Trinidad & Tobago

sxphil

Caribbean Princess which is a large ship has ports stops in Trinidad so probably size is not the factor.

A problem with a port stop there is an excursion of some sort is needed to safely get around outside of the secured cruise terminal area. ;)

I went to Trinidad quite a few years ago. (Over 10) there was issues with security. They had armed police in the main streets to protect the tourists and an elderly gentleman from our ship was attacked and robbed.

It was not the safest of places. Maybe they had too many complaints about the safety of the area where they docked.

I find it hard to believe it is because of safety as Royal Caribbean goes to Jamaica and that has to be one of the most unsafe islands in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been to Jamaica multiple times. I have never felt anywhere near as unsafe and intimidated in Jamaica as I did in Trinidad. Unless you have personally experienced it you really cannot compare the two.

FYI several ships are being pulled from Falmouth over issues there as well I understand. There was a recent thread on that.

I have been to Jamaica multiple times. I have never felt anywhere near as unsafe and intimidated in Jamaica as I did in Trinidad. Unless you have personally experienced it you really cannot compare the two.

FYI several ships are being pulled from Falmouth over issues there as well I understand. There was a recent thread on that.

Hi Nikki, haven't been to Tobago but I agree with you on Jamaica. We stopped there last March and went for a walk outside the security area in search of some sunscreen that wasn't at ridiculous prices. DD said it smelled just like the smoking area at high school.:eek:

I don't think it's a case of Royal pulling out of Jamaica but more of a case that with the addition of new Oasis class ships they are finding other ports to visit in addition to Jamaica and mix up the itineraries a bit giving a variety of itineraries and not just the same old, same old.

The port stops at Trinidad we had some years ago were all on Princess ships.

Did RCCL ever have Trinidad port stops??? :confused:

Maybe, but not that I can recall for the last 10 years.

I was on a Celebrity ship several years ago that stopped there. As I recall the excursion offerings were meager at best - I think one involved bus that toured thru some golf/hotel communities.

We just got off the ship and walked around a little bit. I had a hard time finding a store that sold postcards. Needless to say, on hot day, I was quickly back on board.

Haven't felt the need to go back.,,

We stopped in Ocho Rios Jamaica 25 years ago on Majesty and felt so uncomfortable that we've avoided any itinerary that included Jamaica since. We felt very unsafe every time we got off the tour bus that we stopped getting off the bus when it stopped. It was a combo tour (RCCL excursion) that took us around part of the island, we climbed the waterfall, and had multiple shopping stops with a food stop somewhere. We were bothered by locals from the second we stepped through the gates to meet the excursion and every time the bus stopped. We even had a couple locals come onto our tour bus to sell us drugs while it was stopped at a shopping area. We were newlyweds, in our mid 20s, totally freaked out and could not get back on the ship fast enough. I don't think the ships stop in Ocho Rios anymore?

• 4 months later...
We stopped in Ocho Rios Jamaica 25 years ago on Majesty and felt so uncomfortable that we've avoided any itinerary that included Jamaica since. We felt very unsafe every time we got off the tour bus that we stopped getting off the bus when it stopped. It was a combo tour (RCCL excursion) that took us around part of the island, we climbed the waterfall, and had multiple shopping stops with a food stop somewhere. We were bothered by locals from the second we stepped through the gates to meet the excursion and every time the bus stopped. We even had a couple locals come onto our tour bus to sell us drugs while it was stopped at a shopping area. We were newlyweds, in our mid 20s, totally freaked out and could not get back on the ship fast enough. I don't think the ships stop in Ocho Rios anymore?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our Caribbean cruising days are now over

The reason is simple: Too many visits to the same islands

I have no idea why cruise companies do not realise this is an issue for a lot of cruise passengers

If RCI visited one of the few I have not been to: Trinidad, Dominican, Nicaragua, Montserrat, St Barts etc., I would be back in a heartbeat. Ditto, the South American countries: Frenh Guiana, Suriname, Guyana etc.

I’m wondering the same about the Dominican Republic. Why don’t they go there? My best guess is because they have their private island just around the corner in Haiti (Labadee), but that’s not really a great reason.

Stay on the ship. Some people are much more sensitive to foreign cultures than others.

Our Caribbean cruising days are now over

The reason is simple: Too many visits to the same islands

I have no idea why cruise companies do not realise this is an issue for a lot of cruise passengers

If RCI visited one of the few I have not been to: Trinidad, Dominican, Nicaragua, Montserrat, St Barts etc., I would be back in a heartbeat. Ditto, the South American countries: Frenh Guiana, Suriname, Guyana etc.

There are only so many islands that can handle the larger cruise ships. Many smaller islands would have trouble handling 2,500+ visitors.

Then there is geography.

I’m wondering the same about the Dominican Republic. Why don’t they go there? My best guess is because they have their private island just around the corner in Haiti (Labadee), but that’s not really a great reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last time we stopped at Dominican Republic was in 1998.