re meat pies

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

Just finished my road trip to mid-west NSW. My daughter called it a pie quest. Had my hopes raised by reviews for Denman Bakery.  Alas it was closed due to baker being in hospital. Hope it wasn't from one of his pies. Pie quest was a fail. Not one pie stood out. Not even at the National Arboretum in Canberra. Looked good but no taste. Called in there to donate one of my late wife's books which is going into their rare book library.

image.thumb.png.7af509ad722ef0fb0291da8ba23570dc.png

That dogs eye looks in need of plastic surgery, rather deformed in my view.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lyndarra said:

My son and I have just got home this arvo after attending a niece's wedding on the Gold Coast.

We stopped at Fredo's in Frederickton going up and coming back as it seems nicely placed for having lunch between home and Queensland. Both time I had the minted lamb as well as (today) a spinach and feta sausage roll. The minted lamb pies are so good I don't try any of the others although in years past I have brought some home. Fredo's also had a special of 10 pies for $20 in a frozen pack. Unfortunately for me they were sold out.

My son just had a normal sausage roll which he enjoyed but he's not really into food and doesn't know what vegetables are, but strangely, enjoys cooking but only for other people. He wasn't looking forward to the wedding dinner (breakfast? Is it still called that?) as it was all vegetarian and vegan but found a few things he liked. One was crumbed, deep fried, cauliflower. I heard a few people say they really liked it and that it didn't taste like cauliflower.

Bargain, 10 pies for $20.  I remember calling into Fredos way back in the mid 70's on my journeys up to the Qld border to see my mother and brother/sister, they moved there after my father died in 1975.

Hi all, just had a few days in the country testing out the pies and without a doubt the best pie I ever tasted was from Nanango Country Bakehouse cafe.

It was super busy which was a good sign and we chose a pepper beef from the huge range and got served very quickly 10 in my opinion.

Cheers Carole

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dillpickle48 said:

Yes it was.  Our island home : a Tasmanian sketch book / by Louisa A. Meredith 1879. They were very excited to get it. Even took a photo.

8D1A374A-81DE-4E7B-BB3C-FA52A81A22FA_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.2f0cb301b4b43e0f67e5ff7970e5b765.jpeg

How wonderful that the book is now treasured in a safe place where it will be available for future generations.  You have inspired me to try to find homes for some old family books I have.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Where is Merriwa?  How far?

About 2 hours from me, the kids went to Dubbo for the weekend, including the zoo. Bought us 4 pies home, two chicken mornay, not bad, two chunky lamb and mint were delicious.

17 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

About 2 hours from me, the kids went to Dubbo for the weekend, including the zoo. Bought us 4 pies home, two chicken mornay, not bad, two chunky lamb and mint were delicious.

Chunky lamb and mint pies sound delicious.  

• Like 1

I was watching an episode of an American show called SWAT. Some characters were returning from a trip to Australia and one of them announced the thing they would miss most was our meat pies🤗. Nice to see our meat pies get a shout out on US drama, clearly one of the writers must have had some first hand experiences😉.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I was watching an episode of an American show called SWAT. Some characters were returning from a trip to Australia and one of them announced the thing they would miss most was our meat pies🤗. Nice to see our meat pies get a shout out on US drama, clearly one of the writers must have had some first hand experiences😉.

A pie or a pastie would have to be better than some of their fast food.

Has anyone had a tamale ,real third world food .

image.jpeg.207aff2305695ff8c1209b7301f6be4d.jpeg

4 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Garlos have been exporting meat pies to USA for a while now. Frozen of course.

3649819.jpg.2b580569db5cd3472e1a8245dd575d98.jpg

Edited by NSWP

10 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think Americans think of a pie as a dessert.

There pumpkin pie is pretty average.

A pie base with something like Queensland blue as a filling.

Their pumpkin for pumpkin pies comes out of a tin.  It is a sweet dessert.  Always a feature at Thanksgiving.  

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Their pumpkin for pumpkin pies comes out of a tin.  It is a sweet dessert.  Always a feature at Thanksgiving.  

Yeh 

I couldn’t get my head around thanksgiving.

Something about the pilgrims coming to America,lots of pumpkins ( not in cans) and turkey.

2 minutes ago, kate59 said:

An Aussie but I love my homemade pumpkin or grammar pies. With real filling. I can make them sweet or savoury. Great way to us up excess pumpkin 

Give me a jap pumpkin baked with a leg of lamb.

43 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Yeh 

I couldn’t get my head around thanksgiving.

Something about the pilgrims coming to America,lots of pumpkins ( not in cans) and turkey.

Pilgrim Fathers sailed from England to America. So thanking them.

so it is ketchup on their 🥧 not sauce. I have heard it called ketsup.

Edited by NSWP

44 minutes ago, kate59 said:

An Aussie but I love my homemade pumpkin or grammar pies. With real filling. I can make them sweet or savoury. Great way to us up excess pumpkin 

I'm impressed.  I haven't heard of anyone who makes pumpkin pies sweet or savoury in Aust.  My American friends can't imagine pumpkin used as a savoury vegetable.  

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm impressed.  I haven't heard of anyone who makes pumpkin pies sweet or savoury in Aust.  My American friends can't imagine pumpkin used as a savoury vegetable.  

Perhaps they have another name for it. I dont like pumpkin that much. Have the odd bit.

Edited by NSWP

14 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Perhaps they have another name for it. I dont like pumpkin that much. Have the odd bit.

They scoop out pumpkins for Halloween and through out contents.  

In my youth, pumpkin was mashed with potato so children would eat it!  Roast pumpkin is delicious!

Not so keen on pumpkin in salad.