re meat pies

Just now, GUT2407 said:

Lyle, what do you pay in Canada for a pie?

These "Real Deal" pies were $5.99 CAD, the ones we get at Thrifty foods are about $5.50 and are a little larger. We were at a place last week that was looking for $8.00 for a 150 mm pie 😟.

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

These "Real Deal" pies were $5.99 CAD, the ones we get at Thrifty foods are about $5.50 and are a little larger. We were at a place last week that was looking for $8.00 for a 150 mm pie 😟.

Interesting Lyle, on a par with here standard meat pie at local bakery here is $5.50.   There are bakeries around, I saw one in Canberra that has GF pies, small ones for $8.90, ripping us off.

On 5/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, Russell21 said:

Scotts pies from Coles used to be the pick of the frozen pies for us but just recently we don't know if it's just our imagination but they seemed to have shrunk in size and lost some of their taste. As if they decided to downgrade the pies rather than put the price up, they lost us.

A memory for you..enjoy..

0817_Scotts_6_pk.thumb.jpg.e0de90ffb7abd3be16e30dd01f8f1c91.jpg

Lynn decided she wanted left over pot stickers for supper so I'm free to go for the "Real Deal" Canadian made Ozzie style pie. I have chosen pepper steak for this review. Said pie is in the oven so I will report after I have eaten what I hope will be a tasty treat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Lynn decided she wanted left over pot stickers for supper so I'm free to go for the "Real Deal" Canadian made Ozzie style pie. I have chosen pepper steak for this review. Said pie is in the oven so I will report after I have eaten what I hope will be a tasty treat.

And a nice pic of the contents Lyle, please. We like to see the gravy content, enjoy.

Hey Lyle, have you tried the British Bobby Restaurant @ Parksville? near you? sounds great.

Edited by NSWP

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hope your pie was tasty but as much as I like peppery pies I'd be tempted by Lynn's pot stickers. I keep a selection of those in the freezer for quick lunches. They're usually called by their Japanese name here - Gyoza - and the supermarkets now have quite a range of them. Our favourite at the moment is Szechuan pork. I just discovered some duck ones the other day but haven't tried them yet.

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Hope your pie was tasty but as much as I like peppery pies I'd be tempted by Lynn's pot stickers. I keep a selection of those in the freezer for quick lunches. They're usually called by their Japanese name here - Gyoza - and the supermarkets now have quite a range of them. Our favourite at the moment is Szechuan pork. I just discovered some duck ones the other day but haven't tried them yet.

Yes there is quite a selection here as well. The packaging will call what is interpreted as "Japanese" as Gyoza and those considered "Chinese" as Potstickers or Dumplings. I haven't seen Szechuan Pork yet. We had a large feed the other night and there were only a few left, not enough for 2 portions.

Well I had my "Real Deal" made in Canada Australian style pie. This will take a couple of posts for the pictures.

Here we have the wrapper

2047881447_Piewrapped.thumb.jpg.6ff15dec7306cd16e2f1a4f7724065cb.jpg

and right out of the oven

2139745011_Pieoutofoven.thumb.jpg.3040202c4b0ddf20fbc16ea03c2f9f09.jpg

To me I don't think it is an accident that it seems to be the shape of a Footy Pitch. It is a pepper steak pie but that is poppy seed on top.

Edited by Blackduck59
  • Like 1

The pie was quite tasty and easy to eat by hand, flaky crust that was firm enough to hold in your hand but not tough. The filling was meaty and the gravy was firm so it didn't run all over the place when eating by hand. I enjoyed the flavour but it would definitely be 1683366900_Pieoutofpackage.thumb.jpg.58c4fd7c542e2b5d0c06be078e0458e2.jpgtoo peppery for Lynn. All in all a good bite at a fair price. 

1377408008_Pielastbite.thumb.jpg.9ed9e81b9aa48cbd770cec82f215b1b2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Yes there is quite a selection here as well. The packaging will call what is interpreted as "Japanese" as Gyoza and those considered "Chinese" as Potstickers or Dumplings. I haven't seen Szechuan Pork yet. We had a large feed the other night and there were only a few left, not enough for 2 portions.

The Szechuen pork ones are a local Australian brand that has a range of products created by Diana Chan who won MasterChef a few years ago. They are yummy. 

Oddly enough the pot sticker / gyoza style of dumpling is rarely called a pot sticker here. Maybe still in traditional Chinese restaurants but that's all. Other styles of frozen dumplings are available too but they are the type that need to be boiled or steamed. I use pork and chive ones for a dumpling soup, unless I'm using ravioli in which case it's pasta en brodo. One frozen pasta range has star anise duck ravioli which works well in an Asian spiced broth.

10 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well I had my "Real Deal" made in Canada Australian style pie. This will take a couple of posts for the pictures.

Here we have the wrapper

2047881447_Piewrapped.thumb.jpg.6ff15dec7306cd16e2f1a4f7724065cb.jpg

and right out of the oven

2139745011_Pieoutofoven.thumb.jpg.3040202c4b0ddf20fbc16ea03c2f9f09.jpg

To me I don't think it is an accident that it seems to be the shape of a Footy Pitch. It is a pepper steak pie but that is poppy seed on top.

That oval shape is quite common here. Square ones and round ones are less common but you still see them.

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

The pie was quite tasty and easy to eat by hand, flaky crust that was firm enough to hold in your hand but not tough. The filling was meaty and the gravy was firm so it didn't run all over the place when eating by hand. I enjoyed the flavour but it would definitely be 1683366900_Pieoutofpackage.thumb.jpg.58c4fd7c542e2b5d0c06be078e0458e2.jpgtoo peppery for Lynn. All in all a good bite at a fair price. 

1377408008_Pielastbite.thumb.jpg.9ed9e81b9aa48cbd770cec82f215b1b2.jpg

Looks good and I am glad it was worth the effort

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Looks good and I am glad it was worth the effort

No effort on my part, most happy for the tip. Its just interesting we were in that market last week before Mr. Gut gave the tip. I noticed the pies but we were on a mission (flowers for mother's day and hanging baskets. We had a better look around today, interesting stop, some unusual items, I think sort of a local market, larger than a "corner store" but not a supermarket. There is one of the few independent European Deli in the area right across the street and our favourite fish and chip shop. Of course this is nowhere near home but not far from Lynn's mom's place.

We have 2 other varieties to try and at $5.99 Canadian pretty good value, although the locally made pies from Thrifty foods are quite good. Of course I didn't get to Glenwood Meats so I didn't get any of there pies or bacon😟.

Coming back from Bingara today we decided to have lunch in Scone. At this point we'd done 250ks in the saddle and needed a break anyway. If anyone has been through Scone in years gone by you would have noticed how it much it slows the traffic heading up/down the New England highway.

Well, that's been fixed as there is now a new bypass which is great for the traffic but, as we saw when we rode into Scone, it has been a disaster for local business as nothing was open and there appeared to be quite a few businesses that have shut down, or was it because it was Sunday.

Anyhow we had slowly rode along the main street we could see nothing much that looked like a reasonable lunch spot. The was a Maccas on the way in (from the north) which we definitely didn't want, next there was a small coffee cafe doing some business then further up the street was a Subway which we didn't really feel like as we hadn't had breakfast, except for a cup of tea) and felt like having something more substantial. Has we reached the end of the main street we went past what looked like a pub with a lot of bikes parked outside. Surely that's a sign of good food in the offing. We did a u-ie and went back and parked among the other bikes which were just leaving - good, less crowded.

It turns out that what was once the Thoroughbred Hotel is now a multipurpose business i.e Bakery, Restaurant, Bar and accommodation. Good enough for us as we found when we went inside, they had an excellent selection of pies. So a pie lunch it was. Tony had a plain pie and I decided on a pork and apple with a side of chips.

Tony liked her beef pie and my pork and apple was delicious, large chunks of pork a nice pieces of apple with a gravy that didn't ooze out the sides - it was almost like having main course and dessert at the same time. The chips were some of the best we've had in a restaurant. Nice and crunchy on the outside and soft, fluffy potato inside.

Also, the interior was been remodeled so don't expect the old pub look. There's a small bar area, inside dining area, outside tables along a footpath but under the outside awing, as well as a beer garden style eating area out the back with a playground for kids as well as off street parking. Nicely updated toilet facilities too with a new, generously sized disabled and unisex toilet close to the beer garden/playground area.

So if you happen to be heading up/down the New England give this place a try and help out the locals who are doing it tough since the bypass.

I almost forgot - excellent coffee!

IMG_20210523_132139548.jpg

IMG_20210523_130000791.jpg

IMG_20210523_132110624.jpg

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

When we stopped in scone back in January, both pubs were closed, good to see a new business opening.

Indeed, some towns survive a road bypass, others suffer.

On return I needed to fill the bike with good ol' 98 RON at the local Shell servo. As I was paying I noticed they had a pie oven but what really caught my eye was that they had Kransky sausage rolls! We would love to have had one but it was early in the day and it's tricky eating a sausage roll while wearing a full face helmet and piloting a 1200cc two wheeled rocket.😉 And there was no room in the "boot" to bring a couple home.🙁

• Haha 1