Is it worth it to upgrade?

jayde43

Hi there,

We are going on the Solstice around the Great Barrier Reef in January and we are thinking of upgrading our cabin from a Veranda to a Concierge cabin. Is it worth the extra $$$ ? Thanks in advance :D

What is tempting you to upgrade? Bargain price? Particular benefit? I believe that the cabins are the same size on Solstice. The only thing that would tempt me, if the price difference was small, is the footstools on the balcony

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

What is tempting you to upgrade? Bargain price? Particular benefit? I believe that the cabins are the same size on Solstice. The only thing that would tempt me, if the price difference was small, is the footstools on the balcony

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

Agree, unless you do not like your current location or need the extra points, I wouldn't bother as the cabins are all the same size. Now if it was M class, that would be another story :D.

I agree with suekay in that you will get footstools on you deck to use, however life jackets do the trick for me if I feel I need my feet up. However, if the price is doable, by upgrading, you will earn more Captains Club points in a concierge cabin as opposed to a standard veranda cabin. Regular veranda cabin earns 3 points a day while concierge/aqua class earn 5 I believe. On a 15 night cruise that can mean a big difference, especially if you are near a new threshold to a higher award level. Hope this helps!

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. It's going to cost AUD $1688 more for the cabin, so it's quite steep. I was under the impression the cabin & balcony were bigger. So that's definitely something to think about. It's 12 night cruise so the extra points will be nice. We don't have to let our TA know till Monday so will ponder it over the weekend :confused:

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. It's going to cost AUD $1688 more for the cabin, so it's quite steep. I was under the impression the cabin & balcony were bigger. So that's definitely something to think about. It's 12 night cruise so the extra points will be nice. We don't have to let our TA know till Monday so will ponder it over the weekend :confused:

There is an embarkation day lunch in MDR just for Concierge Class, if you want to avoid the first day buffet madness! Priority check-in for Concierge may or may not be much quicker... the afternoon canapés delivered to your stateroom and the bottle of bubbly on embarkation day may not justify the extra cost....

I would not pay extra on an S class ship for a CC cabin. The cabins are the same size as the regular verandas, the special check in is not so special, the bottle of sparkling wine is something you can buy ashore and bring with you, the afternoon "savories" are hardly worth the kind of money you are talking about when you can walk down to the Windjammer/Ocean View and get any snacks you want. I would save that money and use for an extra snorkle/scuba trip on the reef or some specialty dinners.

Way too much $$ for the extras that concierge provides! I would have to say NO WAY to that one. You can actually find some larger balconies in the regular veranda cabins. 1A categories as well as the other cabins in the same area on deck 6 (categories 2C and 2D) will have a few cabins on the hump with larger balconies.

If it were only $50 more pp, I might go for the concierge ... but no way would I spend more for it ...especially for what they are currently charging.

And ... remember this, if all works the same in Australia as here in the US, after final payment, there might be some drops in other categories where you can take advantage of better overall costs. If you've already paid more, they won't give your money back. If you are happy enough with your veranda cabin, I would keep it and look for price drops in the higher categories later down the line. I've taken advantage of some fabulous pricing and upgrades this way. I also would consider AQ before concierge ... as I love eating in Blu and using the Persian Gardens and relaxation lounge.

I'm a fan of Concierge class and usually book either Concierge or Aqua, but for that much of a difference I'd book a standard verandah and use the extra cash for something more significant. The points are nice, but you can buy most of the perks they'd gain you for that much cash!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We would only consider Concierge on a S-Class ship...if it were priced around the same as a regular balcony in a decent location. Ironically, we have a Concierge Cabin on an upcoming X cruise....but it was because a promotion made it nearly the same price as a regular balcony.

Hank

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. It's going to cost AUD $1688 more for the cabin, so it's quite steep. I was under the impression the cabin & balcony were bigger. :confused:

Way too much! The cabin will be the same 194 sq Ft

The added CC points are not worth that much increase.

We would not pay that to move up to Aqua and Blu.

For me the perks of Concierge Class are minor (especially on S-Class with room sizes being the same); for a cruise that length I'd consider upgrading if the cost was $100 per/person more, but no way would I even vaguely consider upgrading at the price you are being quoted.

Let's see what are the pluses. You get 1/2 bottle of sparkling wine when you get to your cabin; you get a served lunch when you embark, if yo you are there during the limited hours it's served; you get a footstool; you get (arguably) better robes, towels sheets (not sure that's even true any more); you get a different color key card; and you get 5 points a day vs 3 points a day towards captain club. Put it all together and it's worth a max of about $50 a person to us. On the other hand, we are in concierge on our next cruise because the sale we caught gave two perks instead of one....and that's of course worth at least $300 or $150 pp.

Is it worth $675 per person to upgrade...no way!

Hi there,

We are going on the Solstice around the Great Barrier Reef in January and we are thinking of upgrading our cabin from a Veranda to a Concierge cabin. Is it worth the extra $$$ ? Thanks in advance :D

We use concierge most of the time because of the perks we get OFF the ship (5 points per day and lunch in MDR on departure day), not on. As for the veranda and concierge cabins there's usually no difference in size of the room or the balcony. I wouldn't pay $$$ extra, might consider $$ extra but I would jump at $.

For half of this cost you can stay in the veranda cabin, but dine in a specialty restaurant every night. :D

Thank you so much everyone. I'm not interested in upgrading anymore would prefer to spend the money in Tiffanys.

The decision isn't just mine but my best friends but she's having a read through here. So she'll see all your posts :)

Think if we go on an M class ship in the future my choice will be different ��

Happy sailing ️⛴️��

Not at that price difference! On M-class the room is slightly large than a regular balcony, so it is worth a little bit more than on S-class, but maybe it is worth another $100 - still not even remotely worth $1,700. Only the C1's are worth significantly more than regular balconies on M-Class - those have massive balconies - several times larger than standard, but only M-Class C1, not C2 or C3. Those are worth a few hundred extra if one plans on using the balcony a lot.

And....you can bring your own footstool: They can be purchased on Amazon and you inflate them as much or as little as you want, fit in the bottom of your suitcase. Made like beach ball except square.

Even M-class, for that sizable price difference the cabin size is not that much bigger to warrant the cost IMHO. This is coming from someone who has booked Concierge of all but 1 of our Celebrity cruises.

Have to agree with the posts above that at the price difference quoted, it is not worth it. However, we have actually benefited from priority tendering and seating in MDR. I'm surprised its such a big difference, maybe there are sizeable block bookings at play? it maybe worthwhile to monitor if there is a price drop at some point.

There is an embarkation day lunch in MDR just for Concierge Class, if you want to avoid the first day buffet madness! Priority check-in for Concierge may or may not be much quicker... the afternoon canapés delivered to your stateroom and the bottle of bubbly on embarkation day may not justify the extra cost....

definitely not worth that much....MDR lunch is nice but not worth $1600! Don't know how much you'll get at Tiffany's but at least it will last more than 12 days....and IMHO the canapes were horrible so they don't enter into the equation for me.

definitely not worth that much....MDR lunch is nice but not worth $1600! Don't know how much you'll get at Tiffany's but at least it will last more than 12 days....and IMHO the canapes were horrible so they don't enter into the equation for me.

Brilliant bit of perspective there. The madness in the buffet is not that bad. And there is also the aqua spa cafe and I think the mast grill. Or have a leisurely late breakfast and then wait for dinner.