Equinox Mast Grill Now Extra Cost

TommyD3

I does seem that Celebrity is sending the clear message that if you want the "good" food, you're going to have to pay for it.

I can't off the top of my head think of a major product or service offering that does NOT now have an upgraded/fee based version other the OVC. MDR has steaks/etc. And to help create the 'value add' for the fee based product/service you eventually have to dumb down the free/included version. Then the apparent strategy is to eliminate items and move them upstream to an even higher cost alternative fee based offering or lower the quality/availability/accessibility of the free/included product/service or to create value gap to allow for the raising of prices for the fee based product/service.

We used to call this the 'bulimic' strategy. Just shove it down their throats till they puke. They raise current prices, begin to charge for things, cut services/product features, etc. and my guess is use incremental analysis to see where doing these things continues to provide a net profit.

I would love to see them become 'world class' as a cruise line in the product and service presentation/delivery and make a great profit! First though, become a world class product/service company, then maintaining that level of service/product raise prices.

I now almost always have to call customer service to get resolution to website issues, I have been very fortunate that I have never had to deal with a canceled cruise and they seem to have issues with rollout of product/services.

I actually think they are good at many things, very good as some things and very bad at some critical things. I hate using the website and I dislike all the pricing schemes. It must be the nature of the business. Guess we like to focus on the bad?

Edited by shipshape sam

The beef is comprised of an American Kobe Style Beef blend with Dry Aged Rib Cap.

Thank-you, not realIy Kobe Beef then. You might want to get your lawyers to check any adverts in the UK claiming its Kobe Beef, UK Consumer law is quite tight on this sort of thing.

The Prime Beef you use, that is USDA Prime Beef? we seem to have opened a can of worms, no pun intended.

The people here on CC are very few percentage of people cruising. If you are on one of the ships with the new Burger Bar and see "KOBE BEEF" you are being mislead and it is false advertising, since it is not KOBE BEEF. American style Kobe Beef with dry aged rib cap is not Kobe Beef.

Personally and as with most of the people I sail with, understand what Kobe beef is or can be, as such we would not think it was 100%.

For us, not false or mis-leading. We would ask for the composition of the burger at the stand, then decide if it was worth it. Personally, I Am vegan, yet my spouse is not and I know they would want one, so I would still ask about its' composition to be clear at the 'point of purchase' what I was buying and not speculating just on what a sign says. Just the way I Am, and from the postings here others are not, which is fine, too.

Not being mis-led, yet being led to ask more questions and not blindly accepting what is written or posted, as we all have encountered situations similar to this, had we asked a critical question at point of purchase then there would be no issues after purchase.

I fully accept that many people do not know this or more exactly Kobe beef and its' characteristics, just the term and what it is supposed to be.

Popcorn is now finished here.... ;p

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
Wording

Are you sure it is false and customers are mis-led? From reading here, many believe one way or another and are holding firm in their thoughts/beliefs on this topic, so they are not mis-led, it appears.

bon voyage

Yes, it could be in the UK . Celebrity markets its products in the UK and sails from the UK. This is the equivalent of telling people your giving them Champagne and then serving up sparkling Perry, not allowed.

People who know about food are being misled. At $10 they think they're getting a superb deal on what of the worlds finest meat products. Except they're not getting that. All celebrity need to do is say it is a Kobe style burger or Wagyu style burger problem solved.

They seem to compound the problem and potentially make it more misleading by stating that the Hot Dog is Kobe style, clearly differentiating the Hot Dog from the Burger, which we now know is also Kobe style.

Edited by DYKWIA

That must be too much to put on the menu so Celebrity shortened it to Kobe Beef! Not cool....

They found the space to be honest about the Hot Dog. Advertise a $10 Hot Dog with imitation Kobe and all of a sudden the $10 "Kobe Burger" looks like the bargain of the century, except as we now know it is also imitation Kobe.

The beef is comprised of an American Kobe Style Beef blend with Dry Aged Rib Cap.

Thanks for clarifying what myself and some others knew to be the case. Please have Celebrity change the menus to reflect this; at least in the US labeling something as "Kobe beef" on a menu is not legal (if it is not one of the very few restaurants actually serving Kobe beef). While "Kobe Style" and "American Kobe" are silly, meaningless terms when used by restaurants, at least they are legal and are not false advertising.

IMHO even better than referring to the meat as "American Kobe Style Beef" would be referring to them by their USDA grade - i.e. if the meat is truly dry-aged USDA prime - call it that! That is something definitely worthy of an up-charge and I would gladly shell out $10 next cruise to try such a burger. When a restaurant calls something "American Kobe Style Beef" it does not provide any information regarding the quality of the meat; it could in fact be anything - even cutter or canner grade.

Dear Celebrity

If all this Kobe / Not Kobe / Imitation Kobe / Kobe style all seems like a lot of hoo hah about nothing maybe ask your CEO if they leafed through the Lexus Brochure and ordered the top of the range Lexus LS as their next company car because Lexus promised you a good deal, how happy they'd be if on delivery they were handed the keys to a Toyota - to be told "you never really thought you were going to get a Lexus at that price did you, and hey its a sort of Lexus anyway" I'm guessing they would not be happy and would perhaps feel they had been conned.

It's really disappointing that Celebrity are charging fee for burgers on Equinox. We were looking forward to trying the Mast Grill again on our 11 night forthcoming Equinox cruise on 25th September especially as we paid for a transatlantic airfare from Ireland to Miami. Shame on you Celebrity! Have cruised 11 times previously. Last time for me cruising with Celebrity in light of this new charge!

The best burger at sea is Guys Burger Joint on Carnival.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

The Mast Grill has been a favorite of ours for the 14 years we've sailed Celebrity. Just another con on the pros/con list of sailing Celebrity. Cons outweigh the pros enough that our decision to move on to other vacations makes it look like an even better decision. The only true pros left are the beautiful ships and friendly staff, everything else is average to being a con, and that doesn't justify us spending our hard earned money. I'm sure they'll survive without us.

We feel the same way. We loved cruising 15 years ago, but it seems almost every aspect has been on a downward spiral. We tried Royal, Carnival, Princess, Norwegian hopping to find one that was different, and in fact, they are all the same. Its really sad how "greed" ruined an industry, at least for the mainstream cruiselines. I'm sure charging for burgers won't be where it ends either.

We cancelled our October cruise and I think were done with cruising for now. Going to go on some land-tour adventures instead. We'll get to really see a location instead of just stopping there from 9am to 3pm.

I does seem that Celebrity is sending the clear message that if you want the "good" food, you're going to have to pay for it.

I was on the Equinox about a month ago and never paid for any food, and I definitely agree with you, the food was not good. Other than maybe one MDR dinner, there wasn't anything you couldn't find at Luby's Cafateria.

By the way, if you fall for the Mast Grill "Kobe Beef," make sure you keep your receipts. Just Google "Kobe Beef Lawsuit" to see how it will likely turn out.

They found the space to be honest about the Hot Dog. Advertise a $10 Hot Dog with imitation Kobe and all of a sudden the $10 "Kobe Burger" looks like the bargain of the century, except as we now know it is also imitation Kobe.

Instead of using the word imitation, they should use the term authentic faux Kobe Beef. Probably most people won't understand what it really means.

Replacing Mast Grill is our new Top Deck Burger Bar which offers gourmet burgers and hot dogs at a la carte pricing. Top Deck Burger Bar will be serving gourmet burgers such as an 8 oz. dry aged Kobe Beef burger served on a Homemade Brioche Bun. We have moved our complimentary burgers into the Oceanview Café.

Horrible idea!

Please do not come back with "Our guests have asked us for fake Kobe beef burgers without table service and limited seating by our pools"!

Bo, it is 0% Kobe beef and I say that with 100% certainty. And it is an issue; it is like a watch vendor selling and calling something a Rolex that is a far inferior knockoff.

You are talking about beef that is imported from Kobe Japan, correct?

In Japan Celebrity offers tours to eat Kobe beef and the tours aren't over $300.00. But maybe you are talking about the cost at a restaurant in the US or other western country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Horrible idea!

Please do not come back with "Our guests have asked us for fake Kobe beef burgers without table service and limited seating by our pools"!

They'll only do that if they can find the place on the Celebrity web site where they can copy and paste it. hahahaha But you already knew that.

Personally and as with most of the people I sail with, understand what Kobe beef is or can be, as such we would not think it was 100%.

For us, not false or mis-leading. We would ask for the composition of the burger at the stand, then decide if it was worth it. Personally, I Am vegan, yet my spouse is not and I know they would want one, so I would still ask about its' composition to be clear at the 'point of purchase' what I was buying and not speculating just on what a sign says. Just the way I Am, and from the postings here others are not, which is fine, too.

Not being mis-led, yet being led to ask more questions and not blindly accepting what is written or posted, as we all have encountered situations similar to this, had we asked a critical question at point of purchase then there would be no issues after purchase.

I fully accept that many people do not know this or more exactly Kobe beef and its' characteristics, just the term and what it is supposed to be.

Popcorn is now finished here.... ;p

bon voyage

It is irrelevant of who you sail with, if an item is sold as a particular type, then that's what it has to be. Under UK law, you cannot call something that it is most definitely not. Look at all the controversy over beef burgers that were actually horse meat. You shouldn't have to question if a pork sausage contains pork. So everywhere you eat, you ask a whole range of questions to ascertain whether the vender is telling you the truth :o - as you put it, 'critical questions'? One would have thought that was unnecessary on a 'modern luxury' line :confused:.

And as to the repeated phrase of the 'free' burgers now being moved to the OVC, none of the burgers are 'free' - you have paid for the cost of those itiems in your initial cruise price. Exactly the same as having the 'free' beverage package :rolleyes:. It's a business with shareholders that insist on the company making a profit. More wants more - unfortunately, it's only the bottom line that counts anymore.

I'm quite sure that X covered their A**** against law suites in any country that they serve. They aren't stupid in that way. They are stupid in thinking that people will pay $10.00 for a hot dog. I don't care what it's made from. I don't pay that much at an NFL game ore a major league game.I'm booked on a Celebrity cruise now. I won't switch to HAL because I'm not asleep at 9P.M. A free hamburger won't change my mind. I can also get Guy's Burgers on Carnival for free. Whoopee.

I'm quite sure that X covered their A**** against law suites in any country that they serve. They aren't stupid in that way. They are stupid in thinking that people will pay $10.00 for a hot dog. I don't care what it's made from. I don't pay that much at an NFL game ore a major league game.I'm booked on a Celebrity cruise now. I won't switch to HAL because I'm not asleep at 9P.M. A free hamburger won't change my mind. I can also get Guy's Burgers on Carnival for free. Whoopee.

You mean the way Fuddruckers checked it out... https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/closed-settlements/351608-california-fuddruckers-kobe-beef-class-action-settlement/

Or SBE Group... https://www.eater.com/2014/8/21/6167255/sbe-group-settles-class-action-kobe-beef-lawsuit

Actually only 8 restaurants in the US are licensed to sell Kobe beef, and none sell it at retail.

I was totally wrong and the Equinox apparently will be charging. My husband and I refuse to make payment when we're almost spending $5,500 or $6,000 each for damn Hamburg. I'm in a wetsuit I want to place where I can go without drying off and getting a Hamburg. Shame on Celebrity. if this looks like a pattern we have many other ships from which to choose. Too bad celebrity