re meat pies

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I find pulled meats to be dry and over cooked.

Not always. I had a pulled pork burger once that was delish, very moist meat. But it probably would go dry in a pie unless it was properly sauced.

I do pulled pork shoulder in the slow cooker and it's always very moist. I reserve the cooking liquids and turn that into a sauce. I freeze portions of the sauce along with portioned leftover meat. When I reheat the pork I mix some sauce through it before microwaving it. 

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

If pulled meat is cooked properly, it should be moist and very tender. Both my son and son in law cook pulled beef beautifully. Cooking it in a slowly with enough sauce is the key, either in a skpw cooker or in the oven.

Leigh

Has anyone seen them in their local Coles? Is anyone going to try them? I'm not sure I want to. I like to have control over the amount of tomato sauce on my pie, partly because I can't handle too much of sauces that are quite acidic, like some tomato sauces.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Or try a pie on a bap.

image.jpeg.69e7c3b6e0ddf462e217b3c189177dd0.jpeg

A bap is, at its simplest, a bread roll. At its more complicated, it is tender pillow of dough, often made with milk, lard, and butter. A more humble, Scottish version of the brioche. The bap is the ideal bread for a simple meat sandwich.

Or a pie burger.

138450359_th(1).jpg.61534c007efaead3da7856317e4afc98.jpg

30 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Too much salad on that burger Uncle Les

What salad? All I can see (from the bottom upwards) is burger bun base, bacon, cheese, pie, possibly tomato sauce, and the burger bun top.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

If the pulled pork is dry it wasn't cooked right. Low and slow with some smoke, almost always with a healthy portion of Barbeque sauce (an infinite variety of styles and flavours)

8 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

If the pulled pork is dry it wasn't cooked right. Low and slow with some smoke, almost always with a healthy portion of Barbeque sauce (an infinite variety of styles and flavours)

Maybe I just like my meat medium.

17 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

What salad? All I can see (from the bottom upwards) is burger bun base, bacon, cheese, pie, possibly tomato sauce, and the burger bun top.

See what I mean, way too much salad.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The art of Barbeque is intended for cuts of meat that would be rather chewy if cooled "medium", pork shoulder, beef brisket, ribs even whole hogs.

Lyle just so you know a BBQ here is more likely called a Grill in your parts, usually steak, chops, sausages, chicken, burgers (perhaps) seafood if you’re one of the rich ones. Just in case you get here and are invited to one.

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

The art of Barbeque is intended for cuts of meat that would be rather chewy if cooled "medium", pork shoulder, beef brisket, ribs even whole hogs.

When I do a BBQ , I boil it first so it’s just about cooked them throw it on charcoal and burn it.

12 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Lyle just so you know a BBQ here is more likely called a Grill in your parts, usually steak, chops, sausages, chicken, burgers (perhaps) seafood if you’re one of the rich ones. Just in case you get here and are invited to one.

We call that Barbeque here as well. The other slow smoked style has just found it's way up here in the last 20 years or so.

32 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Maybe I just like my meat medium.

Doneness terms like rare, medium, well done don't really apply to slow cooked meats. You don't ask for a beef and Guiness stew medium or rare, for example, yet if that stew isn't slow cooked the meat would be tough and dry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1