re meat pies

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

So when I get this piping hot meat pie and ruin it with tomato sauce do I eat it from a plate with knife and fork or do you have some special eat it with your hands strategy 🤔

Lyle, I eat the pie in the hand.  However when I have a Tiger pie from Harry's, I use the plastic K&F provided. I found a YouTube from a visiting Canuck eating a Pepper Steak Pie, which is one of the many types available that I enjoy. The action starts around 7:10 into the video. See how to eat a pie in OZ.

So when I get this piping hot meat pie and ruin it with tomato sauce do I eat it from a plate with knife and fork or do you have some special eat it with your hands strategy 🤔

See some of the comments above for tips on eating a pie with sauce by hand. 

I'm not a great fan of tomato sauce either but it's a must on pies (except chicken and leek pies).

I love good quality maple syrup. We get just OK stuff in the supermarkets. My local greengrocer sells better quality syrup but it costs a bomb. However we don't have it all that often so I allow myself to indulge in it. Many years ago a friend from Vermont in the US brought us some from a local producer, ie not mass produced, and it was awesome. 

You are right OzKiwiJJ at between $14.00 and $18.00 per liter, you can be sure that maple syrup is not on the buffet. Maybe in a specialty restaurant. It's rare to get the real thing at a restaurant in Canada.

Because I like to try new things I will agree to using some tomato sauce once. I really don't do ketchup (tomato sauce) very much, on my chips for fish and chips but not the fish, on the hash browns at breakfast but never the eggs. Sometimes I have ketchup with the fries with my burger but prefer mayonnaise. Lynn is allergic to tomatoes so she's off the hook.

Lyle I paid about $9 for a 100 ml bottle of 'real' maple syrup at Christmas for the ham glaze. I rarely buy maple syrup real or not, so was quite surprised at the price.

It depends where you are eating the pie -  if at the football for example or buying it from a take away, use your hands with the pie still partly in the bag. If at home or in a cafe, I do use a knife and fork and would have tomato sauce. I never have tomato sauce if eating a pie with my hands - I would wear the whole lot! I had a takeway hamburger recently and it had so much sauce and mayonaise on it! I spilt both all over myself! I only ever have sauce on sausages, hamburgers etc, never on chips or eggs or on hash browns.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

16 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm not a great fan of tomato sauce either but it's a must on pies (except chicken and leek pies).

Tomato sauce on anything chicken is a no no.

Leigh

• Like 1

A pie I eat by hand, if it is with vegetables I use a knife and fork, sauce is an of course, even BBQ for a change. A tiger at Harry’s I use a fork to dig through the spud peas and meat then push the rest into the pastry and polish that off the right way, by hand.

on a cruise I eat even a straight pie with knife snd fork I try to not eat anything by hand on a cruise.

I will have sauce on pretty much anything.

Thanks for the tutorial video Docker 123. I think I have it now. So you go to the pie shop, of which there seems there are many in all regions of your vast country (some of dubious quality). So my first step is to find a quality pie. Then I have to choose what kind of pie I want, I think the pepper steak might be my first attempt or should I go with something a little less exotic? Having found and procured said quality pie I now am obliged to ruin it with tomato sauce 😕. Having done that I now take this hot pie with no doubt hot filling and pick it up with my hands and hope to eat more of it than I wear. Sounds like something best done with a full rain poncho that can easily be hosed off. I can see it now, all the locals looking at me and thinking what a pillock. That of course will be followed by sympathy (I hope) when they find out I'm a poor Canadian a long way from home and not well trained in the art of pie.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the tutorial video Docker 123. I think I have it now. So you go to the pie shop, of which there seems there are many in all regions of your vast country (some of dubious quality). So my first step is to find a quality pie. Then I have to choose what kind of pie I want, I think the pepper steak might be my first attempt or should I go with something a little less exotic? Having found and procured said quality pie I now am obliged to ruin it with tomato sauce 😕. Having done that I now take this hot pie with no doubt hot filling and pick it up with my hands and hope to eat more of it than I wear. Sounds like something best done with a full rain poncho that can easily be hosed off. I can see it now, all the locals looking at me and thinking what a pillock. That of course will be followed by sympathy (I hope) when they find out I'm a poor Canadian a long way from home and not well trained in the art of pie.

Nice summary.

• Thanks 1

We had very nice pies for lunch today on our journey into south west Victoria. We stopped at a bakery at Camperdown that we have been to in the past. They were very busy, so we decided to buy takeaway pies and eat them in the car. 

Leigh

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 12:46 AM, Blackduck59 said:

A bit off topic but came across this. Nice bit about Poutine.

https://www.facebook.com/travellin.girl/videos/10164340068855393/

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

A bit off topic but came across this. Nice bit about Poutine.

https://www.facebook.com/travellin.girl/videos/10164340068855393/

Thanks Mic, Lynn and I both laughed our a***s off. Ah poutine, can't understand why some people don't like it🤔. For a song full of cliches it's pretty accurate. Of course the Mounties rarely wear the Red Surge uniform. And I was so happy to see our Snowbirds Air demonstration squadron included. If anyone has a chance to see their show, don't miss it, ballet in the air.

• Like 1

My son ate something very similar to your poutine at a takeaway all the bed students frequented basically chips, gravy, cheese but in line with the rest of their dishes (if that was the word for the junk they ate) having medical names it was sold as an abortion.

The key to poutine is the cheese, it is a white cheese curd an large chucks and the sort of melt and get stingy and they kinda squeak when you chew them. The gravy is important as well. You can get poutine almost anywhere in Canada, and like your meat pies, some are better than others.

Is the cheese similar to a fresh buffalo mozzarella?

I keep thinking I can't imagine cheese with gravy, but I just realised I always put cheese on top of cottage pies and they, of course, have gravy in them.

Definitely not in the sane league as buffalo mozzarella. It's an un-aged, un-pressed cheddar made with cow's milk. It is fairly firm when they put it on the chips and top it with gravy it quickly becomes gooey. Most places use regular gravy but some gravy is better than others.  Montreal Style smoked beef is a common addition.

Edited by Blackduck59

56 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Definitely not in the sane league as buffalo mozzarella. It's an un-aged, un-pressed cheddar made with cow's milk. It is fairly firm when they put it on the chips and top it with gravy it quickly becomes gooey. Most places use regular gravy but some gravy is better than others.  Montreal Style smoked beef is a common addition.

For me the taste is okay, not really my thing but then I am not a huge fan of gravy on chips anyway. It is more the sound of biting through the cheese that irks me.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think I've ever had a cheddar-style cheese like that. 

I wondered if it was buffalo as that milk makes very white cheese, cows milk tends to be a bit yellower in comparison.

There is a 5* Pie shop named Red Ned's where I live here in Nelson Bay, just north of Newcastle. I suppose you are familiar with our National hero/Outlaw Ned Kelly? This shop is famous for it's different ingredients in the pies, including Kangaroo, crocodile and seafood. They sell over 50 varieties. Very popular place with the tourists and locals.

image.thumb.png.31257f970b2f2201f75a0a5e1487262b.png

image.thumb.png.6f09a5758ac1d1df1bd2f6c85ac88fff.png

Edited by By The Bay

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think I've ever had a cheddar-style cheese like that. 

I wondered if it was buffalo as that milk makes very white cheese, cows milk tends to be a bit yellower in comparison.

For cheese to become yellow it has to cook long enough for the fat membranes to dissolve and the beta carotene can been seen giving the yellow colour. From what I understand when I visited Canada the curd in Poutine is basically the beginning stage of cheese where they have curdled it, added some rennet but did not take it far enough to go yellow. 

5 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

My son ate something very similar to your poutine at a takeaway all the bed students frequented basically chips, gravy, cheese but in line with the rest of their dishes (if that was the word for the junk they ate) having medical names it was sold as an abortion.

From the Blue & White Takeaway on O'Connell Street, in North Adelaide?  They've been selling them since the early 1990s, possibly even earlier.

Chips and yiros meat, topped with chilli sauce, tomato sauce, garlic sauce.  You open the package and that's what it looks like...

And it's absolutely delicious.

6 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

From the Blue & White Takeaway on O'Connell Street, in North Adelaide?  They've been selling them since the early 1990s, possibly even earlier.

Chips and yiros meat, topped with chilli sauce, tomato sauce, garlic sauce.  You open the package and that's what it looks like...

And it's absolutely delicious.

Sounds right.