re meat pies

Mushy Peas :-

are dried peas which are first soaked overnight in water like you do for pea and ham soup...... But you add baking soda, then rinse, boil, and simmer until the peas are "" mushy.""....  lol 

Basically British cuisine. they are a traditional accompaniment to fish and chips.

In some parts as served as part of a popular snack called pie and peas

The answer is still No   a bit like green eggs and ham

Don

Edited by getting older slowly

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

What did August ever do to deserve Vegemite 🤔

Unfortunately people unused to vegemite treat it as they would a spread like jam or peanut butter.

It should be very, very lightly smeared over a modest buttery coating.

English mustard, although not spread on bread and butter should also be used very sparingly.

Less is more! 

Edited by Bowm54

7 minutes ago, Bowm54 said:

Unfortunately people unused to vegemite treat it as they would a spread like jam or peanut butter.

English mustard although not spread on bread and butter should also be used very sparingly.

Less is more! 

I am mildly aware of Vegemite my mom used to use that or Marmite as a flavour enhancer in gravy and sauces. I don't think we ever had it on toast, that's another thing to do when we get down under in 2022. English mustard I am well aware of and a little dab will do ya with that stuff. I prefer Bavarian style mustard. (That's my German half, my mom's ancestry coming out)

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I am mildly aware of Vegemite my mom used to use that or Marmite as a flavour enhancer in gravy and sauces. I don't think we ever had it on toast, that's another thing to do when we get down under in 2022. English mustard I am well aware of and a little dab will do ya with that stuff. I prefer Bavarian style mustard. (That's my German half, my mom's ancestry coming out)

Well I think your mum had it right.

The English have Bovril, or Oxo cubes as flavour enhancers, as well as Marmite.

Coming from a cold part of NZ vegemite/marmite was also used with hot water as a drink.

In addition to vegemite on toast,  vegemite and lettuce sandwiches are very refreshing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

What are mushy peas?

Are you serious, what no mushy peas in Brisvegas,?My sister lives at Currumbin, she gets the mushie peas. Yatala pies has them as well.th.jpg.fef705ff3d2b25e78bf06a68bf5a5f0d.jpg

Edited by NSWP

15 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Mushy Peas :-

are dried peas which are first soaked overnight in water like you do for pea and ham soup...... But you add baking soda, then rinse, boil, and simmer until the peas are "" mushy.""....  lol 

Basically British cuisine. they are a traditional accompaniment to fish and chips.

In some parts as served as part of a popular snack called pie and peas

The answer is still No   a bit like green eggs and ham

Don

I buy mine in a can, woollies or coles, lubbly jubbly.peas.jpg.77f730c0e95123c427c53533c672a8a1.jpg

14 hours ago, Bowm54 said:

English mustard, although not spread on bread and butter should also be used very sparingly.

Less is more! 

English mustard is hot, thin scraping on a ham sambo is nice.

51 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Prefer a mild mustard, love master foods honey mustard an a sanga, but can’t get it of late.

The only mustard I like is Dijon mustard and even then only a very little. DH, on the other hand, piles it on. I reckon he comes close to using half a jar at a time with snags. I always have to keep a couple of extra jars in the pantry.

• Haha 1

I just had a couple of 'posh dogs (yes thats their name ! from Coles) on gf bread with Masterfoods American mustard, sweetish, I like it, red onion and sliced bega cheese as a an inclusion. The snags are more like kransky, very tasty.

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I just had a couple of 'posh dogs (yes thats their name ! from Coles) on gf bread with Masterfoods American mustard, sweetish, I like it, red onion and sliced bega cheese as a an inclusion. The snags are more like kransky, very tasty.

th (1).jpg

th.jpg

Do you plan on having salad for tea?

16 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I only had two dogs, not the whole packet. 😁  Perhaps a steak and salad for dinner...

donegans-steak-house.jpg.301454d910ce542d5d61ba8a6759d5d6.jpg

The potato does seem a bit of an after thought Les. I have noticed that the potatoes served with steak dinners are rather plain boiled spuds. We would serve a baked potato with butter and Sour cream, bacon bits and chives would be available. And do the carrots have some sort of cream sauce? That is certainly an impressive slab of beast though. Is that a 12 oz. Porterhouse?

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

The potato does seem a bit of an after thought Les. I have noticed that the potatoes served with steak dinners are rather plain boiled spuds. We would serve a baked potato with butter and Sour cream, bacon bits and chives would be available. And do the carrots have some sort of cream sauce? That is certainly an impressive slab of beast though. Is that a 12 oz. Porterhouse?

500gm T Bone Lyle, with pepper gravy in jug. You can get sour cream/butter on the side if you want. I normally have chips with mine, on the side, but they give you a boiled spud as well, bit OTT.  Yes the carrots and celery are in a cream sauce of some type. Irish Restaurant, Irish Chef, so they don't go into the fancy chives, bacon bits. One time my wife asked for a Mojito cocktail, got a blank look, it was Guinness, Lager, red wine or white wine. They have chicken and fish dishes too. My local eatery. Shea the Irish chef with tong, pumping them out.

712576529_donegans2.thumb.jpg.3bf8f6518fce7a762e4bc0eb52d06ec2.jpgdonegans.jpg.97f7ffb9cf101e4d1e5212129e6d91ea.jpg

Edited by NSWP

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

500gm T Bone Lyle, with pepper gravy in jug. You can get sour cream/butter on the side if you want. I normally have chips with mine, on the side, but they give you a boiled spud as well, bit OTT.  Yes the carrots and celery are in a cream sauce of some type. Irish Restaurant, Irish Chef, so they don't go into the fancy chives, bacon bits. One time my wife asked for a Mojito cocktail, got a blank look, it was Guinness, Lager, red wine or white wine. They have chicken and fish dishes too. My local eatery.

There must have been Jameson or Bushmills around an Irish establishment.

That is a serious steak. I have requested a New York strip from my butcher a couple times in years past. They have to cut it for you about 32mm thick and it takes some special care to get it grilled just right. Pepper sauce is not that common here but I have liked it when we it was available. I take it that it is quite common in Oz.