My RCL/Oasis newbie dumb questions thread.

Ok, swore for a long time I wouldn't do the "floating mall" ships, but NCL annoyed me enough that we're on a break for now, and an Oasis western sailing lines up well with an Orlando trip I have scheduled.

I've been on NCL, DCL, Princess and X. For almost all of those I either had access to the solo studio lounge or a concierge lounge. Now I find myself stumped with a relatively basic question: where can I fill my water bottle? I'm used to filling it from dispensers in a given lounge, or at the buffet. (And yes, I always fill it with a clean glass, not directly.) But I'm reading Gambee's Oasis review where he says there's basically only one ice machine on the whole ship (due to the freestyle machines I guess?) but more importantly he also shows a picture of a buffet drink dispenser, which seems to only have those flavored waters and insta-tea.

I've tried doing some google searches but I keep ending up on discussions of bringing bottled water aboard. I'm fine with ship's water, I'm just confused about whether it's available on the buffet.

Next question, for those who also sail out of PoM, are there shuttle services similar to SAS/Jiffy Jeff who do MCO runs? Haven't quite figured out how I'm getting back to MCO yet.

Finally, I'd take any recommendations people have for quiet, shaded or indoor spots I can get away from the crowds and write. Gambee's review is giving me a tiny dose of buyer's remorse (yes I am within PIF) but I have to keep reminding myself that Gambee likes the sun and the busier public venues, and is clearly more of a people person than I am. :) (in other words, I'm aware that just because he tends to take pictures of crowded areas, it doesn't mean the whole ship is crowded.) I'm just trying to figure out what I'll use as my stand-in for the NCL thermal suites. I thought it might be the Solarium, but looking at pictures now I see it's not the same deal at all (person-to-resource ratio is far worse, it seems ... I guess I was expecting something more like the lovely adult pool deck on X).

I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions soon.

You can most definitely get cups of ice water at the buffet.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know! (Even tried searching "windjammer beverage station" pictures but I keep getting hits for other cruise lines instead (X, Disney, etc).)

You can get a glass of ice water at any bar or food location.

There are plenty of places throughout the ship to just sit and people watch, both inside and out. Central Park has comfy areas to sit and read. Solarium pool as seating as well as sun loungers. You won't have any difficulty finding a spot - just depends on what you are looking for.

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Follow up beverage question. I'm still reading Gambee's review, and I just found this pic from what I think is the windjammer:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/fet123/media/cGF0aDoxIE9hc2lzL0RheSA3L09hc2lzIG9mIHRoZSBzZWFzIGRheSA3LTQwMV96cHNkcHhhMDRwMi5qcGc=/?ref=

I guess that's why you guys are phrasing it as "you can get a glass of water", rather than there being a water dispenser?

But more importantly--I suppose I couldn't be so lucky that the colored beverage on the left is real iced tea?

Picture looks like Windjammer. Perhaps a better way to answer your question is to say that tap water (the glasses of ice water that you see), hot tea, iced tea, juice (mainly at breakfast; not fresh squeezed), lemonade, usually some type of flavored water or punch, basic coffee, hot chocolate, white and chocolate milk, are all available at no extra charge. You can fill a sports bottle, but are required to use a glass. You shouldn't put the bottle up to the sprocket because of hygiene concerns.

You can also ask your room steward to make sure you have ice, usually brings twice daily, and then you can use bathroom tap water.

Follow up beverage question. I'm still reading Gambee's review, and I just found this pic from what I think is the windjammer:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/fet123/media/cGF0aDoxIE9hc2lzL0RheSA3L09hc2lzIG9mIHRoZSBzZWFzIGRheSA3LTQwMV96cHNkcHhhMDRwMi5qcGc=/?ref=

I guess that's why you guys are phrasing it as "you can get a glass of water", rather than there being a water dispenser?

But more importantly--I suppose I couldn't be so lucky that the colored beverage on the left is real iced tea?

Yes it is iced tea. You can also get water/iced tea from Park Café during the day (until about 6 p.m.), and 24 hours per day from Promenade Café.

Our favorite "quiet" place is deck 5 aft by the jogging track. There are also numerous lounges around the ship that are quiet during the day. [emoji846]

Picture looks like Windjammer. Perhaps a better way to answer your question is to say that tap water (the glasses of ice water that you see), hot tea, iced tea, juice (mainly at breakfast; not fresh squeezed), lemonade, usually some type of flavored water or punch, basic coffee, hot chocolate, white and chocolate milk, are all available at no extra charge. You can fill a sports bottle, but are required to use a glass. You shouldn't put the bottle up to the sprocket because of hygiene concerns.

You can also ask your room steward to make sure you have ice, usually brings twice daily, and then you can use bathroom tap water.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Is the iced tea real (brewed) iced tea? I'd assumed that didn't happen on any ship buffet.

Is the iced tea real (brewed) iced tea? I'd assumed that didn't happen on any ship buffet.

Some people will tell you that it tastes fine; I think that it is awful.

Suggestion: Make your own ice tea with tea bags and then pour over ice.

:)

There's an ice machine in the Park Cafe. There's also one at the wipeout cafe on the pool deck. You can get ice from the freestyle machines too without having a soda package.

For quiet, I also used the aft spot on the running track. The solarium's not so bad with earphones [emoji39]. Central Park can be pretty quiet, too.

Sent from my H1623 using Tapatalk

With other cruise lines, you can get your own water from the dispensers.

With RCI, they pre-pour your water/ice tea/lemonade/strawberry kiwi drink at the buffet for you.

32169875840_7a53393d1f_h.jpg

If you just want cups of ice, you can ask the worker behind the counter for them.

32426515351_ce1a8ca949_h.jpg

Unless my memory is failing me, I believe most of the outdoor bars have a self serve water dispensers right on the bar so bartenders don't have keep up with water demands.

Gregg

Unless my memory is failing me, I believe most of the outdoor bars have a self serve water dispensers right on the bar so bartenders don't have keep up with water demands.

Gregg

I must have a failing memory too, because the ony places I see a self-serve water dispenser are places with food, like Cafe Promenade, Sorrentos, Park Cafe, etc.

I must have a failing memory too, because the ony places I see a self-serve water dispenser are places with food, like Cafe Promenade, Sorrentos, Park Cafe, etc.

I could have the wrong ship but it was definitely on Royal. That's all I've sailed the last two years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

On The Adventure last October they had self serve water at The Solarium Bar, I could not tell you if any other bar had them but they did in Solarium.

Places I got self-serve water on Oasis, either from a pre-poured glass or a dispenser:

Windjammer, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Wipeout Cafe, every bar on the pool deck. You can also ask for a glass of water at any other bar.

We just got off Oasis last week, arguably the height of summer, and we didn't have any problems with crowds or noise. Central Park is lovely and peaceful 24 hours a day, and there were plenty of other spots to just sit and relax. I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't even class it as a floating mall, there's only a few shops and they're closed half the time.

There is free tea available, and free ice available. Make your own :)

Some people will tell you that it tastes fine; I think that it is awful.

Suggestion: Make your own ice tea with tea bags and then pour over ice.

:)

But other than plain water it is about the only thing to drink that doesn't taste sickening sweet.

The water dispensers seem to be becoming much more available. On Freedom this past March they were available at Squeeze on the pool deck as well as the Solarium Bar and maybe other places that I didn't notice.

There is really no reason to need to carry bottles of water about the ship..you can get ice water ANYWHERE!

It is convenient to carry water. Many times I am up in the Viking Crown Lounge reading and there is no one tending the bar there until later in the day. My stainless steel water bottle holds more than a glass, and it stays ice cold and doesn't "sweat".

Regarding your other question, the easiest way to get between Orlando and Miami is a rental car. In our case renting at MCO, keeping car at Disney and dropping off in Ft Lauderdale. Of course in our case we are staying at the hotel with Avis closest to the port. Check with the Florida Departures board for advice for the Miami port.