Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

My wife and I must be in a minority as we don't go on a cruise to dine on pizza, burgers, hot dogs, sausages or fries.

If we want them many places around us have happy hours with 1/2 lb angus burgers for $5 or less

Happy cruising

Hi miched! I would think that you and your wife probably are in the minority, which is neither here nor there. The point is that the Mast Grill on S ships and the Grill on M class ships has always been a popular place, especially on sea days, for people hanging by the pool who do want to eat a burger on a cruise, to just walk up and get It, without having to change out of their bathing suit, going to the OVC for a burger and then coming back to the pool to find their loungers taken. Also, the burgers in the OVC are sitting in pans for who knows how long, & truly are hockey pucks.

If Celebrity wants to offer a premium burger(I won't even get into the semantics of what they're made from), fine. But they should not offer it by inconveniencing their guests; having them travel for a free burger.

I guess it's human nature that if a change doesn't affect you, it's OK. I know when I heard about the for pay burger on Constellation, I didn't like it but thought at least it's not on my Equinox sailing....WRONG! But unfortunately, Celebrity's trend lately is to pick, pick, pick away at the things that many loved about them. Sooner or later, everyone will be affected by a change or a cut that they personally feel is a big deal. Just a matter of time.

Didn't the Mast Grill have other no-fee items beyond hamburgers previously? If so, are they all gone and now it's only a hamburger stand?

That's what I wanted to know. French fries for instance. Are they still free?

Since they describe it as "American Style Kobe Beef" it is legal. It is only a legal issue if the description is simply "Kobe beef" - and it is not actual Kobe beef. Any restaurant (in US at least) can use the term "American Style Kobe" or even "Kobe Style" - but it is just a silly term to use, as it has absolutely zero meaning. While there is some excellent quality domestic beef that is a cross-breed between Wagyu (Japanese cattle) and Angus (American cattle) that is superior to typical USDA prime, since the terms American Style Kobe Beef and Kobe Style Beef are not regulated in the US with regards to their use at restaurants - a restaurant could simply call the worst, cheapest 100% domestic beef American Style Kobe.

Not according to this that was posted on CC 2 July from the Constellation.

a961b67ab6ed7856ba7abcb0559dfc3c.png

I'm wondering if someone who has cruised one of the ships where the Kobe Beef Burgers are being sold can use the picture of the menu to file a fraud complaint with the Federal Trade Commission using their online form?

I've got to get one filed for Celebrity Cruises calling French Fries French.....most of them aren't you know

What a disastrous PR blunder.

To deliberately deceive their guests regarding the beef (Kobe?) is shameful from a company such as Celebrity. At least they have acknowledged the deception on this board although it seems they haven't changed the menus.

But to substantially alter the pool experience, (giving up lounge chairs, dining inside, looking for new pool chairs, etc.) especially for families, is significant and upsetting. Did they not think this through?

Thorough and complete market research, folks. Works every time.

Google Kobe Beef and see what it really is. From a couple of the articles real Kobe Beef comes from Japan and the price in the article was at $139.00 a lbs. That would make a 1/4 pound burger about $34.00. I would doubt that it is real Kobe Beef. What they are doing is not against the law. There are only 8 or 9 restaurants in the US that sell real Kobe Beef.

To deliberately deceive their guests regarding the beef (Kobe?) is shameful from a company such as Celebrity. At least they have acknowledged the deception on this board although it seems they haven't changed the menus.

But to substantially alter the pool experience, (giving up lounge chairs, dining inside, looking for new pool chairs, etc.) especially for families, is significant and upsetting. Did they not think this through?

I truly believe that they don't care. It is immaterial to them whether we lose our pool chairs or not. After looking at that menu, I think these things should have been offered at a dedicated restaurant, not at a simple pool grill.

Keep it simple, hamburgers, hot dogs, fries and veggie burgers.

As others have mentioned, why would we want to purchase all that when there isn't even adequate seating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While it is not illegal it is deceptive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobe_beef

Mislabelling

220px-Map_of_Japan_with_highlight_on_28_Hyogo_prefecture.svg.png

Hyogo prefecture, where authentic Kobe beef is produced

The proliferation of beef outside Japan marketed as Kobe beef is an issue for Kobe beef farmers. Due to a lack of legal recognition of the Kobe beef trademark in the United States, it is possible to sell meat that is incorrectly labeled as Kobe beef.[22][23] The Kobe Beef Marketing and Distribution Promotion Association planned to publish pamphlets about Kobe beef in foreign languages.[24]

Japan has a Wagyu Beef Export Promotion Committee.[6]

Is this going fleetwide and if so, when? Or perhaps it's already happened :confused:?

I think this is about all anyone knows on this so far. Fleetwide is a toss up at this point but if people pay they will take the $$ so one can bet that will make their decision for them.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7948

I've sailed on NCL mostly recently, and they did similar to the Breakaway, and other ships....

They used to serve outstanding burger's at the "Uptown Grill". located outside the pool area....

Now they've converted those venues into "Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville At Sea". They now charge for the burger's served there.

However, you can still get free burger's in the buffet, and also, the great burger's they used to offer at the Uptown Grill are served free at the "O'Sheehan's Pub", above the atrium in the ship's interior.

We're all hoping that passenger's will "vote with their wallet", and boycott the Margaritaville, until NCL drops the charge, and/or return the venue to the former Uptown Grill, when the contract with Jimmy Buffet hopefully ends...

It must of been back in the early 1990 when we sailed on Royal Caribbean and they just started to introduce a "fee" restaurant. I said at that time "I won't pay any extra $$ to eat in a restaurant that I paid for in my cruise fare". Fast forward 20 years and look at all the "extra" fees. The more people pay extra for this, the more "fees" will be coming.

...What they are doing is not against the law. There are only 8 or 9 restaurants in the US that sell real Kobe Beef.

Maybe not in the USA but Celebrity advertises, sells its products, sails to & from, and has operational businesses in other countries where this sort of thing might be

Follow up to my post above.

The 'new' burgers ARE Kobe Beef so MUCH better quality. Not saying this makes things right, just the way it is. Off to Oceanview Cafe to get the free burgers lol

I do not think they are KOBE beef, that sells at $50 / lb

Why do you have to give up your lounge chairs? Simply ask the person next to you to keep ant eye on it for you. I do it all the time and folks always accommodating. You also don't have to dine inside, as you could bring your food out and eat it while sitting on your lounger.

Not according to this that was posted on CC 2 July from the Constellation.

a961b67ab6ed7856ba7abcb0559dfc3c.png

That does not look like the Cheesecake Factory menu that my post you quoted was in response to. This menu (Celebrity's) would very likely be considered illegal in the US (and quite possibly in UK as well from one some posters have stated earlier this thread).

For those saying it is not illegal in the US, there have been multiple lawsuits the past couple of years against restaurants who called beef "Kobe beef" that was not Kobe beef (under the guise of false advertising). So far as I know in each of the recent law suits the offending company agreed to cease using the term Kobe beef AND agreed to pay damages. See some examples linked below:

https://www.eater.com/2014/8/21/6167255/sbe-group-settles-class-action-kobe-beef-lawsuit

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/339265-fuddruckers-settles-kobe-beef-false-advertising-class-action/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/42777-barneys-beanery-kobe-beef-class-action-settlement-gets-final-ok/

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/5152-marriott-faces-class-action-lawsuit-over-inferior-kobe-beef/

http://www.classactionsnews.com/settlements/innovative-dining-group-false-advertising-class-action-settlement

Edited by Gonzo70

Why do you have to give up your lounge chairs? Simply ask the person next to you to keep ant eye on it for you. I do it all the time and folks always accommodating. You also don't have to dine inside, as you could bring your food out and eat it while sitting on your lounger.

I have to ask, is there ANY change that Celebrity could EVER make that you couldn't rationalize to yourself that it's really alright; all one has to do is....,or I really don't use.....so it's no big deal?

I have to ask, is there ANY change that Celebrity could EVER make that you couldn't rationalize to yourself that it's really alright; all one has to do is....,or I really don't use.....so it's no big deal?

Sure. This is one of them, but to say one has to give up their lounger or eat inside, is not a good counter to this, because Celebrity is smart enough to know that doesn't need to happen. I just said that I wouldn't pay for a burger on the ship. Also, I'm sure Celebrity doesn't care if someone loses their lounger, but they will care if someone won't pay for a burger.

Paying per kilo for bringing luggage on to their ships will be next - well the airlines are doing it, so it must be acceptable ;p. There again, some pax would say they'd wear all their cruise clothes in layers and undress once onboard :rolleyes: :D.

Follow up to my post above.

The 'new' burgers ARE Kobe Beef so MUCH better quality. Not saying this makes things right, just the way it is. Off to Oceanview Cafe to get the free burgers lol

You mean "kobe style" -- kobe or wagyu beef cannot be imported from Japan. And the other thread says that it is further blended with "rib cap" meat -- make better burgers with spices??? I do that at home...

Everyone's talking about the burgers, but check out the menu posted-they're charging $10 for a hot dog, too! I don't care if the meat has gold leaf on it, there's no hot dog in the world worth $10.:(

I'd gladly pay $10 for some of these hotdogs! ;p:cool::D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2332554/Worlds-expensive-hot-dog-2-300-nearly-long-baseball-bat-New-Yorks-230-Fifth.html

You mean "kobe style" -- kobe or wagyu beef cannot be imported from Japan. And the other thread says that it is further blended with "rib cap" meat -- make better burgers with spices??? I do that at home...

Kobe and other Wagyu beef can (and is) imported from Japan, but it is rare (especially Kobe) and extremely expensive. Celebrity is clearly not doing this (and has admitted as such).

Just thought I'd share this. I sent the following email to CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo:

I am writing to voice my displeasure over addition of extra fee burgers and hot dogs at the above venues and the relocation of the included burgers to the Oceanview Cafe.

As anyone who has cruised before knows, the convenience of a quick burger for lunch while lounging at the pool, particularly on sea days, without having to change from one's bathing suit to go the OVC for burger that has been sitting in a pan, only to return to the risk of losing one's lounger, is a very popular option.

The addition of a high quality burger at an extra charge is a welcome choice. However, by choosing the present location, there are two aspects lacking in addition to the relocation of the standard burger: available seating and table service.

Please rethink this.

Thanks for your consideration,

Impressively within an hour of my sending it, a person from the executive offices called me (& come to think of it, I did not include my phone #, only my CC#, so she had to look it up) to thank me for my input. Aside from the usual smoke blowing which I won't get into, she said that there is an active conversation ongoing regarding the new setup, & that concerns like the ones I and others have expressed are being actively discussed right now.

I did not bring up the Kobe/fake Kobe aspect which seems to be taking on a life of it own. My main problem is not that they added the extra charge burger, but that they made the standard burger less accessible, & that for the extra charge, there should be ample seating and table service.

Whether or not any changes result from this remain to be seen, but I'm glad that they responded so quickly. I'll give them a E for effort.