Food Recommendations in NYC

I know this is a huge request, but we will be in NYC on Friday before cruising from Manhattan on Saturday. The plan is to be in the Times Square area and then probably go to the former World Trade Center area.

We are not gourmet food eaters and we don't want someplace over $20-25/person for the most part. Do any of you locals have any suggestions that aren't chain restaurants? I know it's hard to narrow down, but what are some of your favorites that aren't too hard to find?

Thanks!

I grew up in NY and now live in MD. When we go back to NY we eat deli and pizza. Ben's is a deli not too far from Times Square. Also, there are several places just south of Times Square where pizza is a buck a slice.

John's of Times Square for pizza. 44th between Broadway and 8th Avenue.

As stated, there are a lot of places south of Times Square and on 8th Avenue. John's is good pizza and a very interesting location (formerly a church).

I always recommend my favorite restaurant ( which I visit multiple times on every visit) which is Becco on 46st between 8 and 9th ave this is in your price range for some really good pasta and a salad , you should get a reservation a few weeks before. Several other places to eat on this block which is called restaurant row.

Near the World Trade Center you can walk to Stone Street, which is a block closed off to traffic with a variety of lower cost eateries. Across from WTC there is a high end mall with nice eateries but not very expensive. Outdoor seating too. Carmines in Times Square if you don't want pizza. Juniors cheesecake for a simple dinner and leave room for delicious cheesecake in Times Square area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Near the World Trade Center you can walk to Stone Street, which is a block closed off to traffic with a variety of lower cost eateries. Across from WTC there is a high end mall with nice eateries but not very expensive. Outdoor seating too. Carmines in Times Square if you don't want pizza. Juniors cheesecake for a simple dinner and leave room for delicious cheesecake in Times Square area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I worked in the Wall st area from late 60's to late 70's , was showing area where I worked to my wife and ran into Stone st which was 2 blocks from my old job was amazed at all the cool pubs , picnic tables in the middle of the street, also just a block from Frances tavern where Washington gave his farewell address, also a fan of Juniors which now has 2 locations in Times square

From the WTC area, depending on your timing, you can walk north along Broadway, past City Hall Park with views for the Brooklyn Bridge (... comfortable walking shoes) & continue toward Centre Street, past the court houses toward good old Chinatown (Mott Street) & Little Italty (Mulberry Street) for dinner - places open late into the early morning hours at family prices.

(Good old, been around 50+ years, still down in the basement ... favorite late night spot for comfort food in those old days) Hop Kee @ 21 Mott Street, corner of Bosco Street, opposite the Transfiguration Church (Catholic worship place for successive immigrants for centuries) - is a good place to stop in. There are several more along the block (like Wor Hop ... nothing fancy, decent food, good prices & won't break your bank account, etc.)

Further north toward Canal Street, Wonton Noodles Garden, 56 Mott Street - another institution since the late 1970's - lunch or dinner @ $10 or less per person ... Along Little Italy, dining mostly on Mulberry Street these days - still have price fixed lunch & dinner specials - pick/choose & order carefully and it will meet your budget.

Another block west of Mulberry Street, Baxter Street south of Canal Street, Vietnamese dining options - well priced ... probably something not available from your hometown, unless you know where to find them & go.

They are all within a 4 to 5 blocks radius, 15 to 25 minutes of easy walking from the WTC area, where on Friday evening ... not a lot of happenings (as the business crowds leave downtown) and with your prices in mind. Use Yelp's site to do a little lookup on menu, prices & choices - the reviews are a mixed bag as a general guide.

"Ellen's Stardust Diner", a 50's themed diner where the wait staff actually performs for you!

Yes, when they're not being fired or suing the management:

https://ny.eater.com/2017/7/17/15982134/ellens-stardust-diner-server-lawsuit-nyc

http://www.playbill.com/article/stardust-diner-fires-15-more-employees-via-email-owners-hit-with-wage-theft-suit

For Times Square area, try Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. (Did you see the movie "Forrest Gump"?), a fun place with good seafood also burgers, ribs, etc. reasonably priced -1501 Broadway - huge sign, you can't miss it. Good meals for $20-$30 range.

I think that's a chain...

"Ellen's Stardust Diner", a 50's themed diner where the wait staff actually performs for you!

Yes, when they're not being fired or suing the management:

https://ny.eater.com/2017/7/17/15982134/ellens-stardust-diner-server-lawsuit-nyc

http://www.playbill.com/article/stardust-diner-fires-15-more-employees-via-email-owners-hit-with-wage-theft-suit

I love this place and have been going here for years, only 1 block from our hotel the Michelangelo, but on last few visits there was a long line trying to get in, no matter what time you go but its open from morning till past midnight

I know this is a huge request, but we will be in NYC on Friday before cruising from Manhattan on Saturday. The plan is to be in the Times Square area and then probably go to the former World Trade Center area.

We are not gourmet food eaters and we don't want someplace over $20-25/person for the most part. Do any of you locals have any suggestions that aren't chain restaurants? I know it's hard to narrow down, but what are some of your favorites that aren't too hard to find?

Thanks!

Rocking Horse Cafe is just one suggestion