Passport photocopies

rgmacm

Where does everyone PUT their passport photocopies while flying? Obviously, the copies shouldn't be with the originals. Are they safe in the checked luggage? Should I carry my passport and my husband's photocopy...and he do the opposite? But then, if one bag were stolen/lost, the thief or 'finder' would have BOTH our passport numbers....

What does everyone else do?

Edited by rgmacm

Where does everyone PUT their passport photocopies while flying? Obviously, the copies shouldn't be with the originals. Are they safe in the checked luggage? Should I carry my passport and my husband's photocopy...and he do the opposite? But then, if one bag were stolen/lost, the thief or 'finder' would have BOTH our passport numbers....

Don't worry be happy. ;)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It is difficult to put your passport into a checked bag and then check in for a flight, or a cruise. You need your passport 'in hand' to do so.

It is also unwise to put passport or ID into checked bags as they will be out of your sight while others load them onto planes or ships. You don't know those people....some like to pilfer.

If you have never lost your drivers license, IMO you will never lose your passport. :cool:

It is difficult to put your passport into a checked bag and then check in for a flight, or a cruise. You need your passport 'in hand' to do so.

It is also unwise to put passport or ID into checked bags as they will be out of your sight while others load them onto planes or ships. You don't know those people....some like to pilfer.

If you have never lost your drivers license, IMO you will never lose your passport. :cool:

Could the OP be referring to the passport copies in their checked luggage? :cool:

Could the OP be referring to the passport copies in their checked luggage? :cool:

Sure...and then the thieves have their passport numbers to use on a counterfeit passport, along with issue and expiration dates. Lots of creative minds in the criminal world.

Sure...and then the thieves have their passport numbers to use on a counterfeit passport, along with issue and expiration dates. Lots of creative minds in the criminal world.

A passport number is just like a SS #.

Like anything else, if they want it they will get it.

I would never put either my passport or a photocopy of it in any bag that was not with me all the time. I would put a copy of my eBoarding pass in instead or a copy of my name and phone number and email address on a piece of paper in the bag instead. I would not put put my address in there because that lets somebody know where a house is sitting vacant. The phone number gives them a way to contact you but still not know where your home is physically located.

As to the comment "if they really want your passport number, they'll get it" yes, they might but I'm not going to make it any easier for them to get it than than I absolutely have to. There are enough people who make it easy enough that they'll avoid doing a lot of work to get my numbers as long as there is someone around who'll make it easier for them!

Tom

We travel with a copy of both passports in each of our personal items (my bag and his backpack). Also, keep a pic of both on each of our phones and email copies of each to myself.

After we get onboard, our passports go in the safe. Unless we are crossing a border on an excursion, we leave our passports in the safe until we disembark. We have our driver's licenses on our person and the copy of our passports in the backpack for identification while ashore.

The phone number gives them a way to contact you but still not know where your home is physically located.

If your phone number belongs to a land line, it takes less than two minutes on the Internet to determine your home address.

If your phone number belongs to cell phone, it can, as reported in the New York Times this week, be used in a scam that can gain access to many of your password protected accounts.

I don't even have a photocopy of my passport! (Yes, I know...) I really do plan to take care of that. My wife also has no copy. At least I have the card in my wallet even if it is only good for Canada and Mexico (and a few other places). It is a valid ID and would greatly assist in getting a replacement or verifying my identity to the US consulate.

We're heading to the South Pacific soon and will likely at least keep an electronic copy on our phones but I do have a scanner and it's not really that difficult to make a scanned copy so perhaps we will do so before leaving.

I'm old school, don't have new phone technology but I would never put passport information in a checked bag. As others have stated, I keep copies in my carry on bag. Nothing important goes in my big checked bag, clothes and shoes. I do put my home address in case luggage tag gets lost, however, 35 years with same tag, probably won't happen.

Email is not secure, so you shouldn't email a photo or scan of your passport to yourself unless you use an encrypted / password protected PDF file or something like that. If you have an Android phone then Google Photos is encrypted (unless you make it public!) so you can store a copy there. Not sure about iPhones.

Just a tip...make sure your travel companions know where documents are and know about travel insurance. Just in case the planner of the trip becomes incapacitated. Sometimes we use "Princess" insurance other times we do not....my DH would have no Idea where to start if I didn't info him.

Several years ago this hit me when traveling on a land vacation with a single person I actually met on CC...we had never met n person until the airport we were flying to Peru. Since we were traveling together for 2 weeks....I made sure I had all her contact and insurance info.