re meat pies

The chelada/michelada is added into the glass as a liquid. Not wedges.

Basic is lime juice and salt. More complex adds chilli. Can then get more cocktail style with other stuff.

the lagers in clear glass go off very quickly.

In Mexico I would  drink Dos Equis Lager, or preferably the ambar style. Heavier Mondelo Negro.

55 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I did a two week tour of Mexico and never saw lime or lemon in Corona except in tourist resort areas. I don't drink Corona as I prefer Dos Equis XX (No, it's not half strength XXXX).

Corona is Mexico's Fosters, only for export.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Docker123 said:

lime or lemon to mask the taste of the horrible Corona stuff. In Mexico they even use a chilli based mix in the bottom of the glass. 

I actually quite like Coronas and no don't usually add lime or lemon or anything else unless buying it at a pub, restaurant or onboard a cruise ship.

Leigh

I can have a Corona or two as they have been tested as very low gluten, big corn component rather than all barley/wheat.

Some Coeliacs might have a reaction though, I have not so far, I keep it to a couple per week.  Have to have lime or lemon in though, enhances the flavour.

Edited by NSWP

from the mouth of a patriotic Mexican while on tour there.

Corona has traditionally had lime or lemon added to the neck for 3 reasons.

1.  to help sterilise the mouth of the bottle (they were cleaned but not always sterilised in the past);
  2.  to ward off/stop bugs and flies from getting into the beer;
  3.  to improve the taste.

• 3 months later...

Our local butcher has excellent steak and mushroom pies. Alas they are kinda closed, I don't really like calling in my order so will have to wait until they get back to real store opening. It's hard to pick a good steak our just the right pound of bacon if you can't see it. One local supermarket has okay pies but not the treat the butcher shop pies are. No sauce for me thanks.

With the world locked down, Mrs Gut and I are contemplating a road trip to Tasmania, subject to back and new car, and recently the book of many faces has had info on spots for a pie and we are wondering if we can plan our itinerary around pies, markets and second hand book stores trouble is I would want to head both North, some great ones that direction, and a South, cause that is where Tassie is.

Be aware I will resurrect this thread just before I come down there. I take it Harry's is the go to pie shop? 

We will be in Melbourne and area and a few days in Sydney, Also there is the New Zealand leg of the trip.

I like my meat pies pretty basic, steak yes, kidney no. Pies should be plain food for working folk, they don't need to be all chefy.

Do you eat them warm or cold? I like them both ways but when I pack one for my lunch I eat it cold, I hate what a microwave does to a pie and we don't have an oven to warm it at work.

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Be aware I will resurrect this thread just before I come down there. I take it Harry's is the go to pie shop? 

We will be in Melbourne and area and a few days in Sydney, Also there is the New Zealand leg of the trip.

I like my meat pies pretty basic, steak yes, kidney no. Pies should be plain food for working folk, they don't need to be all chefy.

Do you eat them warm or cold? I like them both ways but when I pack one for my lunch I eat it cold, I hate what a microwave does to a pie and we don't have an oven to warm it at work.

Harry’s is now a chain of pie shops, full name Harry’s Cafe de Wheels, so called because it started life in a caravan when the law forbade it to sit so each day it was moved a few inches back and forwards.

most folk eat their meat pies hot, except for a few varieties. Now is Harry’s the go to? Yes and No.In terms of a chain I prefer it to most, in particular a Tiger (the original owners nick name) which is served with mash, mushy peas and Gravy in top. Harry sells numerous flavours of pie, but his basic is chunky beef in a papery gravy. You will get a pie almost anywhere, most service stations (gas station for you?) will sell some now days presealed in plastic, Mrs Macs is perhaps the commonest and aren’t too bad, Princess cruises carry them when sailing down under but there are many other brands too, then you get to the local pie shop some are poor, some Ok, some good, some absolutely fantastic. A little town in a Tasmania, Ross, Cook their pies in a wood fired over, so you get the slightly Smokey taste, in my humble opinion the best I have ever eaten.

then you come to frozen pies that you take home and heat yourself, again variable in quality and depends on personal preference.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

Not seen any pies on here for over 3 months, tis pie weather with overnight zero temps down here.1783082160_gfpie.jpg.738968343620fe9f609a3ad424c04f10.jpg

Too busy munching my way through packets of Aldi's Chicken and Vegie and Chunky Steak pies, while reading all 7 Harry Potter books (now finished).

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Our local butcher has excellent steak and mushroom pies. Alas they are kinda closed, I don't really like calling in my order so will have to wait until they get back to real store opening. It's hard to pick a good steak our just the right pound of bacon if you can't see it. One local supermarket has okay pies but not the treat the butcher shop pies are. No sauce for me thanks.

Do you blokes over in Canuck Land smother Tomato Sauce (you say Ketchup?) or would a good Canadian Maple Syrup be appropriate?😜

250px-Meat_pie.jpg.799bb0617848f4c56bdbd3a95f79af75.jpg

Edited by NSWP

3 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

The only correct way to eat a beef pie is extra hot.

One has not lived until suffering third degree burns to the chin and chest as the filling spills forth.

Tomato sauce is needed as a special balm.

I often burn the roof of my mouth with the real hot dogs eyes.

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Do you blokes over in Canuck Land smother Tomato Sauce (you say Ketchup?) or would a good Canadian Maple Syrup be appropriate?😜

250px-Meat_pie.jpg.799bb0617848f4c56bdbd3a95f79af75.jpg

No tomato sauce for this Canuck. Maple syrup is for pancakes and waffles around our house. I would however put gravy on my pie if I was having it hot. We also have tourtiere which uses a ground pork filling, my Mom's best friend had a French Canadian background and she used to make them around Christmas time. What a treat.

27 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

No tomato sauce for this Canuck. Maple syrup is for pancakes and waffles around our house. I would however put gravy on my pie if I was having it hot. We also have tourtiere which uses a ground pork filling, my Mom's best friend had a French Canadian background and she used to make them around Christmas time. What a treat.

I was only kidding re the maple syrup, I have been on many cruises alongside North Americans, I know how you Canadians and Yanks like maple syrup on your brekkie waffles, pancakes and bacon and eggs.  Princess Cruises must buy it in 44 gallons drums, judging by the amount used at the ship's buffets.  Aussies have a bit of gravy on their pies sometimes and mushy peas.

th.jpg

Edited by NSWP

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I was only kidding re the maple syrup, I have been on many cruises alongside North Americans, I know how you Canadians and Yanks like maple syrup on your brekkie waffles, pancakes and bacon and eggs.  Princess Cruises must buy it in 44 gallons drums, judging by the amount used at the ship's buffets.  Aussies have a bit of gravy on their pies sometimes and mushy peas.

th.jpg

That muck Princess serves as "maple" syrup is just flavoured corn syrup. It's disgusting.

Blackduck, I'm sorry but you have to have tomato sauce on your pie when you come to Australia, otherwise you won't experience the true nature of a Aussie meat pie.

• Like 3

I have a pie eating ritual which involves eating the lid, with sauce, first. Next I add sauce to the filling and eat it the usual way. By eating the lid first I don't have gravy oozing out the sides when biting down. Also, the filling gets a chance to cool so I don't burn my mouth.

• Like 1

Talking about different ways of eating pies, some people turn the pie upside down as the top is often stronger then the bottom which can be soft and can collapse, you then end up with a deconstructed pie which is rather messy.  The sauce will sit alright on the upended pie.

Edited by NSWP

21 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That muck Princess serves as "maple" syrup is just flavoured corn syrup. It's disgusting.

Blackduck, I'm sorry but you have to have tomato sauce on your pie when you come to Australia, otherwise you won't experience the true nature of a Aussie meat pie.

You are right OzKiwiJJ at between $14.00 and $18.00 per liter, you can be sure that maple syrup is not on the buffet. Maybe in a specialty restaurant. It's rare to get the real thing at a restaurant in Canada.

Because I like to try new things I will agree to using some tomato sauce once. I really don't do ketchup (tomato sauce) very much, on my chips for fish and chips but not the fish, on the hash browns at breakfast but never the eggs. Sometimes I have ketchup with the fries with my burger but prefer mayonnaise. Lynn is allergic to tomatoes so she's off the hook.

So when I get this piping hot meat pie and ruin it with tomato sauce do I eat it from a plate with knife and fork or do you have some special eat it with your hands strategy 🤔