Why does this whole drinks package business have to be so complicated?

one rule I did find odd was this, I could get an alcoholic drink AND a bottle of water with my sea pass card , BUT they wouldnt let me get just 2 bottles of water hmmmmm

Not a big deal, we could just walk over to the next bar and get a second bottle of water.

one rule I did find odd was this, I could get an alcoholic drink AND a bottle of water with my sea pass card , BUT they wouldnt let me get just 2 bottles of water hmmmmm

I am thinking that they considered the bottle of water a "chaser" whereas two bottles would been for more than one person.

What is so complicated about the package? It covers drinks up to a certain price. Above that price you pay the difference. Sorry, I see that as pretty simple.

Does RCI publish drink prices on their web site or do we have to guess what might be covered and what might not?

Does RCI publish drink prices on their web site or do we have to guess what might be covered and what might not?

No published drink prices. Best you can hope for is someone who photographs the prices and posts.

Here is a recent thread from Jewel:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53626586#post53626586

Note that prices can vary ship to ship, and even from bar to bar on the same ship.

I know this post is about alcohol, but what about the soda package? I also think that's expensive. What does a glass of pop cost?

If you don't have a drink package, soda is only sold by the can. A can is now over $4 and there are limited flavors available. A soda package is worth it if you are sailing a ship that has Coke Freestyle machines and you like choices.

The website would never be able to keep up with the changing prices and as stated before, pricing varies from ship to ship, sailing to sailing, and even bar to bar on the same ship and same sailing. I am not defending RCI's practices but the package itself is not complicated. Once you buy it covers all drinks up to a certain price. That it is easy. It is all the other "stuff" that is a bit of an annoyance.

No published drink prices. Best you can hope for is someone who photographs the prices and posts.

Here is a recent thread from Jewel:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=53626586#post53626586

Note that prices can vary ship to ship, and even from bar to bar on the same ship.

So one is being asked to pay for something without full knowledge what is being bought.

The website would never be able to keep up with the changing prices and as stated before, pricing varies from ship to ship, sailing to sailing, and even bar to bar on the same ship and same sailing. I am not defending RCI's practices but the package itself is not complicated. Once you buy it covers all drinks up to a certain price. That it is easy. It is all the other "stuff" that is a bit of an annoyance.

I recognize that RCI uses chipmunks for IT, but the excuse is lame. There are dozens of merchants who can not only post current pricing but also current inventory across the continent in many more than 25 premises. This is not a difficult thing to do.

So one is being asked to pay for something without full knowledge what is being bought.

Correct, that is typically the way that RC likes to work. That way they can change terms whenever they want.

$446.04 pp including gratuity 9 day on Anthem....will see what onboard price is with my 30% d+ discount which on every other ship has been even less than purchasing online and we have never had a problem repurchasing it onboard any ship,

I recognize that RCI uses chipmunks for IT, but the excuse is lame. There are dozens of merchants who can not only post current pricing but also current inventory across the continent in many more than 25 premises. This is not a difficult thing to do.

I completely get what you are saying. But if RCI posted prices they would then be somewhat committed to consistency across the fleet. Heck, often times prices are not even posted on menues because if they were it would be harder to change pricing at a whim or from bar to bar on the ship. I can just imagine a menu having one price and the bartender charging a higher price. RCI acts in a way to not tie their hands and to be able to charge whatever they want, and to change what they charge whenever they want, with the customer having little recourse to challenge anything.

So in regard to the package, yes it is not completely up front as far as being informed because you don't know what the actual cost of a drink would be if you purchased it on the ship. I don't think RCI even knows now what the cost will be at the time that you might actually buy the drink. The odd thing is I have never heard someone ask a bartender what the price of a drink they are about to order will cost. There aren't many situations in life where I buy something not knowing the cost before I sign the credit card receipt.

What is so complicated about the package? It covers drinks up to a certain price. Above that price you pay the difference. Sorry, I see that as pretty simple.

I predict many, many pages of opinions, facts, pricing schemes and "dynamic" explanations of why you might not be correct!

*grabs popcorn*

I freely admit that I may be seeing complications where they don't exist.

It's just a pity that there is no alternative for folks like us, where none of the packages fits because our small spend includes a mix of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks and coffees. It would be really great to be able to have the option of a pre-purchased credit for our drinks that would give us even a tiny discount on our overall shared spend.

Sadly, since our most expensive drink is usually DH's beer with dinner I'm not sure that even the 10-drink card would work for us. I guess it would depend on how early in the cruise it was offered. :(

Plus, with the beverage package you can't buy a bucket of beer.

If you don't have a drink package, soda is only sold by the can. A can is now over $4 and there are limited flavors available. A soda package is worth it if you are sailing a ship that has Coke Freestyle machines and you like choices.

$4 for a can of soda? Yikes!! Last I knew it was $2.50. Do they still let you bring on your own soda?

This is interesting to me. We are taking our first cruise in a few months and I feel like there are hidden costs all over the place. I bought the drink packages for me and my husband. I thought that that covers all of our alcoholic drinks. Is this not the case. He is primarily a beer drinker and I am wine drinker. Are we going to end up paying for drinks anyway?

This is interesting to me. We are taking our first cruise in a few months and I feel like there are hidden costs all over the place. I bought the drink packages for me and my husband. I thought that that covers all of our alcoholic drinks. Is this not the case. He is primarily a beer drinker and I am wine drinker. Are we going to end up paying for drinks anyway?

For beer, there is only one choice that is not included, which is the Chimay Blue 750ml for $20.

For wine, you would pay extra for any wine over the package limit, which is $12 -$14 depending on the ship. If you are happy with house wine, you won't pay any extra.

Generally there is a menu for wine in each of the venues that sell it , which includes the price per glass and per bottle.

Beers will all come in the price range I have found.

I completely get what you are saying. But if RCI posted prices they would then be somewhat committed to consistency across the fleet. Heck, often times prices are not even posted on menues because if they were it would be harder to change pricing at a whim or from bar to bar on the ship. I can just imagine a menu having one price and the bartender charging a higher price. RCI acts in a way to not tie their hands and to be able to charge whatever they want, and to change what they charge whenever they want, with the customer having little recourse to challenge anything.

So in regard to the package, yes it is not completely up front as far as being informed because you don't know what the actual cost of a drink would be if you purchased it on the ship. I don't think RCI even knows now what the cost will be at the time that you might actually buy the drink. The odd thing is I have never heard someone ask a bartender what the price of a drink they are about to order will cost. There aren't many situations in life where I buy something not knowing the cost before I sign the credit card receipt.

To borrow from Wimpy..........I will gladly pay you today for a drink in six months.......

I wish we could know which cruises would offer the drink card in advance.

I suspect that the ship's management does not even know that at the beginning of a cruise. I get the feeling that the offering of the drink card is based on current sales.

$4 for a can of soda? Yikes!! Last I knew it was $2.50. Do they still let you bring on your own soda?

Agreed it is more than |I think it is worth but I also know that it is no more than I would pay in a family style chain restaurant. Don't even get me started about the $4.00 coffees in the same type of restaurant.