hundreds of little compartments which are loaded from the rear (kitchen) and customers get their food from the front. But to get your food you had to pay money to open the little windowed compartment. Well, we can see LLP doing this on the new builds. One would have to swipe their cruise card (they would likely change this to wrist band transponders) to get the window to open with the food. You would be charged for each item. So, for example, a hotdog might cost you $25....and you would have to pay another $5 for a dab of mustard. Water (out of a dispenser would still be free), but if you wanted your water out of a "filtered dispenser" it would be $2 per ounce. Weak coffee (kind of like dishwater) would be free....but if you wanted it stronger (with some flavor) it would only cost $5 per ounce. And I also dreamed that Bingo cards would be sold at the bargain price of 3 cards for $100! But you would be eligible for the Million Dollar Jackpot...if you could cover your card in the first 23 numbers. Deck loungers would cost $5 per hour....and would automatically dump their patrons if they failed to pay up. Cabin showers would have meters....and you would pay $25 per minute for water. And in a move to have something similar to "resort fees," LLP would impose an "Air Fee" which would be $30 a day for just breathing the filtered air inside a ship. But there would be no charge for the air on deck :).

Hank

Beautifully written!

We left NCL because of that. The Mast Grill was our favorite place to grab a burger and fries. So maybe it's time to start shopping around for a different cruise line. Doesn't Celebrity realize that this is the fastest way to lose faithful cruisers. It's not that we can't afford the extra nickel and dimes, it's the disrespect that Celebrity spews on its customers. Keep your burgers, we sail elsewhere![emoji857][emoji857]

Celebrity is not concerned about keeping the old faithful customer. Celebrity is looking to hook the newer customers that can accept the way it is now and have no idea as to what has been taken away in the name of corporate greed. Those that have no idea as to how great it was 10 years ago will accept the fact that everything is now an extra charge when a cruise was an all inclusive vacation except for drinks only a few years ago. To Celebrity, the less informed the customer is, the butterfly them.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

had a nightmare last night. Many older folks might remember when horn and hardart operated self-service cafes called "automats." in an automat, you have hundreds of little compartments which are loaded from the rear (kitchen) and customers get their food from the front. But to get your food you had to pay money to open the little windowed compartment. Well, we can see llp doing this on the new builds. One would have to swipe their cruise card (they would likely change this to wrist band transponders) to get the window to open with the food. You would be charged for each item. So, for example, a hotdog might cost you $25....and you would have to pay another $5 for a dab of mustard. Water (out of a dispenser would still be free), but if you wanted your water out of a "filtered dispenser" it would be $2 per ounce. Weak coffee (kind of like dishwater) would be free....but if you wanted it stronger (with some flavor) it would only cost $5 per ounce. And i also dreamed that bingo cards would be sold at the bargain price of 3 cards for $100! But you would be eligible for the million dollar jackpot...if you could cover your card in the first 23 numbers. Deck loungers would cost $5 per hour....and would automatically dump their patrons if they failed to pay up. Cabin showers would have meters....and you would pay $25 per minute for water. And in a move to have something similar to "resort fees," llp would impose an "air fee" which would be $30 a day for just breathing the filtered air inside a ship. But there would be no charge for the air on deck :).

Hank

Don't give them any ideas!!!

I just cant believe Celebrity would make such a stupid move. This is the ultimate in nickle and diming. If they had done any research they would have known that this would be enormously upsetting to most folks. Just look at the number of people looking at this topic. Whoever is responsible for this idiotic idea, should be promptly fired. This is NOT the way to generate revenue. I hope NO ONE spends a penny on this and boycotts it entirely. Hey what about the hot dogs. How much are they now?

Yes of course you are right, they are hoping that those not in the know will think of this as business as usual and who cares about all the others.

Had a nightmare last night. Many older folks might remember when Horn and Hardart operated self-service cafes called "Automats." In an Automat, you have hundreds of little compartments which are loaded from the rear (kitchen) and customers get their food from the front. But to get your food you had to pay money to open the little windowed compartment. Well, we can see LLP doing this on the new builds. One would have to swipe their cruise card (they would likely change this to wrist band transponders) to get the window to open with the food. You would be charged for each item. So, for example, a hotdog might cost you $25....and you would have to pay another $5 for a dab of mustard. Water (out of a dispenser would still be free), but if you wanted your water out of a "filtered dispenser" it would be $2 per ounce. Weak coffee (kind of like dishwater) would be free....but if you wanted it stronger (with some flavor) it would only cost $5 per ounce. And I also dreamed that Bingo cards would be sold at the bargain price of 3 cards for $100! But you would be eligible for the Million Dollar Jackpot...if you could cover your card in the first 23 numbers. Deck loungers would cost $5 per hour....and would automatically dump their patrons if they failed to pay up. Cabin showers would have meters....and you would pay $25 per minute for water. And in a move to have something similar to "resort fees," LLP would impose an "Air Fee" which would be $30 a day for just breathing the filtered air inside a ship. But there would be no charge for the air on deck :).

Hank

Thanks for the memory Hank, I loved the automat as a kid.....

On the Constellation, the new free burgers in the buffet suck! Dry crumbly buns, meat was pink inside, and the layout was all jumbled so you're crossing back and forth across fellow pax to build your burger. No one was manning the station to ask them to cook the burgers longer, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's my gripe too and we are in a RS for our next 2 cruises so the burgers should not cost us. There is very limited seating at the grill on S class ships and it is all in the sun. A bit more on M class but it is often taken up by card players or people reading.

Why would being in a RS mean you shouldn't pay for the burgers?? :rolleyes:

On the Constellation, the new free burgers in the buffet suck! Dry crumbly buns, meat was pink inside, and the layout was all jumbled so you're crossing back and forth across fellow pax to build your burger. No one was manning the station to ask them to cook the burgers longer, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is Celebrities way of saying if you want a burger as good as before you're going to pay for it but without the upcharge it's take it or leave it and we don't care.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Forums mobile app

No one was manning the station to ask them to cook the burgers longer, too.

Sure they were. You were just impatient. The person comes back every 15 minutes or so to cook up another pan of burgers before going back to their regular station. If you didn't want to wait, you should have gone to the TDBB and paid the $10! (tongue in cheek) Isn't that like what they're doing with the MDR and specialty restaurants? Dumb down the MDR with cheap cuts of meat and eliminate seafood.

The new Modern Luxury.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

What about the hot dogs?? Do they still have them? Is there a charge? Can you just get fries for free?

The hot dogs are only $10 each - fries are indeed free... with purchase of a hotdog or burger (buns also included at no additional charge).

Our first cruise ever was a Hubbard Glacier Alaska Cruise out of Vancouver on Infinity in May of 2001. For a grand total of under $2000 for the two of us, we had a package that included airfare, transfers, port fees and Deluxe OV accommodations. The ship was a mere 2 months new and all passengers (not just Suite guests) were given the Royal treatment with all of the bells and whistles. Infinity was a truly special ship.

Formal nights were really formal with multiple servers, elegant place settings, an insane # of utensils and all meals were served @ once under heat retaining Silver Covers. Voila! There was always a String Quartet. The MDR food was equivalent to what the best Luxury lines now offer. Celebrity always won the Large Ship Category for best dining.

Service was 6 stars and practically everything (including Burgers) was part of the cruise fare. It blew us away and got us hooked on Celebrity and cruising for our vacations ever since. Thereafter throughout the early 2000's, all of the Celebrity ships were on the top 10 Conde Naste list year after year after year, usually sweeping all categories!

Who here remembers those glorious days in Celebrity's history? They were still making money in 2001, weren't they??

Our first cruise ever was a Hubbard Glacier Alaska Cruise out of Vancouver on Infinity in May of 2001. For a grand total of under $2000 for the two of us, we had a package that included airfare, transfers, port fees and Deluxe OV accommodations. The ship was a mere 2 months new and all passengers (not just Suite guests) were given the Royal treatment with all of the bells and whistles. Infinity was a truly special ship.

Formal nights were really formal with multiple servers, elegant place settings, an insane # of utensils and all meals were served @ once under heat retaining Silver Covers. Voila! There was always a String Quartet. The MDR food was equivalent to what the best Luxury lines now offer. Celebrity always won the Large Ship Category for best dining.

Service was 6 stars and practically everything (including Burgers) was part of the cruise fare. It blew us away and got us hooked on Celebrity and cruising for our vacations ever since. Thereafter throughout the early 2000's, all of the Celebrity ships were on the top 10 Conde Naste list year after year after year, usually sweeping all categories!

Who here remembers those glorious days in Celebrity's history? They were still making money in 2001, weren't they??

We were on the Infinity the month after you in 2001, and it truly was a remarkable experience. The specialty dinner in the SS United States blew us away at the synchronistic unveiling of our dinners. One waiter for two of us at a table for six, hence, three waiters for one table of six. Steak Diane .... still it ranks as one of the best meals I've Ever had. Michael Roux food in the MDR. As you mentioned, multiple pieces of cutlery, even a fish knife whether we were eating fish or not, iced tea spoons, you name it.

That was my third cruise , first on X, and my husband's first.

Wonderful memories of the Infinity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure they were. You were just impatient. The person comes back every 15 minutes or so to cook up another pan of burgers before going back to their regular station. If you didn't want to wait, you should have gone to the TDBB and paid the $10! (tongue in cheek) Isn't that like what they're doing with the MDR and specialty restaurants? Dumb down the MDR with cheap cuts of meat and eliminate seafood.

The new Modern Luxury.

I was on the Solstice in December for a NZ to Australia cruise. I enjoyed the cruise but to be honest the food wasn't particularly memorable. The most disappointing entree in the MDR was the 'steak' that is served. Oh man, it was 1/8 inch thick piece of nothing! They should be ashamed of serving that!

I remember my first Celebrity cruise on the Millennium in its first year of service. Dining in the MDR entailed 2 Assistant waiters besides the Main waiter (large table).

What Celebrity continues to excel at is the design of their shops. The new Edge Class confirms that. Having said that I was BLOWN AWAY when I sailed Anthem of the Seas. As many others have remarked that ship is in the wrong cruise line;it resembles a Celebrity ship and nothing like a Royal ship!

With regards to food, Celebrity needs to improve on the MDR and specialty restaurants. I don't like Tuscan Grill (Carnival's Steakhouse is head & shoulders over TG) and Qsine is the only restaurant I consistently enjoy the dining experience. Their buffet, though, especially on Solstice Class ships, is top notch in selection and food quality. I enjoy and regularly eat at the Spa Cafe but the service is very spotty regardless of the ship - there's never enough help or seating! The food quality there is fine but it's always like pulling teeth to get any service there!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Very true, we were the same. (Kids onboard as well back then too! :-) ) That's where I see things have changed a lot since then.

However, this latest change of charges for fast food (regardless of whether they call it "gourmet") just takes them to what is widely referred to as a 3* line here in Australia, P&O.

While there are a few differences between the two, substantially there isn't a great deal to differentiate them in the product/service. Price is a massive differentiator between them though so for the difference in price/product, there just isn't the value in Celebrity any more.

Interestingly a local cruise publication referred to this on Equinox as a "pop-up venue." Which means that it is only temporary.

While I'm not giving that a lot of credence at the moment, given the introduction on Constellation, its effort to establish the supply set up, and that it hasn't been referred to as that elsewhere yet, it's also questionable where that reference came from unless it was something the reporter guessed and made up, or some interpretation of it being a 'trial.' We can only hope...