Snap fare gone AND my fare went down this morning!

DaveOKC

This is really getting crazy. I have been looking at a cruise for next March and made a note of the non-refundable fare under the SNAP promotion.

This morning I see that the SNAP promotion is gone, so I rechecked the fare and it went DOWN by $100 pp and it appears to be fully refundable. Of course this does not make sense, so I would advise anyone looking to book to review the cruise today, as sometimes HAL figures these things out after the fact.

I could be wrong, but is suspect that whole non-refundable program may be a test or a work in progress to determine how acceptable it is.

Personally don't like it. Makes me hesitant to book. If others feel this way, that can't be good for bookings.

IMO

I could be wrong, but is suspect that whole non-refundable program may be a test or a work in progress to determine how acceptable it is.

Personally don't like it. Makes me hesitant to book. If others feel this way, that can't be good for bookings.

IMO

I suspect that you are correct. I would be surprised if bookings, particularly for the long voyages, were down. What reasonable person would plunk down $5 - 7K in a non-refundable for a cruise 18 months away - particularly as, at least some HAL reps were telling them, the CPP will not reimburse the in the event of a cancellation.

It has been an interesting experience to follow the price on a particular sailing. Up and down like a yo yo or perhaps a game of bingo --what's the winning number to make customers book?

I suspect that you are correct. I would be surprised if bookings, particularly for the long voyages, were down. What reasonable person would plunk down $5 - 7K in a non-refundable for a cruise 18 months away - particularly as, at least some HAL reps were telling them, the CPP will not reimburse the in the event of a cancellation.

Third party insurance would cover it. And, cruise insurance is one of the most profitable things that a cruise line can sell you. They're basically shooting themselves in the foot. In 25+ years of cruising, HAL's insurance was the best deal exactly once. We don't cruise every year, so my results might not apply to everyone.

SNAP Fare or not, believe it or not, but just checked our fare for the 22-day Koningsdam Mediterranean next September in a guaranteed Vista Suite and the cost went UP BY NEARLY $7000 (i.e $3500 each). :D:D:D Explore 4 or not, rest assured that we will be drinking very nice wines :D:D:D

Third party insurance would cover it. And, cruise insurance is one of the most profitable things that a cruise line can sell you. They're basically shooting themselves in the foot. In 25+ years of cruising, HAL's insurance was the best deal exactly once. We don't cruise every year, so my results might not apply to everyone.

According to the CPP underwriting agency, so would the CPP, as plainly stated in the policy. Contrary to several of the HAL reps.

IMO

The cruise lines are always trying things to get bookings.

Some passengers don't like paying gratuities, so every now and then, there is a promo with gratuities included.

Some passengers like 'free drinks', so every now and then, there is a promo with drinks included.

Some passengers like low deposits, so every so often, there are promos with low deposits.

The cruise lines keep changing the promos to attract different passengers just like a fisherman always changing his lures to catch more fish.

I think we are looking at a "work in progress" when it comes to non-refundable deposits and SNAP Fares. Several cruise lines are wrestling with the non-refundable deposit issue and its anyone's guess what we will see a few months from now. Personally, we have no problem with the concept of a non-refundable deposit...except that it seems to take away the ability to "reprice" a cruise if the fares go down...or perhaps change a cabin category. My experience tells me not to touch these non-refundable things until we see how it all ends. But there is so much strange behavior in how folks book cruises, that we suspect HAL (and the other lines) now try to float new ideas....and see what happens. There is just no predicting how the cruising public reacts to changes...until you make the change.

Consider the HAL PCC and the loyalty that many show to booking direct with a PCC. I can show folks how to save 7-10% (and possibly more) by booking with some cruise agencies....but there are many HAL folks who will say, "we are loyal to our PCC, "we like to maintain control," etc etc. Saving money (sometimes thousands of dollars) does not seem to matter. So we assume that some of those folks will have no problem plunking down a large non-refundable deposit...even if it costs them more money.

Hank

Consider the HAL PCC and the loyalty that many show to booking direct with a PCC. I can show folks how to save 7-10% (and possibly more) by booking with some cruise agencies....but there are many HAL folks who will say, "we are loyal to our PCC, "we like to maintain control," etc etc. Saving money (sometimes thousands of dollars) does not seem to matter. So we assume that some of those folks will have no problem plunking down a large non-refundable deposit...even if it costs them more money.

Hank

One does not always live better by saving money. Look at the devastation big box stores has brought to small towns and factories across America.

With private insurance which covers any medical reasons for cancellation we booked a 30 day return San Diego to Peru trip in '19 with a sizeable non refundable deposit -- not under the snap offer. It's still non refundable and prices on our cabin are up $1 000 each! But it seems to be a more or less unique/different itinerary.

Ruth

My debate on whether or not to contact my PCC was resolved by her. She called me! She added the E4 promotion to my Rotterdam cruise. Price dropped 40 pp, each got and extra 100 OBC, beverage package and dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My debate on whether or not to contact my PCC was resolved by her. She called me! She added the E4 promotion to my Rotterdam cruise. Price dropped 40 pp, each got and extra 100 OBC, beverage package and dinner in the Pinnacle Grill.

Is this with the E4 sale that is going to be starting?

Yes it is.

Thank you. I put a hold on a cruise the other day. My TA did not put the deposit yet because she is waiting for the E4 sale to start. So, I am wishing for a better deal.. With the E4 package, does HAL give OBC if I don't want the drink package?

Thank you. I put a hold on a cruise the other day. My TA did not put the deposit yet because she is waiting for the E4 sale to start. So, I am wishing for a better deal.. With the E4 package, does HAL give OBC if I don't want the drink package?

I hope you have good luck on getting better pricing. Many cruises jump in price when E4 is added. If you do not want the beverage package it might be best to request the fare without E4 added. Many have received a much better deal doing that.

In my case I got lucky with a small price drop with added perks.

It has been several years since I cruised HAL. As Celbrity's prices keep going up, I am looking at other cruise lines. What is the E4 promo that starts Aug. 1?

It is the Explor4 (or Explore4) package that HAL has been offering the past several years, on and off. Basically its a free drinks program, but includes other perks as well.

Do a SEARCH on this board for Explor4 and you will get plenty of goo details on it.

I hope you have good luck on getting better pricing. Many cruises jump in price when E4 is added. If you do not want the beverage package it might be best to request the fare without E4 added. Many have received a much better deal doing that.

In my case I got lucky with a small price drop with added perks.

Thanks for the info. I sail a lot on Princess and if you don't want the drink package when offered, they give you OBC. Being I don't drink any booze and don't drink coffee requesting a fare without E4 might be better. At least I have a fare on hold.

HAL website is still showing SNAP Fare pricing today for our cruise Oct 20 '17. And it's a few hundred $pp lower than it has been - I can't figure that out but it is. It's still a lot higher (almost $500pp) than we paid in May through a TA, with a refundable (albeit very large) deposit. We're inside final payment now so most of this is only for my amusement :) We'll see if the prices go up next week and if E4 becomes available for that itinerary - I doubt it, not much availability showing on the big box website but that's always a bit hard to tell. It doesn't seem like they are having any trouble selling that cruise. m--