re meat pies

833531862_th(1).jpg.e9e95f5c6ac62c40ddd17364aabfaa36.jpg

On 6/23/2020 at 9:09 PM, OzKiwiJJ said:

Those liqueur chocolates in the shape of miniature bottles were fun.

I used to love them, can one still purchase them? I like anything that contains alcohol.  I just had a week in the bush, Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area, Griffith, Leeton etc. 🍷 I don't want to see another mixed grill or bottle of shiraz, not for a few days anyway.  

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

833531862_th(1).jpg.e9e95f5c6ac62c40ddd17364aabfaa36.jpg

I used to love them, can one still purchase them? I like anything that contains alcohol.  I just had a week in the bush, Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area, Griffith, Leeton etc. 🍷 I don't want to see another mixed grill or bottle of shiraz, not for a few days anyway.  

Yes, you can buy them online from David Jones.

https://www.davidjones.com/home-and-food/food-and-wine/confectionery/20713017/CHOCOLATE-LIQUERS-BOX-16PC.html

Sounds like you need a nice duck red curry and a bottle of pinot noir, or a spag bol and a bottle of sangiovese. 😄

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, you can buy them online from David Jones.

https://www.davidjones.com/home-and-food/food-and-wine/confectionery/20713017/CHOCOLATE-LIQUERS-BOX-16PC.html

Sounds like you need a nice duck red curry and a bottle of pinot noir, or a spag bol and a bottle of sangiovese. 😄

I am making a chicken curry and it will be washed down with a bottle of De Bortoli Semillion Sauvignon Blanc. I bought half the cellar door when I was out at Griffith.  I have always liked De Bortoli wines, great value.  I had better buy some liqueur chocolates then to accompany my after dinner De Bortoli Tawny.  A bit retro, like After Dinner Mints.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Back to meat pies...not seen these for years, I remember having them in my younger days, ye olde Fray Bentos, they had flaky pastry and chunky beef. One pie was supposed to feed a family. I used to eat one myself422725831_fbpie.jpg.ad115ba1fb00f810bb67337d5633d100.jpg

Edited by NSWP

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Back to meat pies...not seen these for years, I remember having them in my younger days, ye olde Fray Bentos, they had flaky pastry and chunky beef. One pie was supposed to feed a family. I used to eat one myself422725831_fbpie.jpg.ad115ba1fb00f810bb67337d5633d100.jpg

Only one 😱🤪, but that was back when I was a young fit footballer, playing two league comps, one Union comp and soccer to boot, as well as training, like you I haven’t seen them in Yonks more a pudding in a tin if memory serves.

Edited by GUT2407

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Gut, seen them recently in woolie. 7 bucks I think.

Have to get a Mrs Gut to keep an eye out, doubt I can go two or three now, but maybe one with some mash and peas would go down OK.

For those home pie eaters a couple of shops have had tinned mushy peas again, noticeably IGA and some coles, not quite as good as soaking your own, but if you don’t have the time, or a last minute decision an acceptable alternative, Bachelors brand.

Okay so valuable information gleaned from another thread. Apparently it is okay to eat pies with a knife and fork, also not all pies get tomato sauce and a tiger pie has no top crust but mashed potatoes, mushy peas and gravy on top?

Also it seems that the more quality beer you drink the less important the quality of the pie is😉

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay so valuable information gleaned from another thread. Apparently it is okay to eat pies with a knife and fork, also not all pies get tomato sauce and a tiger pie has no top crust but mashed potatoes, mushy peas and gravy on top?

Also it seems that the more quality beer you drink the less important the quality of the pie is😉

Tiger is only from a Harry’s, and it does indeed have a top crust, they then put a scoop of mask on top, then a scoop of peas, then gravy. Sauce is really up to you, some put sauce on their Tiger, other’s don’t, a shop near me does a pie, no top crust, with peas then potato on top, that I add sauce to, other’s don’t, there really is no hard and fast rule and you won’t be ridiculed if you d or don’t have sauce. One thing to remember Aussies will, in general, take way better to a bloke who is able to laugh at himself.

so say you decide to try a pie and manage to spill it down yourself a comment from you like “Useless Canadian must have a eating problem” will be likely get laughs and acceptance, where as carrying on like a Prima Donna “Oh my goodness my best wild shirt” will probably make you subject to ridicule. Now I should slip in that I have known a few Canadians and as rule they aren’t much different to us on the whole.

2 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Not ever having eaten a pie floater I am wondering what is it floating in?

Good hearty pea soup. I know it look and sounds a bit off, but once you try one you will be hooked.

56 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Canadians would just say sorry for messing their own shirt,  wouldn't they?

Actually this Canadian would be more likely to exclaim For f**k sakes, what a dork. Similar to what Mr. Gut suggested a little more vulgar, I may apologize for the language though, if I was in mixed company. I would also thank the laughing Australians for their helpful comments 🤔

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, strike the pie floater, it looks like it got plopped in a bowl of split pea soup. I will try the tomato sauce because it is a thing but pea soup no way.

No guts no glory, you are missing out on a great taste.