re meat pies

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

I would have to disagree there, I practically lived on tamales when I was travelling in Mexico, love the stuff 😋

I have only tried them in the US ,maybe they just destroy they like most food.

Edited by Chiliburn

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Okay, here we go. Here in the Great White North where you will also find pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving (ours is before the other country). You would find pumpkin puree in a can or for the really enthusiastic they will roast the gourd and make their own puree. My mom used to do it the hard way and then decided canned is just fine. I've never seen a "Gramma" squash, this is what we call pumpkin.

pumpkin.jpg.adc3d68c3815f37e645b21de6d88b737.jpg

Most pumpkins here have grey or green skins, or pale orange in the case of butternut. I've seen ones like these in stores around Halloween though. Probably imported from the US.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Most pumpkins here have grey or green skins, or pale orange in the case of butternut. I've seen ones like these in stores around Halloween though. Probably imported from the US.

They could be spray painted orange, or genetically modified to have orange skin, becasue they are not eaten....  anything is possible now a days....

I think this subject came up a while back when I was confused about thing that I would know a "squash" being referred to as pumpkin. Most of the "Pumpkins" we have are used for "jack o lanterns" at Halloween, which is after the Canadian "Thanksgiving". The ones like that in the picture are edible. we do have some white skinned ones that people use for Jack o Lanterns they aren't edible.

27 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Just for curiosity,in Canada do you say mom or mum ?

I guess it depends on where you are from, remember how big Canada is (2nd largest country in the world). In our home my mother was Mum I would guess in Quebec it would be Mere or Maman. I had German friends who called their mom Mutti.

Edited by Blackduck59

27 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

They could be spray painted orange, or genetically modified to have orange skin, becasue they are not eaten....  anything is possible now a days....

It's not just the colour of the skin, it's the shape which, as you can see in Lyle's photo, is taller than Australian pumpkins.

15 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I guess it depends on where you are from, remember how big Canada is (2nd largest country in the world). In our home my mother was Mum I would guess in Quebec it would be Mere or Maman. I had German friends who called their mom Mutti.

I just thought being a commonwealth country it would be mum.

I hate when I hear  `my mooom’

5 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

My Auntie in Saskatchewan used to grow championship giant pumpkins I think one was about 400 kilos. I'm not sure how edible they were.

So do you still love us here on the ANZ forum Lyle?

2 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Remember that after the war we had many people from many nations immigrate to Canada so we have many languages from around the world, many Canadians my age are first generation. Lynn and I are second generation our Grandparents were immigrants.

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Remember that after the war we had many people from many nations immigrate to Canada so we have many languages from around the world, many Canadians my age are first generation. Lynn and I are second generation our Grandparents were immigrants.

Singapore and India say mum in English.

3 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Just think meat pies Lyle.

image.gif.155105ac8b554c5057d02ec69829d3be.gif

I can get them here Chili and I don't have to put tomato sauce (Ketchup or Catsup pick a term) because it's a thing. Let's keep this light please because right now it looks like our interest in traveling to Oz is at an all time low; just as yours would be if you wanted to come to Canada for 45 years just to find you weren't welcome here.

We haven't cancelled yet but are certain we will and redoing a plan for the 3rd time feels futile. Maybe better I stay home.

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

I can get them here Chili and I don't have to put tomato sauce (Ketchup or Catsup pick a term) because it's a thing. Let's keep this light please because right now it looks like our interest in traveling to Oz is at an all time low; just as yours would be if you wanted to come to Canada for 45 years just to find you weren't welcome here.

We haven't cancelled yet but are certain we will and redoing a plan for the 3rd time feels futile. Maybe better I stay home.

Why not put it on the backburner for now and plan an even bigger trip for after you retire. That way you could spend more time here and in NZ and not have to rush to see everything you want to see. Hopefully by then the world will have settled down enough for international travel to be safe and viable.

Thanks for the pep talk Julie but I think it will be a long time  before any international visitor will be greeted with a hearty "G'day Mate". I'm really at a low since a few comments a couple days ago and right now it has come to the point where it feels I need to make an appointment to go for a walk.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thanks for the pep talk Julie but I think it will be a long time  before any international visitor will be greeted with a hearty "G'day Mate". I'm really at a low since a few comments a couple days ago and right now it has come to the point where it feels I need to make an appointment to go for a walk.

I agree with Julie , Lyle.

Just put on hold for when prices come down and you can do a bigger trip.

Hey you might get here and hate the place then want to go home.

I have a Dutch friend who had some visitors from the old country.

He picked them up from the airport and the went straight to central Australia.

The got scared in the vastness of the outback and went straight back to the airport.

AND they didn’t even try a pie.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

My Auntie in Saskatchewan used to grow championship giant pumpkins I think one was about 400 kilos. I'm not sure how edible they were.

I am impressed Lyle

OMG a 400 kilo pumpkin the mind boggles,  how would you move it... ( a crane )

it would  how big 1 to 1.5 m diameter......

Could you imagine how many pumpkin pies you could make....

Cheers Don....

12 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I am impressed Lyle

OMG a 400 kilo pumpkin the mind boggles,  how would you move it... ( a crane )

it would  how big 1 to 1.5 m diameter......

Could you imagine how many pumpkin pies you could make....

Cheers Don....

It's Saskatchewan Don. Tractors with front end loaders are plentiful so are pick up trucks😁

Edited by Blackduck59

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

We watch a British TV show where they trace lost relatives from adoptions. Every episode it seems there will be a lady who says "me mooom" 🙂 

23 minutes ago, mr walker said:

We watch a British TV show where they trace lost relatives from adoptions. Every episode it seems there will be a lady who says "me mooom" 🙂 

I think that the accent mr Walker, that pommie accent like finger nail down a blackboard.

They spell it mum 

Edited by Chiliburn

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I don't think the attitude of Aussies towards visitors has or will change from what it was pre-COVID. At the moment, our government feels they have to keep the borders closed, but that does not mean that visitors won't be welcomed with open arms when the government decides to open the borders.

9 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm impressed.  I haven't heard of anyone who makes pumpkin pies sweet or savoury in Aust.  My American friends can't imagine pumpkin used as a savoury vegetable.  

I love pumpkin and we sometimes grow. Savoury has herbs, sweet has sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

My friend who comes from Manchester says moom and boos (bus). 

Leigh