U.S. Issues new Trael Wanring to avoid unnecessary travel to Mexico.

sail7seas

With all the violence and terrorism in the world today, I wonder if it could ever happen that those with bad intent could rush a gangway, daash past security and be loose on a ship docked in port? Is that feasible? Am I sufferiing too vivid an imagination? I'mn ot knowledgeable about criminal attacks but I have an awful image of determined trained people being able to do something like that? I've not noticed lots of uniformed security near the ships when in most ports. Sure some but they seem rather relaxed and not attentive.

Yes, the scenario is plausible but unlike terrorists who welcome death as their path to paradise, drug gangs don't and are basically cowards who rely on their numbers and weapons to brutalize the weak for monetary gains. They don't want to die in a big shootout with security force.

With all the violence and terrorism in the world today, I wonder if it could ever happen that those with bad intent could rush a gangway, daash past security and be loose on a ship docked in port? Is that feasible? Am I sufferiing too vivid an imagination? I'mn ot knowledgeable about criminal attacks but I have an awful image of determined trained people being able to do something like that? I've not noticed lots of uniformed security near the ships when in most ports. Sure some but they seem rather relaxed and not attentive.

Just about anything could happen. We could be tumbled out of our beds by an earthquake or killed by a fire due to faulty wiring in our homes or by a gas main exploding nearby. We could be killed by a drunk driver on the road, or even by one simply not paying attention because s/he was texting.

All of these things are statistically much more likely to happen than that any of us would be involved in a terrorist incident or an attempted take-down of a cruise ship by drug lords.

If one spends too much time contemplating all the bad things that "could" happen, one tends to miss out on all the good things that do happen.

Just about anything could happen. We could be tumbled out of our beds by an earthquake or killed by a fire due to faulty wiring in our homes or by a gas main exploding nearby. We could be killed by a drunk driver on the road, or even by one simply not paying attention because s/he was texting.

All of these things are statistically much more likely to happen than that any of us would be involved in a terrorist incident or an attempted take-down of a cruise ship by drug lords.

If one spends too much time contemplating all the bad things that "could" happen, one tends to miss out on all the good things that do happen.

Well said! m--

This is the advisory for Puerto Vallarta; doesn't say much about PV specifically:

Jalisco (includes Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala): U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to areas that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas because of continued instability. U.S. government personnel are prohibited from personal travel to areas of Jalisco that border Zacatecas, intercity travel after hours, and from using Highway 80 between Cocula and La Huerta. U.S. government personnel are authorized to use Federal toll road 15D for travel to Mexico City; however, they may not stop in the town of La Barca or Ocotlan for any reason.

That is on the other side of the state, not close to Puerto Vallarta.

Did I tell anyone what they should do? Of course, anything can happen to any of us anywhere. I tthink most adult persons know that. :rolleyes: Responsible, competent adults can make their own choi ces. Presumably we know what is best forus individually. All of us have personal circumstances that differ from others but innfluence why and how we make our choices. Our personal circumstances and conditions dicttate our choi es and I do not prsume to lecture others w hat they should do, partiulzrlyy when I know next to nothing about them nor want to. That would be quite nervey, IMO.

Sure glad we did most of our Mexico traveling 10-20 years ago! We got to see some very interesting places and never felt unsafe. Not so sure about that now.....
I feel the same way ab out Europe right now. I am so grateful we did so much foreign travel when we had the strrength, were together, jumped from airports, to train stations, to hotels, cruise ships and back to airrports. I'm not sure I would do that today. , We went, we saw, we heard, we tasted and we lovded d all that travel then.n

I fwee

Well said. Danger is everywhere. No point being afraid to leave home.

Absolutely.

Some people are completely unaware of the dangers around their homes/neighbourhoods/cities...... or choose to be unaware.

I grew up in Detroit and attended college in the central city area of Philly, so I should know enough to be aware of my surroundings. However this past Sunday afternoon I was out doing yard work and heard 7-8 gunshots coming from less than a quarter mile away on my street (in a very good neighborhood for OKC)! It was a domestic situation, but again, you never know.

Bright me - I just kept on working on the yard!

Absolutely.

Some people are completely unaware of the dangers around their homes/neighbourhoods/cities...... or choose to be unaware.

AND som ep eople make judgments about other peopel when they know a fraction off their 'story. A senior woman, widow, with extensive serious health issues and absolutely no family has good reason to be cautious about where I go and what I do..... To tell someone like me who has b uried my whole family what can hap;pen to any one anywhere is insulting , purrposefully or not. :rolleyes: My entire family is dead. I know that people die everywhere including at home. . Unless you';d like me to call some of you who are so firrm and inflexible and will hear of another point of vieww........ IF I am in Mexico and have a problem, which of you would jump t yo my aid? Orthat of other CC;ers who may have similar circumstances. Wallk a year in my shoes and see if maybe you could open your closed minds to another point of view founded in good sense.

Edited by sail7seas

AND som ep eople make judgments about other peopel when they know a fraction off their 'story. A senior woman, widow, with extensive serious health issues and absolutely no family has good reason to be cautious about where I go and what I do..... To tell someone like me who has b uried my whole family what can hap;pen to any one anywhere is insulting , purrposefully or not. :rolleyes: My entire family is dead. I know that people die everywhere including at home. . Unless you';d like me to call some of you who are so firrm and inflexible and will hear of another point of vieww........ IF I am in Mexico and have a problem, which of you would jump t yo my aid? Orthat of other CC;ers who may have similar circumstances. Wallk a year in my shoes and see if maybe you could open your closed minds to another point of view founded in good sense.

Everyone is entitled to express their differing points of view -- that's what makes a conversation. I see no one "lecturing" anyone here, except possibly you. We are just sharing our opinions and thoughts.... I don't know your situation and you don't know mine. However, that doesn't change the statistical probabilities which indicate we are extremely unlikely to be involved in anything other than some very minor crime (such as pickpocketing) when traveling outside the US.

Between 2009 and 2013, 1151 Americans were killed abroad. That's an average of about 230 per year. For comparison, there were 15,809 homicides in the US in just one year (2014).

Everyone is entitled to express their differing points of view -- that's what makes a conversation. I see no one "lecturing" anyone here, except possibly you. We are just sharing our opinions and thoughts.... I don't know your situation and you don't know mine. However, that doesn't change the statistical probabilities which indicate we are extremely unlikely to be involved in anything other than some very minor crime (such as pickpocketing) when traveling outside the US.

Between 2009 and 2013, 1151 Americans were killed abroad. That's an average of about 230 per year. For comparison, there were 15,809 homicides in the US in just one year (2014).

Well said cruisemom.

We're heading back to Europe next year. And planning and really looking forward to it.

Sail, I have walked a year in your shoes. I was left a widow with two teenage boys to handle. It wasn't easy but I learned to be tough and push onward. There is a light at the end of the tunnel but you have to dig for it.

Americans are often targeted abroad because they are presumed wealthy by gangsters and have political propaganda value to terrorists.

You and most of us will most likely die of old age. You can spend what time you have quivering with fear, or you can go out and enjoy life.

Look how many people are murdered in a large USA city:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-county-homicides-20170226-story.html

I guess I am lucky to be in San Diego.

igraf

Sail, I have walked a year in your shoes. I was left a widow with two teenage boys to handle. It wasn't easy but I learned to be tough and push onward. There is a light at the end of the tunnel but you have to dig for it.
While I am sorry to hear what you experienced and I think youmean wellt your path and mine are quite different. thus, No, I have not walked in your shoes nor have you walked in mine. I am a senior woman, having spent my entire adult life with my late DH, have very real health issues and absolutely no family. I have buried them all. Neither of our circumstances would be called ideal As, to light at the end of the tunne l,,,,,,,, I'm no twenty something year old for digging. Maybe that light will show itself to me before it is too late :D Edited by sail7seas

My point of view is that if your going to go anywhere on a cruise just be vigilant about your surroundings. Common sense should tell you where to go and where not to go, tourist areas vs off the beaten path. We travel all over and been to many countries and have to say we've always have fun and enjoy our adventures. I do read the State Dept.'s warnings and come up with my own plan/conclusion. We have friends that think we're crazy for traveling in today's world, but if you're going to live in fear then just stay home and lock the door, that's what the knuckleheads of the world want you to do, live in fear. You're more likely to be hit by a car in your own city than be a victim of some other countries strife

Definitely travel smart, its the same whether you are visiting Washington DC or Barcelona. I have more fear of being killed by a texting distracted driver!!! THEY ARE TRULY DANGEROUS

My point of view is that if your going to go anywhere on a cruise just be vigilant about your surroundings. Common sense should tell you where to go and where not to go, tourist areas vs off the beaten path. We travel all over and been to many countries and have to say we've always have fun and enjoy our adventures. I do read the State Dept.'s warnings and come up with my own plan/conclusion. We have friends that think we're crazy for traveling in today's world, but if you're going to live in fear then just stay home and lock the door, that's what the knuckleheads of the world want you to do, live in fear. You're more likely to be hit by a car in your own city than be a victim of some other countries strife

Totally agree and very well said! :)

Well said! I have a trip to South America and 5 to Europe coming up in the next 13 months. I'm not staying home.